Virtual Machine

Space646
Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
11 minutes ago, Space646 said:

Yes, windows. I shouldn't have any hardware liminations, I use a ryzen 3700x, 48GB ram. I also heard about VMware. What do you think is better?

If you're on Windows, the two big options are Hyper-V and VirtualBox. Both of them have their pros and cons. If you're gonna use Windows in a VM, I'd use Hyper-V. If you're gonna use Linux, use VirtualBox.

That said, Windows isn't a good virtualization host. If you are doing anything more than spinning up a quick VM to test something, you should probably transition your host machine to Linux and use Redhat KVM and QEMU. Something like VirtManager is a good way to manage everything, and has a ton more features in comparison to anything on Windows.

Hello, I wanted to know what free VM software to use?

Maybe VirtualBox? I don't know

Do you have any sugestions?

Hosted, on Windows ? Pretty much only VirtualBox, yes.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Just now, Juular said:

Hosted, on Windows ? Pretty much only VirtualBox, yes.

Yes, windows. I shouldn't have any hardware liminations, I use a ryzen 3700x, 48GB ram. I also heard about VMware. What do you think is better?

You could also try QEMU or VMware

My Laptop: A MacBook Air 

My Desktop: Don’t have one 

My Phone: An Honor 8s (although I don’t recommend it)

My Favourite OS: Linux

My Console: A Regular PS4

My Tablet: A Huawei Mediapad m5 

Spoiler

QEMU is more advanced but it is good

My Laptop: A MacBook Air 

My Desktop: Don’t have one 

My Phone: An Honor 8s (although I don’t recommend it)

My Favourite OS: Linux

My Console: A Regular PS4

My Tablet: A Huawei Mediapad m5 

Spoiler

So your options are:

• Vmware Player (free, but a bit gimped with some features
  • Virtualbox (FOSS, prety easy to start with and can get more advanced)
  • QEMU (CLi based, pretty advanced)

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

11 minutes ago, Space646 said:

If you're on Windows, the two big options are Hyper-V and VirtualBox. Both of them have their pros and cons. If you're gonna use Windows in a VM, I'd use Hyper-V. If you're gonna use Linux, use VirtualBox.

That said, Windows isn't a good virtualization host. If you are doing anything more than spinning up a quick VM to test something, you should probably transition your host machine to Linux and use Redhat KVM and QEMU. Something like VirtManager is a good way to manage everything, and has a ton more features in comparison to anything on Windows.

5 minutes ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

So your options are:

• Vmware Workstation (free, but a bit gimped with some features
  • Virtualbox (FOSS, prety easy to start with and can get more advanced)
  • QEMU (CLi based, pretty advanced)

Player is the free and gimped version, workstation is the full fat license only version.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

21 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Player is the free and gimped version, workstation is the full fat license only version.

Right.

I Still get those two mixed up. Thanks.

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

Ok, I use Hyper-V. In the "Quick VM maker" it's downloading windows 11 enterprise, but it's 18,49GB. I'll need to wait...