Insane image burn in on LCD display after just 1 minute? WTF

RejZoR

I'm aware that OLED are susceptible to image burn in which can happen from prolonged exposure to same image, but what I'm just experiencing is something I've never heard of. I know even LCD's can have some "burn in" effect to a degree, but what I'm getting is crazy. If I leave server browser list from a game on display without change for just 1 minute and it'll burn the thing into display and it'll take several minutes of moving images for the damn thing to disappear. And I thought it's just a glitch or something as I just updated NVIDIA drivers, but I rebooted system and image was imprinted in there even inside BIOS. It's impossible for a game to glitch in such a way.

I've had few LCD displays, some very early and I also had an ASUS 144Hz one before and none has ever done this. And I've never heard of anything this extreme for LCD ever. OLED, CRT or Plasma yes and even that after long exposure to same image. Not in 1 damn minute.

Is this monitor fubar or something that it has suddenly started doing this? Anyone ever heard of anything like this? And maybe I'm taking a crazy pill, but I can't seem to get this same image burn in on desktop this way. I set background to black and left open notepad in same area where I could see burn in over start menu. Nothing. Not even a slight hint of it. What the hell? How is this even possible?

1 minute ago, dilpickle said:

What monitor is it.

Also that is called image retention not burn in.

Image retention, burn in, same shit. It's the same effect that drives me nuts as I see old image over the current one. Monitor is Gigabyte G27Q.

1 minute ago, RejZoR said:

Image retention, burn in, same shit. It's the same effect that drives me nuts as I see old image over the current one. Monitor is Gigabyte G27Q.

Yeah you have a broken display. That is not at all supposed to happen as I've had plenty of those pass by me at this point. That's a doa unit.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Yeah you have a broken display. That is not at all supposed to happen as I've had plenty of those pass by me at this point. That's a doa unit.

Yeah, but any idea why it doesn't seem to happen on desktop even if I try? Doesn't make sense, if it was issue with panel it should happen anywhere.

49 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Yeah, but any idea why it doesn't seem to happen on desktop even if I try? Doesn't make sense, if it was issue with panel it should happen anywhere.

Might be windows doing a power save with a still image or because the game is driving the display hard at max refresh rate.

Honestly I'd say try a different system on it and see if it happens. Also a different cable with the original and other system to see if it happens. If it does then there is for sure something wrong.

7 hours ago, jaslion said:

Might be windows doing a power save with a still image or because the game is driving the display hard at max refresh rate.

Honestly I'd say try a different system on it and see if it happens. Also a different cable with the original and other system to see if it happens. If it does then there is for sure something wrong.

I've made a screenshot of the server list menu and left it full screen on desktop for 30 minutes. ZERO retention. Dafuck?! I don't see how can screen be driven harder in game when desktop runs at 144Hz too...

3 hours ago, RejZoR said:

I've made a screenshot of the server list menu and left it full screen on desktop for 30 minutes. ZERO retention. Dafuck?! I don't see how can screen be driven harder in game when desktop runs at 144Hz too...

I honestly think you have a screen with some wonky software on it then that causes it to overdrive the screen when it detects certain loads.

Again just return it and get a new one.

15 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I honestly think you have a screen with some wonky software on it then that causes it to overdrive the screen when it detects certain loads.

Again just return it and get a new one.

Not that simple because it sucks sending it half way across Europe for RMA. A freaking display that I never ever in my life had to RMA... Sigh. Gigabyte you pile of crap...

21 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Not that simple because it sucks sending it half way across Europe for RMA. A freaking display that I never ever in my life had to RMA... Sigh. Gigabyte you pile of crap...

I mean it's just being unlucky. I've had it happen before with so many products I always make sure I buy from a store with good return handling.

I had one old TV which had that insane burn in. That happens when you use a screen for a very long time

And the problem seem to be gone all by itself over night. Heh. Go figure. Tried leaving same game in same menu for half an hour and nothing. It must have been some sort of super bizarre freak bug. I seem to be kinda famous to attract those...

On 11/16/2021 at 11:14 PM, dilpickle said:

Also that is called image retention not burn in.

There is no technical definition of what "burn-in" is. It's often used to call out the pixel degradation of OLED pixels, sometimes it's mentioned when an LCD has image retention. In the end it doesn't matter as all these technical issues describe the same visual artifact.

On 11/18/2021 at 8:09 AM, RejZoR said:

And the problem seem to be gone all by itself over night. Heh. Go figure. Tried leaving same game in same menu for half an hour and nothing. It must have been some sort of super bizarre freak bug. I seem to be kinda famous to attract those...

All kinds of random problems can appear with electronics, even if they worked perfectly before and after. I was thinking it was just your display dying, but as it fixed itself i'm not sure anymore.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

3 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

There is no technical definition of what "burn-in" is. It's often used to call out the pixel degradation of OLED pixels, sometimes it's mentioned when an LCD has image retention. In the end it doesn't matter as all these technical issues describe the same visual artifact.

All kinds of random problems can appear with electronics, even if they worked perfectly before and after. I was thinking it was just your display dying, but as it fixed itself i'm not sure anymore.

I've had LCD's for like 15 years and one had a bad cap after years of use which I replaced and it worked fine. Never had such bizarre thing.

19 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

I've had LCD's for like 15 years and one had a bad cap after years of use which I replaced and it worked fine. Never had such bizarre thing.

That's just the slight chance of randomness that is introduced if you have a complex electronics procuct. Like a monitor with millions of pixels that each have to be individually controlled multiple times a second.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.