general question for Wireless mice users

Killertaker

I had a general question out of curiosity. If you have a wireless mice. Do you turn off your mouse with the switch on the bottom of the mouse over night/when not using the mouse? Do you have scroll wheel issues? How long for issues to pop up? What about left and right click? Does anyone know if flipping the mouse upside down mess up scroll wheel/left and right click?

I have the Razer Mamba wireless and Logitech G703 wireless, and I have scroll wheel issues with both of them early in there life (even after I got a replacement). They're both now out of warranty. I have also developed left and right click issues (after a year or less of owning both mice). I was wondering if the issue is from me flipping my mice a lot, or gaming mice are design with planned obsolescence. I am aware G703 has also had scroll wheel issues (from looking at a lot of reviews).

Ive had the G703 Lightspeed for just over a year now, no issues with it. However I've also picked up the lightspeed mousepad which wirelessly charges the mouse. Therefore as long as my mouse is always on the mousepad it's always got juice!

3 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Ive had the G703 Lightspeed for just over a year now, no issues with it. However I've also picked up the lightspeed mousepad which wirelessly charges the mouse. Therefore as long as my mouse is always on the mousepad it's always got juice!

From the wireless charging I'm guessing you don't flip mouse much to turn it off. I ask because I have a feeling that mice in general really hate being flipped upside down. Or maybe i'm just an abusive mouse owner w/out knowing it...?

3 minutes ago, Killertaker said:

From the wireless charging I'm guessing you don't flip mouse much to turn it off. I ask because I have a feeling that mice in general really hate being flipped upside down. Or maybe i'm just an abusive mouse owner w/out knowing it...?

You're abusive, if that's the only other option.  Mice don't have parts that are effected by orientation.  Everything is in place.

Maybe just let it go to sleep, it's built in to save the battery.  No need to always turn them off.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

15 minutes ago, Killertaker said:

I had a general question out of curiosity. If you have a wireless mice. Do you turn off your mouse with the switch on the bottom of the mouse over night/when not using the mouse?

G703 user. No, I do not.

15 minutes ago, Killertaker said:

Do you have scroll wheel issues? How long for issues to pop up? What about left and right click? Does anyone know if flipping the mouse upside down mess up scroll wheel/left and right click?

I have the Razer Mamba wireless and Logitech G703 wireless, and I have scroll wheel issues with both of them early in there life (even after I got a replacement). They're both now out of warranty. I have also developed left and right click issues (after a year or less of owning both mice). I was wondering if the issue is from me flipping my mice a lot, or gaming mice are design with planned obsolescence. I am aware G703 has also had scroll wheel issues (from looking at a lot of reviews).

I'm on my third G703, call me a glutton for punishment. The first two were non-HERO models and both developed either left or right click issues. This is a common thing with Logitech.

If my third one succumbs to this, its being replaced with Razers Viper Ultimate with optical switches. 

1 minute ago, Dedayog said:

You're abusive, if that's the only other option.  Mice don't have parts that are effected by orientation.  Everything is in place.

Maybe just let it go to sleep, it's built in to save the battery.  No need to always turn them off.

From personal experience built in sleep mode doesn't help. (from like over a week of use without charging, to maybe 3 days). I am assuming small movement in the house (we get small earth quacks and honestly walling also shakes the house sometimes lol). I'll admit I do sometimes spam my left and right click button for no good reason, or scroll for no reason but I just feel mice should be able to handle that?

8 minutes ago, Killertaker said:

No I do not flip the mouse, but if I had to, I would likely hold it, turn it upside down and turn it off without setting it down while it's upside down.

1 minute ago, rickeo said:

I'm on my third G703

That's strange indeed. I wonder if there's some QC issues at play? I own 4 logitech mice, 1 of them being almost 20 years old. Otherwise I have the G502, G703 and the G pro wireless. None have suffered any mis-clicks or the like. I'd also wager the hours that they have been put through is fairly high.

Just now, NinJake said:

No I do not flip the mouse, but if I had to, I would likely hold it, turn it upside down and turn it off without setting it down while it's upside down.

