Samsung to build $17B chip factory

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Sure the sea walls could have been higher, were recommended to be increased in height, but the real problem was putting the generators at ground and below ground level. Had they been raised off the ground above flood height cooling power would never have been lost and the incident avoided. Hindsight is really simple, tsunami's are very rear especially of that size and losing all backup power to what was supposed to be a protected sight is a design failure easily made.

Or you know, common sense. Dont build such a structure on the shoreline.......

55 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Not really, from what I remember it was intentionally built there precisely because and for the shoreline.

2 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Not really, from what I remember it was intentionally built there precisely because and for the shoreline.

Large bodies of water is for cooling. Thermal mass carrying capacity.

On 11/26/2021 at 1:08 PM, EDKTech said:

Summary

Samsung announces their plans to build a Computer chip factory to create chips among the global chip shortage. It will be located 30 miles from Austin, TX in a town called "Taylor". Groundbreaking will be next year, and chip production will be started in 2024 (according to Samsung).

This building will be 2.4 Million Square Feet.

Samsung also claims this will provide 2,000 jobs to Texas citizens.

Quotes

My thoughts

I think they chose Texas again because they already hold a large presence there.

Sources

CNET: https://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-to-build-17-billion-chip-factory-in-texas/

CNN: https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/24/tech/samsung-texas-chip-factory-hnk-intl/index.html

maybe this will help, maybe this will do nothing. At this point it is kinda like Russian roulette imo

is water wet?

i don't know what I'm doing either...

On 11/28/2021 at 11:16 AM, jagdtigger said:

No it wasnt, it was sheer incompetence. They simply ignored the possibility of tsunamis. If we look back at nuclear accidents pretty much all of them were caused by one thing: incompetence.

A tsunami far bigger than the biggest recorded tsunami hit, defeating the sea wall and that older nuclear plant design had the emergency generators below sea level. Tsunami was a known risk factor, it was underestimated/nature threw a bigger one. It's worth noting the five newer reactors shut down safely.

It wasn't just incompetence, like most disasters, the chain of causality that led there was long and had many small failures along the way that compounded together.