Striped Volume on NVMe SSDs?

MartinIAm
Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,

For everyday Windows usage, even a "slow" NVMe drive is more than fast enough. 

I wouldn't bother striping any of them, the benefits of striping are really lost when using NVMe drives as there's really not many use cases for most people where they benefit from the extra sequential performance. There's only downsides to it really, even if you don't care if your data is lost if it goes wrong, I'd assume you'd rather you didn't lose all your data if given the choice. 

I've got three SSDs and I'm running Windows 11. I have 1 WD SN750 250gb which is where my Windows is currently on, and I have 2 Samsung 970 EVO Plus. I do not care if my data gets lost at any point. With this in mind, do I make a striped volume on Windows (would this give me better performance), essentially using the 2 samsung drives for boot, or should I just use the SSD that performs the best for Windows and use the other two for something else.

Also, I have tried hardware RAID 0 on my Gigabyte motherboard, however the RAID driver only supports Windows 10 2004, so in Windows it just show each individual drive.

For everyday Windows usage, even a "slow" NVMe drive is more than fast enough. 

I wouldn't bother striping any of them, the benefits of striping are really lost when using NVMe drives as there's really not many use cases for most people where they benefit from the extra sequential performance. There's only downsides to it really, even if you don't care if your data is lost if it goes wrong, I'd assume you'd rather you didn't lose all your data if given the choice. 

Did a couple CrystalDiskMark benchmarks and the writes on striped were much faster (mainly sequential writes), but the read speeds were pretty similar (for the two samsung drives). The Western Digital drive didn't perform as good as the Samsung drive, but since the differences are less than 1 GB/s I'll probably just keep the Western Digital for now.

Western Digital Drive (Unfair benchmark since it already had files on it, whatever)

1.png.36b730ec054fabf573b2f037fc3c3f68.png

Samsung 970 Evo Plus (Windows Striped)

2.png.fa7fa3ac485759eda9df7b099628f71f.png

Samsung 970 Evo Plus (Single Drive)

3.png.82b795db0e16711e7565889a8d650fff.png