[Upgrade] Need help picking a new motherboard and CPU cooler

Bamieschijf

Budget (including currency): 550 euro

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Games (Tripple-A games), mostly MMO's 

Current build:

• Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7500 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz
  • RAM: 16 GB (2x 8GB)
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
  • Power: be quiet! Pure Power 10 (600w) - Model: L10-CM-600W
  • Monitors: 2x Acer VG242Y P 23.8" 1ms 165 Hz
  • SSD: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500 GB
  • HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2 TB ST2000DM006-2DM164

I would like to upgrade my processor to the Ryzen 7 5800X. Additionally I would like to add two extra 8 GB ram drives so that I have a total of 32 GB of RAM, I'll just buy the same RAM drives so that I have 4 of the same ones. Besides that I would also like to add a Samsung 980 M.2 NVME 1 TB SSD so my motherboard would need to have a M.2 slot. In the future I will probably upgrade my graphics card as well. My question to you lots is:

• Which cooling do you recommend for the Ryzen 7 (I don't mind adding an easy water cooling set-up).
  • Which motherboard do you recommend?
    • I am leaning towards the Gigabyte B550 AORUS Elite V2, but I am not sure how it competes against the Asus ROG Strix X570-E etc.
    • Background info: I am just building a rather 'casual' gaming pc. I have noticed that Asus allows multiple graphic cards (CrossFire), but I don't need this. Neither do I need the additonal slots it has for storage, the slots Gigabyte offers are enough for me. Besides that I am not sure which benefits the Asus has for me (it's 266 euro while the Gigabyte is only 99 euro).
  • Can I keep my power supply?

I would like to thank you in advance for helping me out with this.

Best regards,

Gigabyte boards look good on paper but I'd recommend the asus if you ever intend to overclock. Gigabyte bios settings are a nightmare.

the 5800x is a fantastic cpu, noctua d15 am4 variant is the cpu cooler I'd recommend tbh. for your needs though the gigabyte should probably be okay, and I just have had a horror story my self trying to tame my 9900k with an aurus elite z390 motherboard I returned within days because they literally deleted important bios settings to overclock for me. Had good VRM's but one of the worst bios I've ever seen.

32gb ram will do you just fine by doubling up for the life of that cpu I'm pretty sure

5600x will more than do for your current gpu or even my 3090 but if you want to upgrade through generations, tbh the extra two cores will really be clutch IMO

Anyway, Hope I helped somehow

5 hours ago, Bamieschijf said:

Samsung 980 M.2 NVME 1 TB SSD

wouldn't recommend that drive. It's actually a budget dramless drive, the 970 evo plus is faster than that drive (good job on confusing everyone samsung). The 980 pro is the gen 4 drive.

If you're looking for a good deal on gen 4 drives, I believe the Crucial p5 plus is currently on sale.

For some nice nvme drives with dram, you can check these out:

Samsung 970 Evo Plus

Western Digital SN750

Intel 670p

5 hours ago, Bamieschijf said:

Gigabyte B550 AORUS Elite V2, but I am not sure how it competes against the Asus ROG Strix X570-E

The B550 is plenty for the 5800X. I would only recommend the Rog Strix board if you plan to get the 5950x

9 hours ago, CptnReflex said:

Gigabyte boards look good on paper but I'd recommend the asus if you ever intend to overclock. Gigabyte bios settings are a nightmare.

the 5800x is a fantastic cpu, noctua d15 am4 variant is the cpu cooler I'd recommend tbh. for your needs though the gigabyte should probably be okay, and I just have had a horror story my self trying to tame my 9900k with an aurus elite z390 motherboard I returned within days because they literally deleted important bios settings to overclock for me. Had good VRM's but one of the worst bios I've ever seen.

32gb ram will do you just fine by doubling up for the life of that cpu I'm pretty sure

5600x will more than do for your current gpu or even my 3090 but if you want to upgrade through generations, tbh the extra two cores will really be clutch IMO

Anyway, Hope I helped somehow

Thank you for your help! My current cooler does not fit on a AM4 socket, so I am going to buy the Noctua NH-D15. I have considered the Asus motherboard but it's just way too expensive compared to the Gigabyte one. Since I don't really plan on overclocking my CPU (at the moment), I think it's better for me to stick with the Gigabyte.

4 hours ago, Jonathan Lee said:

wouldn't recommend that drive. It's actually a budget dramless drive, the 970 evo plus is faster than that drive (good job on confusing everyone samsung). The 980 pro is the gen 4 drive.

If you're looking for a good deal on gen 4 drives, I believe the Crucial p5 plus is currently on sale.

For some nice nvme drives with dram, you can check these out:

Samsung 970 Evo Plus

Western Digital SN750

Intel 670p

The B550 is plenty for the 5800X. I would only recommend the Rog Strix board if you plan to get the 5950x

Oh, I didn't know that about the Samsung 980.. I'll be getting the 970Evo Plus then. Thank you!