That's strange indeed. I wonder if there's some QC issues at play? I own 4 logitech mice, 1 of them being almost 20 years old. Otherwise I have the G502, G703 and the G pro wireless. None have suffered any mis-clicks or the like. I'd also wager the hours that they have been put through is fairly high.

Logitech and double clicking issues are as common as can be on the internet after a quick google search. 

The G703 HERO, so far, has been fine after a year or so. My two previous models were non-HERO models though i'm not sure the microswitches were any different. 

15 minutes ago, rickeo said:

Logitech and double clicking issues are as common as can be on the internet after a quick google search. 

The G703 HERO, so far, has been fine after a year or so. My two previous models were non-HERO models though i'm not sure the microswitches were any different. 

Yeah, with my logitech G703, I have had scroll wheel issues, then double click, and recently no rig on clicks which also means randomly "letting go" of either left or right click when you hold click.

2 hours ago, Killertaker said:

I had a general question out of curiosity. If you have a wireless mice. Do you turn off your mouse with the switch on the bottom of the mouse over night/when not using the mouse? Do you have scroll wheel issues? How long for issues to pop up? What about left and right click? Does anyone know if flipping the mouse upside down mess up scroll wheel/left and right click?

I have a model o wireless

I had a squeaky scroll wheel, but I fixed it, for a bit I had a sort of squeaky right click, but that fixed itself

I don't turn it off when I go to bed, I just plug it in, and I haven't had any issues apart from the ones I just listed

░█▀▀█ ▒█░░░ ▒█▀▀▄ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▀▀█   ▒█░░░ ░█▀▀█ ▒█░▄▀ ▒█▀▀▀ 
▒█▄▄█ ▒█░░░ ▒█░▒█ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▄▄▀   ▒█░░░ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▀▄░ ▒█▀▀▀ 
▒█░▒█ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▄▄▀ ▒█▄▄▄ ▒█░▒█   ▒█▄▄█ ▒█░▒█ ▒█░▒█ ▒█▄▄▄

Every logitech mouse I've owned in the last 8 years or so has lasted a matter of months before problems. Their wireless mice are fantastic, but it prevents me from wanting to drop so much on a g502 wireless when it's the same low quality as the recent g502s, which my current one is only a few months old and almost kapoot. If I'm going to get a mouse thats gonna double click and have a junky scroll wheel in a few months, I'm sticking with the 30-40$ wired ones. 

I will say it's not necessary to flip them, but doing so is not the cause of either the double clicking or the scroll wheel problems. Just using them normally is. 

Take this from someone who literally has a drawer FULL of gaming mice of many brands some many many years old, they don't make them like they used to, especially Logitech. 

As for when logitech starting having these issues the first mouse from them i had with double clicking was all the way back to the g600. 
They are willing to just replace without you sending them back these days I've heard, they'd rather pay for good support than just better mice, so if you're willing to deal with getting a few RMAs that might work for you. Some guy on reddit says he's done it more than a dozen times. 
I've also heard there are other more appropriate switches you can solder yourself to say a g502 or their other mice too I assume, but it's not just the buttons that break on my 502s so YMMV on a different mouse but maybe just get one and replace the switches yourself with better ones. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

23 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Every logitech mouse I've owned in the last 8 years or so has lasted a matter of months before problems. Their wireless mice are fantastic, but it prevents me from wanting to drop so much on a g502 wireless when it's the same low quality as the recent g502s, which my current one is only a few months old and almost kapoot. If I'm going to get a mouse thats gonna double click and have a junky scroll wheel in a few months, I'm sticking with the 30-40$ wired ones. 

I will say it's not necessary to flip them, but doing so is not the cause of either the double clicking or the scroll wheel problems. Just using them normally is. 

Take this from someone who literally has a drawer FULL of gaming mice of many brands some many many years old, they don't make them like they used to, especially Logitech. 

As for when logitech starting having these issues the first mouse from them i had with double clicking was all the way back to the g600. 
They are willing to just replace without you sending them back these days I've heard, they'd rather pay for good support than just better mice, so if you're willing to deal with getting a few RMAs that might work for you. Some guy on reddit says he's done it more than a dozen times. 
I've also heard there are other more appropriate switches you can solder yourself to say a g502 or their other mice too I assume, but it's not just the buttons that break on my 502s so YMMV on a different mouse but maybe just get one and replace the switches yourself with better ones. 

