I need a GPU...

Invincible Sugar

Ahhh, my GTX 1070 is now dead. I think my used eGPU enclosure killed it, although it didn't pop and smoke until I installed it in my new replacement Razor Core X. The enclosure appears to be fine. Not sure what killed what... but I need a GPU now.

I don't do much gaming, beyond Garry's mod. I need to power 4 external sub 4k displays and occasionally game with Garry's mod. I know GPUs are crazy expensive so does anyone have a recommendation that's not being scalped to high heaven and can meet those needs? Really anything similar to the 1070 would be fine... thanks!

38 minutes ago, Invincible Sugar said:

does anyone have a recommendation that's not being scalped to high heaven and can meet those needs

No , currently all gpu's even 5 year old used examples are priced beyond their value. Were there a source for gpu less than what they are priced at on average that sourced would be depleted before it became known. 

Your only hope would be to get lucky with a RX 6600/3060 at MSRP or to get really lucky on Craigslist. If there was a way that anyone could get a GPU similar to a 1070 for less than $250, it would be gone within an hour in the current market. Granted, sometimes you can get lucky with whole gaming rigs on Craigslist/FB Market place for crazy cheap, but they're still pretty rare and you'd have to go through the effort of flipping everything else to make it worth it. 

If you've got to look from scalpers, 980 Tis are probably the cheapest card that will get you in that performance tier. 

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

If you've got to look from scalpers, 980 Tis are probably the cheapest card that will get you in that performance tier. 

What if I give up on that one game, and just worry about connecting four monitors? Are there any really basic graphics cards that just get you extra displays?

4 minutes ago, Invincible Sugar said:

What if I give up on that one game, and just worry about connecting four monitors? Are there any really basic graphics cards that just get you extra displays?

Most pretty basic cards should let you connect 4 monitors. My 750 Ti has 4 display outs on it, and there are some even worse cards that will let you do that.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2621454371499593/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3Aed86550e-2c74-46a1-9abb-f4336bd63e45

A quick google of "GPU" of FB marketplace shipping brought up this, and while it's not great, it should do the job, and I'm sure there are similar deals available on eBay as well. 

7 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Most pretty basic cards should let you connect 4 monitors. My 750 Ti has 4 display outs on it, and there are some even worse cards that will let you do that

I found this one, it can arrive Tuesday and it's new with a warranty. Considering I still don't know if it's my enclosures or cards dying, this is now my 5th failure of one or the other, I'd prefer having a warrenty. Everything else so far that's died on me was used. New Razor Core X, new card, hopefully no issues...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N3QHCIN/

1 minute ago, Invincible Sugar said:

I found this one, it can arrive Tuesday and it's new with a warranty. Considering I still don't know if it's my enclosures or cards dying, this is now my 5th failure of one or the other, I'd prefer having a warrenty. Everything else so far that's died on me was used. New Razor Core X, new card, hopefully no issues...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N3QHCIN/

I mean, you can probably buy 3 of them from the used market for the price you're gonna be paying for it new. That's a $30-50 card, not a $160 card, even in this current market

6 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I mean, you can probably buy 3 of them from the used market for the price you're gonna be paying for it new. That's a $30-50 card, not a $160 card, even in this current market

Well it's not just the guarantee that a new one with a warranty can be replaced. It's also downtime. A used card is more likely to fail, won't arrive in 72 hours, and it's replacement when it fials will again take longer than Amazon, maybe not any longer than an RMA through the manufacturer but still... I need to be up and running asap.

If the used card takes 7 more days to arrive and costs $90 less that's worth it to me, that $90 is only about 4.5 hours of my time. But some $500 1070 replacement card is $1100 that $600 is not worth it to me...