PS3 delid Vancouver

IanB_CA

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know a place where they delid PS3s in Vancouver or otherwise in Canada? I have tried to replace thermal paste on top of the IHS but it's not doing much. I have 2 BC PS3s CECHA and CECHE and I like to preserve these, at least as long as I can. I just had another CECHA die on me where I replaced the thermal paste on top of the IHS and it overheated anyways.

Thanks.

Ian

Hasn't the PS3 been replaced twice already?  Maybe its time you should upgrade.

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>

4 hours ago, Slayerking92 said:

Hasn't the PS3 been replaced twice already?  Maybe its time you should upgrade.

The CECHA and CECHB models are the only ones with full PS2 hardware on the motherboard, the only two model #'s with full PS2 backwards compatibility. The CECHE model is a hybrid emulation system. (I believe the CECHE has the PS2 GPU onboard, but no CPU, emulated CPU, original PS2 GPU)

The backwards compatible PS3's are still worth a good chunk of change and still the best way to play a lot of PS2 games. I have a CECHA model PS3 and a PS5. I can play anything in Sony's catalog if I get a Vita again. 

Yes, generally a slim will be better for PS3 games, but for the people who say, "just mod a slim to play PS2 games", they leave out a lot of info. (and I maybe don't need to say this, but it might be helpful to others coming to this post)

Once your slim PS3 is modded, you still can't just put a PS2 disc in. So, you go through the process of converting .iso files to .pkg files. This requires special patches to make sure they run as well as possible, patches that might break certain graphical effects to improve performance. Even after that, you're left with some games totally fine, others somewhat broken (typically some levels/areas have performance issues), and a handful that are unplayable/won't boot. 

But there's more! I setup a spare slim PS3 I had for my brother, I went through all of these steps. The PS2 game he wanted to play was an "okay on modded slims" game. But, even though I had just re-pasted the system just months earlier, it overheated! No damage to the system, but he played for about 45 minutes and it crashed. It was very warm to the touch.

So why did that happen? PS3's don't read temperature while playing PS2 games, they just run the fans at a fixed speed. Apparently, this value was never really considered on the slims since they aren't backwards compatible. 

I wouldn't be surprised if this fan speed value was carried over from the BC models, but it obviously didn't account for full software emulation. Now yes, it's best practice to set fan speed manually on these (which I do), but it's a separate option as again, it's a set fan speed instead of a temp control. Regardless, this is all to say that you end up working a slim PS3 very hard to play PS2 games.

As for OP's original question - I'm not sure about in Canada, but I know there's a guy on eBay (US?) that offers delidding services with liquid metal. I haven't used him, but I've heard a lot of good testimonials. 

• 2 years later...

Sorry for the late reply,

It is always great to see someone appreciate and understand the value of that consol (any consol generally) and the specific model of PS3 specially

there is one in Ottawa I believe 

Mosley technologies

He is in exam period or something and will be available early May

you can find him on google and his phone number

but he won’t pick till May