SSD shows up in BIOS but nowhere else

LY0NYX
Go to solution Solved by TheBean,

1. skylake isnt that old

2. if the bios can detect it but not windows, its likely just an issue with windows itself. try getting a linux usb and see if that can detect the drive. also, try resetting the bios to default settings and see if that helps. 

Hi everyone. Bit of a strange one here.

I recently upgraded from skylake (old I know) to alderlake. The motherboard and cpu arrived and my cooler lga 1700 bracket arrived so I swapped out all the parts. I had an error INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE on my name m.2 ssd that had the previous installation of windows on it, so I was forced to format my other SATA ssd and disconnect my m.2 to install windows onto the SATA drive. But when I reattached my M.2, it won’t show up, only in the BIOS and nowhere else. It’s not in device manager, disk manager and not even DISKPART in cmd line. I reinstalled the IDE ATA/ATAPI drivers to no avail. I’m completely stumped. It worked completely fine as my boot drive yesterday on skylake but is not nowhere to be seen on my new build. 

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

LY0NYX 

1. skylake isnt that old

2. if the bios can detect it but not windows, its likely just an issue with windows itself. try getting a linux usb and see if that can detect the drive. also, try resetting the bios to default settings and see if that helps. 

Solved. The BIOS the MOBO comes with had an error where it didn’t recognise m.2 drives at all, a simple Q Flash Bios update fixed it! 

Thanks for the help Mr Bean!