GTX 1060 OC not using 100% of it's non OC TDP.

Rex1549

Hello ! I'm very new to overclocking, but I recently bought a 5800X and a second hand GTX 1060 OC (because shortages) and I wanted to try my hand at overclocking.

I ran my GTX 1060 in a non overclocked mode in furmark and observed that it was only using about 75 to 80% of it's TDP. Once I overclocked it (afterburner auto overclock 25 MHz average), I tried again and it was only using 80 to 85% TDP. Better, but not 100% (and I had set the limit to 115%). I'm definitely not CPU bottlenecked or PSU bottlenecked (seasonic 850 W) so I was wondering if this is expected behaviour. Do GPUs even boost over TDP ? I assume they do.

Also, thermals are not a consideration. During these benchmarks, the GPU never exceeded 70°C. The cooler on this thing is really over the top for a 1060.

And since the card came with a PCIe 8 pin connector instead of the default 6 pin on 1060s, I assumed it would be power hungry, but it really doesn't seem to be. Any advice on this front would be of great help !

Thanks !

A stock card will max out its TDP in furmark. Your card is either BIOS modded or shunt modded (I am leaning towards shunt mod). Can you observe your cards limits when running furmark? (You can do this with HWINFO or GPUZ) What is the limiting factor? PWR? VREL? 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

I'm not sure where to find the limiting factor. Is it reported in GPU-Z as PerfCap ? PerfCap flickers between Pwr and Idle. The GPU clock maxes out at about 1785 MHz which is well into the boost mode but not quite at max boost (1864 MHz).