Ryzen 7 3700x - Dark Rock Pro 4 or 240mm AIO?

Budget (including currency): £80 - £100

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Heavy gaming and video editing. 

Other details Looking for suggestions for cooling my 3700x. I currently have a Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 which idles around the low/mid 30s and mid 70s under heavy stress. I was wondering if a 240mm AIO would provide lower temperatures? I keep seeing people suggest the Arctic Freezer 240mm but is there any others that people would suggest? Budget is £100 at most.

Thanks in advance 🙂

i went to 240mm from a dark rock pro 4. 5c drop. 70c is perfectly fine, only get it for cosmetic purposes. aios also do have more thermal mass meaning they dont ramp up as much in bursty situations but you probably dont need it 

17 hours ago, Tan3l6 said:

No point for AIO if you  are not going to OC.

The point is they look better and work as well or better than air.

I had a 240 aio on my ryzen 3600x, swapped to a shadow Rock 3,swapped back to the aio because it looks better, is quieter and temps are slightly better

17 hours ago, EuphoricG37 said:

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Heavy gaming and video editing. 

Other details Looking for suggestions for cooling my 3700x. I currently have a Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 which idles around the low/mid 30s and mid 70s under heavy stress. I was wondering if a 240mm AIO would provide lower temperatures? I keep seeing people suggest the Arctic Freezer 240mm but is there any others that people would suggest? Budget is £100 at most.

Thanks in advance 🙂

You'll probably get slightly lower temps on the AIO and depending on which one you get it'll look better and be quieter than the air cooler.

I have my 240mm AIO on the front and the two fans act as my system intakes.

I have two exhaust fans at the back of my PC.

When I was using the air cooler I found that I still needed the existing 4 fans but that I now also had a 5th fan (on the cooler) as well as my gpu 3x fans at the bottom of my case.

This seemed to churn the air in the middle of the case and therefore my other component temps like gpu, ram and m.2 all were a f ew degrees higher than with the AIO.

So for me the AIO is the best option.

I have 3 different AIO in use at home. in one pc I have a cooler master liquid lite 120mm which has an absolutely silent pump even at 100% speed but the included fan isn't great so I swapped it for an arctic p12 fan. The cooler master looks nice with a light up logo on the pump and has been running flawlessly for about 3 years.

I also have a 120mm Arctic liquid freezer AIO which has an almost silent pump and comes with a decent arctic fan which did not need changed. There is also a tiny fan on the pump which doesn't seem to make much of a difference to temps or noise.

The Arctic doesn't have any lights on it and is not the best looking unit. It works well but I'd go for a cooler master over the Arctic freezer.

On my main pc I have a 240 mm ID Cooling Auraflow X240 Snow Edition. excellent temps, great looking thing with rgb on the pump and included rgb fans although I found them a little noisy so I swapped them for arctic p12 and now it is perfect. Pump noise was audible above 80% so I just have the pump set to a steady 80% and the whole thing is silent.

17 hours ago, EuphoricG37 said:

Thanks in advance 🙂

Judging by the low temps you are not overclocking (cpu oc is dead anyways so whatever)

240mm is a cosmetic only, actually a downgrade in terms of longevity cause that drp4 is just a hunk of metal and all you need to do is replace the fans every decade or 2, but an aio if the pump dies then you have to buy a new one

Just keep the drp4, itll basically last you till the end of your pc building days assuming you dont go into hedt territorywhere the coldplate may be too small for an hedt cpu die like threadripper

Save your money TBH. That temp is perfectly fine.