RTX 2060 super based on tu106-400a-a1

Skeledog

I have been trying to manually flash the BIOS on my RTX 2060 super FE model (by manually I mean clamping the flash flash chip to a programmer). I have not had any luck with the BIOS I can find on techpowerup. I think it is because my card is based on the tu106-400a-a1 GPU, and all the cards I can find on techpowerup (including the FE model) are all based on tu106-410-a1 or something else. All the places I looked said that the tu106-400a-a1 was for an RTX 2070. Does anybody know which aftermarket 2060 super cards use tu106-400a-a1 GPU

And if anybody has any info in general on the topic of manual BIOS flash to 2060 super then that would be great:)

Looked around and found ‎900-1G160-2565-000

Dream build:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-10600K | GIGABYTE Z490 AORUS ELITE | Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L| RGB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro  16GB (2x8) CL18 3600MHz |

Intel 660P 512GB NVMe | Kingston A400 SSDNow 480GB 2.5" | WD "Caviar" Blue 1TB 7200RPM 3.5" | MSI GeForce RTX 2060 Super Gaming EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G+ | THERMALTAKE RGB H200 USB 3.0 |

Peripherals:

Keyboard: Corsair K65 RGB Rapidfire

Mouse: Corsair Harpoon RGB Pro

Monitors:

(1) LG 27'" 27Gl650F-B 144hz 1ms IPS G-Sync Pivot 3

(2) Acer Predator XB241YUbmiprz 23.8" 144Hz 1ms G-Sync

Headset:

Kingston HyperX HX-HSCSC2-BK-WW Cloud Stinger Core 

5 minutes ago, cottechguy said:

Looked around and found ‎900-1G160-2565-000

Ok, it seems that is actually a slightly different model than mine. (I have 699-1g160-0065-300) Although it is another FE model and I am hoping to find an aftermarket card. Although if you have the download link for the BIOS of the card you just mentioned I would be interested in trying it.

38 minutes ago, Skeledog said:

I have been trying to manually flash the BIOS on my RTX 2060 super FE model (by manually I mean clamping the flash flash chip to a programmer). I have not had any luck with the BIOS I can find on techpowerup. I think it is because my card is based on the tu106-400a-a1 GPU, and all the cards I can find on techpowerup (including the FE model) are all based on tu106-410-a1 or something else. All the places I looked said that the tu106-400a-a1 was for an RTX 2070. Does anybody know which aftermarket 2060 super cards use tu106-400a-a1 GPU

And if anybody has any info in general on the topic of manual BIOS flash to 2060 super then that would be great:)

If I remember right it was evga ko line up which used 2070 chips and made 2060 with them with some bios limiter on it but people bought them as for some loads those limiter didn't work and they had 2070 performance from a 2060 

On 11/10/2021 at 10:30 PM, chaotic kronos said:

If I remember right it was evga ko line up which used 2070 chips and made 2060 with them with some bios limiter on it but people bought them as for some loads those limiter didn't work and they had 2070 performance from a 2060 

Ok, so does the fact that I have one in an FE model imply that Nvidia did the same thing at one point? and does this means that theoreitcally, a BIOS mod could unlock this card to a 2070?

5 hours ago, Skeledog said:

Ok, so does the fact that I have one in an FE model imply that Nvidia did the same thing at one point? and does this means that theoreitcally, a BIOS mod could unlock this card to a 3070?

Seems like nivdia did the same but I never heard of it . It might work however it's risky because 2070 power limits was higher (if I remember right) so 2060 might not have a powerful enough power delivery to work as a 2070 (which might dmg card ). And alot of the time its a chip which under perform as a 2070 so its used as a 2060 or in the manufacturing not all its cores are working so it did fit 2060 spec and so it was used as a 2060 .the risks of bricking the cards is way higher than benefits and in times like this shortage risking your card is a bad idea

2 hours ago, chaotic kronos said:

Seems like nivdia did the same but I never heard of it . It might work however it's risky because 2070 power limits was higher (if I remember right) so 2060 might not have a powerful enough power delivery to work as a 2070 (which might dmg card ). And alot of the time its a chip which under perform as a 2070 so its used as a 2060 or in the manufacturing not all its cores are working so it did fit 2060 spec and so it was used as a 2060 .the risks of bricking the cards is way higher than benefits and in times like this shortage risking your card is a bad idea

Yeah, it seems like a rather uncommon model of card. I checked and the BIOS is actually different from the 2060 super FE options on techpowerup, so defintaly something like the KO series. (I may try to upload a BIOS dump to techpowerup since there doesn't seem to be one right now.) I understand that it may damaged the card, and interestingly I have already tried puttong the 2070 FE BIOS onto it to no avail. So I am guessing Nvidia has done some bullshitery with the IDs or something to stop people from doing this sort of thing.

Maybe an alternatve would be to look into modding the current BIOS on the card, do you know of any vBIOS editing tools hat may be able to work for that?

2 hours ago, Skeledog said:

Yeah, it seems like a rather uncommon model of card. I checked and the BIOS is actually different from the 2060 super FE options on techpowerup, so defintaly something like the KO series. (I may try to upload a BIOS dump to techpowerup since there doesn't seem to be one right now.) I understand that it may damaged the card, and interestingly I have already tried puttong the 2070 FE BIOS onto it to no avail. So I am guessing Nvidia has done some bullshitery with the IDs or something to stop people from doing this sort of thing.

Maybe an alternatve would be to look into modding the current BIOS on the card, do you know of any vBIOS editing tools hat may be able to work for that?

To my knowledge bios editing was locked for users since 10th generation card 

6 hours ago, chaotic kronos said:

To my knowledge bios editing was locked for users since 10th generation card 

I have seen things about rhe BIOS requiring signing on the turing and ampere cards. Does this mean that the BIOS ID requires to flash the card or that the GPU core won't work unless the BIOS is signed and ID matches?

TBH locking down the BIOS like this is kind of a dick move on Nvidia's part. Taking away yet another peice of customization from the consumer in favour of being able to sell more product skus for more money with nothing more than a power target and frequency change. Do AMD cards do the same locking down BIOS editing?

1 hour ago, Skeledog said:

I have seen things about rhe BIOS requiring signing on the turing and ampere cards. Does this mean that the BIOS ID requires to flash the card or that the GPU core won't work unless the BIOS is signed and ID matches?

TBH locking down the BIOS like this is kind of a dick move on Nvidia's part. Taking away yet another peice of customization from the consumer in favour of being able to sell more product skus for more money with nothing more than a power target and frequency change. Do AMD cards do the same locking down BIOS editing?

It was to stop fake naming cards . Alot of 700 or 500 cards would be named 1050 or 1060 in its function and would get wrong drivers and work even way worse than its own gen. So they locked it to stop scammers