AMD driver update bricked my computer.

The Friendly Elite

Super pissed. 

So I decided I would stop neglecting updating my graphics drivers and updated them to the most recent one (Adrenalin 20.10.2) on my RX 580. 

Well, that was a mistake. As when I reset my computer to finish installing the drivers I got a black screen when the computer turned on. Reset the computer like 4 times and it did nothing. This has happened before the last time I tried to update them and I got the same issue hence why i was neglecting updating them. Eventually I got display again after I reset it for the 40th time about 7 hours later, but I still had old drivers. Help would be appreciated before I smash this card with a sledgehammer and never buy an AMD product again.

(Insert edgy teen quote here)

If the gap between drivers is big enough, there's a small chance installation process couldn't fully understand what to replace & failed. Try using DDU so the new driver has a clear path. You were lucky enough to have an automatic safe point, which is why you still have the old driver and a working boot drive. Please refrain from annihilating the PC.

the pc guy

should probably be checking for board stability updates before blaming the working gpu

15 minutes ago, Forleb said:

If the gap between drivers is big enough, there's a small chance installation process couldn't fully understand what to replace & failed. Try using DDU so the new driver has a clear path. You were lucky enough to have an automatic safe point, which is why you still have the old driver and a working boot drive. Please refrain from annihilating the PC.

So how do I get the screens working  again to use DDU?

2 hours ago, The Friendly Elite said:

Eventually I got display again after I reset it for the 40th time

Did you do the same thing again?...

the pc guy

10 minutes ago, Forleb said:

Did you do the same thing again?...

Was hoping I wouldn't have to wait 7 hours for it to sort itself out but ill use DDU when I get display again. I'll keep you updated. Really appreciate the help homie.

Update: did what Forleb said and it worked great. Drivers are now updated and games working great now. 

Really appreciate the help guys!