Thank you for your reply. I have this weird feeling that these companies are using planned obsolescence on there mice... When I buy a mouse, I want it to last 5 8 or 10 years. Similar to you, my scroll wheel issues on my G703 began 3 months after buying them... I realized now that I should have gone for RMA. Mostly because of my experience with Razer. Who I've also had issues within 3 months after purchase, it later developed unfixable software issues, and asked for RMA. The sad part is, they said they would not renew my manufacturer warranty... If anyone can prove that Logitech and other companies are or are not using planned obsolescence that would be cool to know because that would allow me to know which company to support and not support (We dont want to create more E waste...).

I've also thought about doing DYI repair on my mice like you've suggested. I appericate your suggest and I might do it in the near future. I am glad to know that I am not the only one having issues with mice having short life spans. Almost all/all that have replied so far seem to have mice that last a while.

I usually turn off G502 lightspeed, since it is easy to accidentally wake up the pc lol

First time hearing about problems with logitech mice... 

I have a Razer Naga Pro. I don't turn it off or anything, I just leave it and it goes into hibernate after like 5 minutes. I have that accessory to allow me to just plop it onto it to charge. If I keep forgetting to put it on, the cable that goes into that accessory is the same cable that plugs into my mouse, so I can do that for like 20 minutes and get enough charge for the rest of the night.

I've had it for a year with no scrolling or mouse clicking issues. The only issue I have is that sometimes I have to jiggle the mouse on the charger because the contacts aren't contacting properly.

I have a Razer something or other ultimate and I just plop it on the charging stand when done. No issues at all to report

1 hour ago, Imbadatnames said:

I have a Razer something or other ultimate and I just plop it on the charging stand when done. No issues at all to report

With microswitches that will never go bad. Every mouse should use optical switches.

On 11/16/2021 at 10:12 AM, Killertaker said:

Does anyone know if flipping the mouse upside down mess up scroll wheel/left and right click?

I'd like to know if my new ROG falchion nx keyboard which is wireless if put in wired mode 24/7 will degrade my battery whatsoever from overcharging! Thanks for any input guys. I will never use this thing as a wireless keyboard unless I get a decent laptop one day but the thought that the battery might just expire actually worries me

41 minutes ago, rickeo said:

With microswitches that will never go bad. Every mouse should use optical switches.

don't most good gaming mice have 50 million click lifespans though? I wonder how many years that is of hard gaming use lol

optical switches are awesome though for never double clicking and possibly better latency though, but $40 for a G502 is hard to beat. I was considering getting the lightspeed g502 cause I'm on my 3rd one. none of them died but I lost one moving, the other one just got too gunked up over time with stuff that wouldn't clean off easily and buying a new one was easier than trying to clean whatever chemical residue that wouldn't come off. lesson = use gloves more often for projects lol

if logitech ever makes an optical switch variant of the g502 lightspeed I will instantly buy it. believe it or not, I had an alienware tactx (rebadged g9x) for years and years before I found the G502. no other mouse has ever fit my hand so well or was so comfy to use. the weight doesn't bother me at all, and I love the scroll wheel. actually disappointed the lightspeed variant cheaped out on a rubber scroll wheel to save weight.

the best part is that it has enough buttons even for MMOs. G shift button can multiply more buttons now as well. Razer even copied the design lol. I don't think I will want another model of mouse for many years to come. has a perfect pixel sensor and everything else I need in a mouse, but no optical switches reeeee

if I ever get double clicking I'll probably solder custom switches in my self though

I have a Razer Turret(mouse is a mamba wireless) for just over a year now, no issues with it. Its been every which direction, on a plane, in a car, everything. And i do turn it off before i go to bed/stop using it 

https://www.lttstore.com/

1990 M3s are the best looking things ever made.    

^This statement has been retracted^
2020/2021 BMW S1000RRs/Ninja H2s are the best looking things ever made. 

Don't ask to ask. 
If you want me to see the reply, @XGoodGuyFitz(aka me) and/or quote me.
Thanks!

12 hours ago, rickeo said:

Wouldn’t say never everything will fail at some point