How to Delete Linux Off of Dual-Boot with Windows

Hi. So here's my predicament. I recently installed EndeavourOS on a small, 37 GB partition on my main drive, an M.2, with Windows. My motherboard(Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming Motherboard) has two M.2 slots, and I recently purchased a second M.2 to install EndeavourOS on. I now need to delete the existing installation of EndeavourOS off my PC, and then reinstall it on the new M.2. This obviously can be done by simply deleting the partition in Disk Management in Windows, but is there anything else required? Such as deleting a possible Linux bootloader? Or can I simply delete the partition, then install EndeavourOS freshly?

just delete the partition and your set.

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

Leftover bootloaders shouldn't cause any issues, it's not worth the effort to purge them. You would have to remove the files from the EFI partition, and then remove the boot option from the boot list

🙂

But it wouldn't cause any issues if I reinstalled Endeavour while there still exists an Endeavour bootloader?

1 hour ago, AgentLoneStar007 said:

But it wouldn't cause any issues if I reinstalled Endeavour while there still exists an Endeavour bootloader?

First start Windows in "Advanced Startup Options Menu" by pressing F8 (or F11?) as soon as possible after selecting to boot windows option in your boot loader. There you can select "Startup repair" after this your computer should boot directly in Windows. If that is the case you can safely remove the partition linux is installed on.

Alternatively make a Windows installation medium on a usb stick, boot from that, it will allow you to select the same option "Startup repair"

Honestly as long as it won't cause problems when reinstalling the OS, I'm fine with leaving the boot loader.

By deleting the linux partition you lose the ability to update the bootloader, which can be unwise. With a live Lunux CD or USB stick you could solve that but that can be a bit tricky. If you go that way you could first configure the bootloader so that Windows is the default and timesout within 0 second.

I recommend that you run the repair startup option in windows, that will solve your problem by installing the Windows bootloader where it belongs, no other installation required.

Take a look at this topic, there is a video that can help you further, go a 1 or 2 minutes back (8:00 is a good place to start) on how to get in the advance boot options from windows itself and hit "Startup repair" insted. The usb drive manchend in the video is not required as long your selecting "Setartup repair".

Typically in UEFI, Theres an opinion which is "Windows Bootloader" and an "Ubuntu Bootloader" 
You set default to windows Bootloader, then you use an EFI editor and delete it.
"EasyUEFI" is... rather the easiest Ive found.
I wont tell you where to get it, but you can also go to their site and its 30$

4 hours ago, one-riff said:

By deleting the linux partition you lose the ability to update the bootloader, which can be unwise. With a live Lunux CD or USB stick you could solve that but that can be a bit tricky. If you go that way you could first configure the bootloader so that Windows is the default and timesout within 0 second.

I recommend that you run the repair startup option in windows, that will solve your problem by installing the Windows bootloader where it belongs, no other installation required.

Take a look at this topic, there is a video that can help you further, go a 1 or 2 minutes back (8:00 is a good place to start) on how to get in the advance boot options from windows itself and hit "Startup repair" insted. The usb drive manchend in the video is not required as long your selecting "Setartup repair".

After installing EndeavourOS the first time, it worked, but upon restart, the PC booted into Windows without question. Endeavour is still listed in the boot manager in the UEFI BIOS, but it's not the first option. So I'll just go ahead and delete the partition, then reinstall without deleting the bootloader.

Ok, I considered putting this in a new topic, but might as well keep it here. If no one replies I'll make a new topic.

I installed and initialized my new M.2, then went into the EndeavourOS live USB to install it. As usual, it classifies my built-in motherboard WiFi as ethernet(would love help on fixing that), so I had to use a crappy 2.4 Ghz WiFi adapter because the preinstalled drivers don't like 5 Ghz. I went to connect to my network, but every time I entered the password, it wouldn't connect, saying it was wrong. I can 100% verify I was entering it correctly, so don't question that. When I looked at my motherboard, it was throwing the code 00. After a quick Google I found it could be a faulty CMOS battery, or faulty boot data. When booting into Windows the code doesn't appear at all. So I'm guessing I need to delete the old Linux bootloader, right?