Laptop recommendations please!

Need to get a laptop for school/work that has 2ghz quad-core or faster, at least 256gb hard-drive, and 16gb of ram. Preferably for under $1500 USD. Any recommendations are appreciated

Used Thinkpads are hard to beat. Something like a T480 is probably your best bet since it's when quad cores became standard, and I've seen them go for as low as $300, though most are closer to $500. Get one with at least an i5, and I don't think any came with less than 250GB of storage. You might need to upgrade the RAM, but that's not too hard to do (given you get one with upgradeable RAM, most of the 13" and smaller ones don't have that, and some of the newer thin and lights don't have it either). They're built like tanks, the keyboards are phenomenal, and they're cheap for what they are. 

24 minutes ago, Fleshbot69 said:

Need to get a laptop for school/work that has 2ghz quad-core or faster, at least 256gb hard-drive, and 16gb of ram.

did you copy this straight out of a system requirement? Just tell us the app, itll be much more useful than those.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

13 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

did you copy this straight out of a system requirement? Just tell us the app, itll be much more useful than those.

Yeah, straight from the sys requirements lol I just got accepted today so I don't have more detail beyond that and whatever the program(s) is it doesn't support the m1 chipset. Ill send out an email in the morning to see if I can get more info. Thanks for the response

3 minutes ago, Fleshbot69 said:

Yeah, straight from the sys requirements lol I just got accepted today so I don't have more detail beyond that and whatever the program(s) is it doesn't support the m1 chipset. Ill send out an email in the morning to see if I can get more info. Thanks for the response

What major are you, since you can usually get an idea what kind of software you'll use depending on that. Granted, as long as you aren't an engineering major where you'll have to use a lot of CAD, most laptops outside of Chromebooks will be able to do what you need, and if you are an engineering major, you're probably better off investing in a combination of a laptop and a desktop. 

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

What major are you, since you can usually get an idea what kind of software you'll use depending on that. Granted, as long as you aren't an engineering major where you'll have to use a lot of CAD, most laptops outside of Chromebooks will be able to do what you need, and if you are an engineering major, you're probably better off investing in a combination of a laptop and a desktop. 

Cyber security. I already have a decent desktop, but want something portable. Bought a MacBook earlier this year only to find out I can't use it for this program RIP

9 minutes ago, Fleshbot69 said:

Cyber security. I already have a decent desktop, but want something portable. Bought a MacBook earlier this year only to find out I can't use it for this program RIP

The Thinkpad is probably the best idea then. You won't need a ton of CPU horsepower for that (often at least), and when you do you can use your desktop.  You shouldn't spend more than you have to on a laptop, use the rest of your money on a book (only slight sarcasm). 

I would strongly recommend using a decent sata ssd instead of a 2.5 inch hard drive. They will blow any 2.5 inch hard drive out of the water. You can get them for 40-60 dollars these days.

On 11/10/2021 at 4:06 AM, Fleshbot69 said:

Just get parallels or bootcamp if it’s Intel based and run windows on the mac?