Need a new gaming mouse

AlTech

Hi there,

I damaged the plastic shell of my Logitech G903 right click button whilst attempting to fix a separate issue I seem to have an issue with some mice which is after a few years of owning them the right click becomes very unreliable and sometimes holding down right click in a game will actually lead to holding right click for a short period before no longer acting like I'm holding down right click. Not sure if it's due to the way I use mice or not but this seems to be a recurring theme.

Needless to say I need a new mouse and I'd like some help to avoid another Logitech situation (TL:DR they don't repair mice even under warranty, they just replace them. My warranty expired).

Edit: Forgot to clarify, I'm right handed.

What I'm looking for in a mouse:

• I have large hands and I usually grip a mouse using palm grip - I used the before you buy gaming mouse thread's instructions on Length and width. Length for my hand is 19cm and width is basically 12cm.
  • I'd prefer if the weight was a bit lighter but it's not gonna be the end of the universe if it's not.
  • I'd very much like 2 buttons on the side of the mouse like the G903 has. This is not a dealbreaker per se but I'd be strongly against any mouse with more than a few buttons on the side of it.
  • I need to be able to buy replacement parts for it if it breaks
  • I don't care for RGB and the mouse finish needs to be matte black. Thanks @soldier_ph for that suggestion.
  • I'm not too bothered if it's wired or wireless but if it's wired the cable needs to be detachable and if it's wireless I'd prefer if it uses USB-C but I can live with it being micro USB.
  • It needs to be a reliable mouse that won't break the second I no longer have warranty

Looking at the options in the before you buy gaming mouse thread I didn't see anything with a detachable cable. If that's particularly hard to find then I'm fine with going wireless.

I'd appreciate any help on this issue.

Thanks - AluminiumTech 🙂.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

A few I would recommend personally:

SteelSeries Prime Wireless - Uses an optical switch rather than Omron switch that is most common in mice. It does cost a bit more at around $100 US, but so far has been great and has a very very satisfying click sound and a shape very similar to the Zowie EC2. Type C charging. Probably not very user serviceable and with it being non standard switches, may not be available for user replacement easily. (Current Daily Driver for the past 2 months)

Glorious Model D - Good lightweight mouse that they just recently released a wireless version of. I have 2 of the wired, one black, one white. Clicks can feel a bit mushy and odd at times like its not sitting right on the post, but they are. Also they are a honeycomb design so it is lightweight, but do develop a creek after use. Switches are your garden variety Omron switches that can be replaced with some quick soldering work. 

Razer Viper Ultimate - Uses a proprietary razer in house developed optical switch. It is a more ambidextrous mouse overall. I bought one for the wife since they had a pink variant, but I am not to fond of the shape overall personally as I have a similar grip style as you and and slightly narrower hand at 10cm wide. For charging there is a magnetic stand you set it on to charge, or it also has Micro B for wired.

PWNAGE Ultra Custom Ergo - A very modular mouse that you can mix and match different colors for the buttons, shell etc. A very unique selling point. It to has a similar body type to the Zowie EC2 and a lightweight ergo mouse design that I feel is a good fit for my hand and grip. Only problem for me again is the creek mine developed over time since it is a honeycomb design. Switches are your garden variety Omron switches that can be replaced with some quick soldering work. Has Type C for charging. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

11 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

SteelSeries Prime Wireless - Uses an optical switch rather than Omron switch that is most common in mice. It does cost a bit more at around $100 US, but so far has been great and has a very very satisfying click sound and a shape very similar to the Zowie EC2. Type C charging. Probably not very user serviceable and with it being non standard switches, may not be available for user replacement easily. (Current Daily Driver for the past 2 months)

The user serviceability thing only is just cos I don't want to run into another situation down the line where having it repaired by the OEM isn't an option.

I'm guessing this'll be the case for most mice.

It looks like the wired version of that mouse does have a detachable cable and is significantly cheaper so if I were okay with the lack of user serviceability it'd be definitely a top contender.

11 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

PWNAGE Ultra Custom Ergo - A very modular mouse that you can mix and match different colors for the buttons, shell etc. A very unique selling point. It to has a similar body type to the Zowie EC2 and a lightweight ergo mouse design that I feel is a good fit for my hand and grip. Only problem for me again is the creek mine developed over time since it is a honeycomb design. Switches are your garden variety Omron switches that can be replaced with some quick soldering work. Has Type C for charging. 

Ooooh. This looks nice. It looks like it comes with a solid shell option for the top which I would imagine reduces the creeky sound/noises. The availability of replacement parts as well is comforting. Tbh I may end up going for this barring any dealbreakers I find with it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Glorious Model D - Good lightweight mouse that they just recently released a wireless version of. I have 2 of the wired, one black, one white. Clicks can feel a bit mushy and odd at times like its not sitting right on the post, but they are. Also they are a honeycomb design so it is lightweight, but do develop a creek after use. Switches are your garden variety Omron switches that can be replaced with some quick soldering work. 

Razer Viper Ultimate - Uses a proprietary razer in house developed optical switch. It is a more ambidextrous mouse overall. I bought one for the wife since they had a pink variant, but I am not to fond of the shape overall personally as I have a similar grip style as you and and slightly narrower hand at 10cm wide. For charging there is a magnetic stand you set it on to charge, or it also has Micro B for wired.

I have the Razer and it’s been great for me, 

Just now, Imbadatnames said:

I have the Razer and it’s been great for me, 

not saying its a bad mouse, just the shape may not be suitable for all hand types and sizes. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, Skiiwee29 said:

not saying its a bad mouse, just the shape may not be suitable for all hand types and sizes. 

I get that but they do other shapes In the “ultimate” range with the same switches, sensors and connectivity. 

I've made my decision. After speaking with @SilentprototipeI'm going to be going with a mouse recommended in the before you buy a gaming mouse thread. Basically I realised that at this point there's no real mouse option which is super repairable or replaceable and that the detachable cord thing won't make a difference anyways.

So I reluctantly decided to go with the steel series Rival 310. It looks like a great mouse but its a bit of a buzz kill that no mouse is truly repairable or designed to last.

Thanks to all those that helped show me different good mice. I will also be trying to fix my G903 with spare parts from China.

22 hours ago, Imbadatnames said:

I get that but they do other shapes In the “ultimate” range with the same switches, sensors and connectivity. 

I was talking specifically about the RVU. My biggest complaint about it in very limited use of it since its my wifes is that while ambidextrous, it feels like it has a slope to the left, causing even more pronation of the wrist and bones than normal. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig