Technics

rrats

I've heard that Technics make really high quality turntables. Which one would you recommend? I am not an audiophile.

15 minutes ago, rrats said:

I've heard that Technics make really high quality turntables. Which one would you recommend? I am not an audiophile.

Once upon a time...like 30 years ago...Technics was Panasonic's high end brand. They were largely top of the line. Today...who knows anymore.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

25 minutes ago, rrats said:

For DJing, the SL1210 series.

27 minutes ago, rrats said:

What do you need it for, what is your budget/location. Etc.

Come on, at least make it look like you put some effort in.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

15 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

What do you need it for, what is your budget

Hifi. Lowest possible, even if that means 550+ €

I used to own an old turntable but it broke down

4 hours ago, rrats said:

Hifi. Lowest possible, even if that means 550+ €

I used to own an old turntable but it broke down

Would you be using it for playback or for DJing?

A new Technics SL-1210 will run you almost twice that amount. Consider Audio Technica's much cheaper "equivalent" models, if you're looking for a budget direct drive turntable. The AT-LP120XUSB is the latest release for that series, afaik. You can always upgrade the cartridge and preamp later on. 

If you're not DJing, there are a lot of good belt drive machines within your price range.

12 hours ago, rrats said:

Playback

Consider belt-drive options too. They're more delicate than direct-drive models in general, but you do tend to get better quality audio for the same outlay. The belt drive isolates the platter from the motor's vibration, plus belt drive motors tend to be cheaper (more of the money gets spent on the cartridge, tonearm, plinth, preamp, etc.). Here's an example of a belt-drive model from Audio Technica:

AT-LPW50PB - Fully Manual Belt-Drive Turntable | Audio-Technica

Rega and Pro-ject offer a lot of belt drive options too (with significantly more brand panache), though they do tend to cost more than AT for the same feature set.

Direct drive turntables tend to be very durable and tend to have very strong motors. That makes them the top option for professional use and DJing. Here's AT's current Direct Drive offering.

AT-LP120XBT-USB Direct Drive Turntable (audio-technica.com)