should i be worried about bottle necking?

nichijew777

UPDATE: Thanks for the replies guys!

we all know about the GPU shortage, and I have all the parts of a new PC ready to go. I was going to get a 3070 but then the shortage and bitcoiners hit

right now, I have a midtier build with an RX580.

my cpu is a ryzen 3700x, which means its gonna bottleneck pretty bad. but would it be that bad? I play games but I also do 3d modeling for my school (engineering degree shit)

would the RX580 damage any components with the 3700x cpu? or would it just bottleneck?

nah, it can,t damage your components, just a little bit of bottleneck

If you're running flat out without any frame rate limiter, something is always going to bottleneck - either you need more CPU or more GPU, nothing is ever a perfectly balanced build for more than a single application - and this is completely normal.  But, seriously, if bottlenecking damaged things, people with iGPUs or GT1030's would be killing their machines left and right from it!

Bottlenecks don't damage components. The main thing to worry about in that regard is whether or not your power supply is good. That card requires a good amount of power and it'll be running full tilt.

Also, depending on the game, resolution, settings, and target FPS, the RX 580 isn't a bad pairing for a 3700X. Yeah, the 3700X can handle a more powerful card, but the RX 580 isn't awful. If you're playing with competitive settings at 1080p, it can do alright. It can also handle plenty of modern single player games at 1080p medium/high while getting over 60fps.

Basically, while not ideal, don't feel like you're crippling your rig. I've seen worse combos in the past year. It's not like you're putting an RX 550 or GT 1030 on there.

7 hours ago, Dinasu said:

nah, it can,t damage your components, just a little bit of bottleneck

1 hour ago, YoungBlade said:

Bottlenecks don't damage components. The main thing to worry about in that regard is whether or not your power supply is good. That card requires a good amount of power and it'll be running full tilt.

Also, depending on the game, resolution, settings, and target FPS, the RX 580 isn't a bad pairing for a 3700X. Yeah, the 3700X can handle a more powerful card, but the RX 580 isn't awful. If you're playing with competitive settings at 1080p, it can do alright. It can also handle plenty of modern single player games at 1080p medium/high while getting over 60fps.

Basically, while not ideal, don't feel like you're crippling your rig. I've seen worse combos in the past year. It's not like you're putting an RX 550 or GT 1030 on there.

2 hours ago, jec6613 said:

If you're running flat out without any frame rate limiter, something is always going to bottleneck - either you need more CPU or more GPU, nothing is ever a perfectly balanced build for more than a single application - and this is completely normal.  But, seriously, if bottlenecking damaged things, people with iGPUs or GT1030's would be killing their machines left and right from it!

thank you guys!~