Do 7200 HDDs produce more EMI than 5400 ones?

ThoriumEx

My intuition says yes but I couldn’t find an answer online.

So do 7200 RPM HDDs produce more EMI than 5400 ones?

Does capacity has anything to do with it as well?

Thanks!

10 minutes ago, ThoriumEx said:

My intuition says yes but I couldn’t find an answer online.

And how would it literally matter to you? Unless if you work in EMI sensitive workplace, it doesnt make sense to measure overall EMI on paper.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Just now, SorryClaire said:

And how would it literally matter to you? Unless if you work in EMI sensitive workplace, it doesnt make sense to measure overall EMI on paper.

I’m working in a studio and the EMI gets picked up by guitar pickups.

It depends on the motor used, and how well the motor is shielded,  and then it depends on the filtering on the circuit board of the hard drive, if any.

Then , it would depend on how well the computer case blocks EMI ... don't use a case with windows, buy a case that's fully metal or mesh .. 

A video card would produce much more emi compared to a puny hard drive motor. 

5 minutes ago, mariushm said:

It depends on the motor used, and how well the motor is shielded,  and then it depends on the filtering on the circuit board of the hard drive, if any.

Then , it would depend on how well the computer case blocks EMI ... don't use a case with windows, buy a case that's fully metal or mesh .. 

A video card would produce much more emi compared to a puny hard drive motor. 

So, it doesn’t depend on the motor speed?

And yes I do have a metal case, no glass.

I was actually testing the EMI yesterday and found that my WD Red produced much more of it than my 3060Ti (at least at idle, which is what I care about).

There will probably be more variance between 2 different models of drive that run at the same speed than between speeds...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

3 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

There will probably be more variance between 2 different models of drive that run at the same speed than between speeds...

Alright that’s good to know, thanks!

the HDD is basically one of the parts that has very little EMI.

The PC the HDD is connected to has a much higher potential for that kind of thing.

51 minutes ago, Pixel5 said:

the HDD is basically one of the parts that has very little EMI.

The PC the HDD is connected to has a much higher potential for that kind of thing.

Not sure what you meant in your last sentence but I’ve tested my system and the most audible EMI in my setup comes from the HDD (and goes away when I disconnect it).

On 11/8/2021 at 12:23 PM, ThoriumEx said:

Not sure what you meant in your last sentence but I’ve tested my system and the most audible EMI in my setup comes from the HDD (and goes away when I disconnect it).

how are you measuring the EMI and which frequencies are you looking at specifically?

HDD´s are a big grounded chunk of metal that in itself is shielded because its sensitive again EMI getting in which in return also does not let a lot of EMI out.

on the other hand high speed interfaces in a PC like PCI-E lanes, connections to the RAM and NVME SSD´s are known sources of EMI but if they are not a problem for you thats probably because their frequency is too high for you to pick it up.