Noctua Fan Swap... in a humidifier???

partypants

I recently got a Canopy Humidifier (which now that I have it seems like one of the most overpriced humidifiers with BS "smart" claims that aren't very helpful, but my first choice has been sold out forever or was discontinued so here we are) and at max speed it is LOUD. It looks like the fan is a pretty standard form factor, but I'm having trouble figuring out the specs. From the imprint on the fan hub ("PBT-GF30-FR(17)") I think I've found a data sheet and I can see it's a 3-pin fan, but I'm having trouble figuring out which model it is and whether the NF-A9-FLX will be compatible. It definitely looks like a 25mm depth, but I'll have to remove it to make sure it's a 92mm fan and not a 90mm. I'm more concerned with getting the right model, but I don't see any other indicators on the humidifier's fan. There is a black sticker covering the other side of the hub and I don't really want to remove it in case I can't get a Noctua to fit. Can anyone speak to the electronics compatibility?

IMG_0374.jpg

humidifier_exploded_view-graphics.png

It's just a generic 12v fan so basically connect the positive and negative of the noctua to the correct wire and boom it will work. Probably some room if the fan is a tiny bit bigger.

The marking on the fan hub is the material spec for the plastic it's made out of. 30 percent glass-reinforced PBT.

If you can pop the top cover off and measure the fan mounting hole spacing that should tell you what will fit.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

1 hour ago, RAS_3885 said:

If you can pop the top cover off and measure the fan mounting hole spacing that should tell you what will fit.

Is it from the center of each mounting hole?

22 minutes ago, partypants said:

Is it from the center of each mounting hole?

Yes.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

I know this forum is in love with Noctua, but swapping in a Noctua may actually reduce the performance of this device. Noctua makes great computer fans, but they aren’t the best fan for literally everything. The stock fan probably moves a lot more air than a Noctua and that’s why it’s so loud.

Also unless you’re looking at a label or have measured the voltage manually, don’t assume it’s a standard 12v fan. Even a fan that looks exactly like what you find in a PC could run on 48vdc or even AC. 

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to update: It's not a 12v fan. I double checked the circuit board and it's powered by USB-C, and shows a 5V lead on the board. Unfortunately, I bought a 5V version of NF-A9 FLX (3-pin) and that didn't work either. If the power to the humidifier is plugged in, the fan spins at low speed (regardless of whether the soft power is toggled on or off). Changing the speed settings did nothing. I don't have the electrical expertise to troubleshoot, so the swap is a no-go for my purposes. I'll have to live with the loud fan and just keep the humidifier as far from me as possible unfortunately.