SOL, need help with HDD and SSD running together

shit boi

Hey everyone!

So I've received a friend's laptop, as he asked me to reinstall windows 10 on it. No biggie, right? WRONG.

Apparently he installed an SSD in it and his system didn't pick it up. I thought it had to be initialized in Disk Management. I thought wrong.

So I insert my little USB drive with the Media Creation Tool on it, and go to town in the windows installation prompts.

1st Error: Windows 10 can't be installed on the SSD, because apparently the BIOS settings are wrong, I proceeded to install Windows 10 on the HDD so we can at least have a system up and running.

2nd Error: After installation, Disk Management still doesn't see the SSD, neither does the Device Manager.

Now my current pickle is: System will run on the HDD if SATA Controller Mode in BIOS is set to "Intel RST Premium" whatever that is, but not even the bios will pick up on the existence of the SSD(This meaning that if I try running the Media Creation Tool, the SSD won't be available there either). However, if I set the SATA Controller Mode into AHCI Mode, Both drives are picked up in the BIOS but the system immediately BSODs on Boot. Installation to the SSD is still not possible due to "Windows not being able to use it as a boot drive".

Things I have tried so far:

- Complete wipe and reinstallation of everything.

-Using diskpart to format ssd into NTFS

-Uninstalled/Reinstalled SATA Controller drivers

-updated every possible driver there is.

I'd really appreciate some help with this. It's quite urgent as the device in hand is a laptop primarily for work.

Thanks to everyone in advance!

What happens if you set the bios to ahci mode, then wipe both drives, and install on the ssd. RST is probalby hiding the drive from you here, so keep it off. 

Does it bsod in the installer? Wiping both ddrives should remove the not being able to use it as a boot drive warning.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What happens if you set the bios to ahci mode, then wipe both drives, and install on the ssd. RST is probalby hiding the drive from you here, so keep it off. 

Does it bsod in the installer? Wiping both ddrives should remove the not being able to use it as a boot drive warning.

I'll try when I get back home, thanks for the quick tip! I'll get back to you ASAP

17 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

So I got back to the Windows 10 installation screen. Right now I have the 1TB HDD showing and the 500GB SSD too. However, when I try selecting the SSD for installation the installer tells me that "Windows cannot be installed on this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS Menu"

15 hours ago, shit boi said:

So I got back to the Windows 10 installation screen. Right now I have the 1TB HDD showing and the 500GB SSD too. However, when I try selecting the SSD for installation the installer tells me that "Windows cannot be installed on this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS Menu"

You just need to pick "Load Drivers" and load the chipset drivers of your laptop (or SATA controller). Basically, Windows Setup goes and says:
"Your UEFI/BIOS is tell me that there is a drive in the system, but when I try to poke it to interact with it, it's not responding to my calls which follows standards defined ages ago... Probably the disk controller is disabled, or, because this is what I was trying to do, see if it was bootable, it failed."

What really going on, is that your laptop SATA controller doesn't support the standard SATA controller calls defined. So Windows Setup is confused, as it is unable to interact with it. Loading the drivers will tell it how to interact with the SATA controller so that the command it wants/need to do will now be all understood, and all will work