It takes another lithography to compete with A14 - New Qualcomm and Mediatek rumors/leak on 4nm

williamcll
10 hours ago, leadeater said:

Depends on the team, there are good ones and bad ones. Microsoft has real problems with none of the teams working together or being aware of what each other is doing while also having this internal idea that similar competing ideas means the best one wins out which just is not the case internally to a company like that because all that actually happens is which ever team manages to catch the favor of the most influential VP wins out which very much is not the same thing as the best idea or implementation winning.

They'll also buy companies with successful software and subject them in to this internal structure which completely derails all future development of that software or technology where as if they just left them alone as a subsidiary and just utilized what they do or make under license they wouldn't end up turning good things in to garbage. 

Basically for every SQL Server or Exchange Server team within Microsoft there is a SharePoint Server & Teams or Skype for Business team. They have both industry leading software and dog crap.

Totally agree with everything you said, but I feel like most of the user facing software is written by people who do not care or don't have the experience enough to write high performing programs. I am sure Microsoft have lots of talented developers, but it seems like those have been assigned to working on some core backend products like some server software (exchange and sql like you mentioned). The user facing software is assigned to people like web developers that expect someone to have 16GB of RAM to run a chat client. 

When your applications are using 1000 times more resources than they need (and I am not exaggerating here) then pushing lower end hardware (like Qualcomm's ARM chips) is not going to result in a good experience. 

I wonder what Microsoft's software would look like if they only allowed their developers to run dual core machines with 4GB of RAM. Maybe then they would take performance more seriously and stop writing their applications in like Javascript. 

30 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Totally agree with everything you said, but I feel like most of the user facing software is written by people who do not care or don't have the experience enough to write high performing programs. I am sure Microsoft have lots of talented developers, but it seems like those have been assigned to working on some core backend products like some server software (exchange and sql like you mentioned). The user facing software is assigned to people like web developers that expect someone to have 16GB of RAM to run a chat client. 

When your applications are using 1000 times more resources than they need (and I am not exaggerating here) then pushing lower end hardware (like Qualcomm's ARM chips) is not going to result in a good experience. 

I wonder what Microsoft's software would look like if they only allowed their developers to run dual core machines with 4GB of RAM. Maybe then they would take performance more seriously and stop writing their applications in like Javascript. 

Apple is kind of the oppose in this regard, other than their success rate being more like 80%-90% than 30%-50%. Their software and OS have had some quite serious bugs and problems but it's never user facing or a standalone usage component. Their SMB implementation for ages was quite horrific, until they committed to SMB only bye bye AFP, and the switch over from Managed Preferences to Profile Manager for Mac OS was REALLY bad. You'd have situations where configurations were incompatible together in the same profile or different profiles but combined when applied to the same computer or settings just outright not even applying at all (802.1X and Wireless were notorious for that if not using super generic "home wifi" setups). That's why I had to learn JAMF Pro, because it was so bad it was affecting user experience on networked Mac OS so a working solution just had to be found.

Also Mac OS Server (the App now because it's only a collections of apps) would regularly corrupt and outright break, RIP anyone that was native Open Directory only and not Active Directory for Auth and user account management. Profile Manager database and the app would break nearly weekly at the very start of it's existence. Then Mac OS 10.7 and 10.8 era itself would have similar problems when managed with Profile Manager and Domain Joined, things would just break for no reason whatsoever.

The reason why this irks me to this day is because it turned near zero touch no platform support managed Mac OS X 10.6 with Windows equivalent Network Homes and Mobile Homes (Folder Redirection and Offline Files) along with managed and automatically mapped printers and network shares in to literal hell on earth spending every hour of every day either fixing and broken system(s) or having to figure out how to bend Apple's new management framework just the right way to work at all, until 3rd party JAMF Pro was finally deemed as required.

Windows has never kicked me in the balls and then stabbed me so hard like Mac OS did, fuck me it still hurts.

All those problems are far as I know gone now

8 hours ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

That might be because everyone except Apple has had a disaster with their own cores. Qualcomm had one on the infamous SDM810 iirc

I think you're mistaking for the 801, the 810 used off the shelf cores. IIRC, their latest, actual custom SoC was the 820, with the newer ones being semi-custom based off ARM's cores.

8 hours ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

and samsung mongoose had become too hot.

I believe that samsung's problem was mostly due to their fab process (as we've seen with Ampere). However, I have an exynos phone (s10e), and it's pretty reasonable. A qualcomm version would likely be both faster and consume less battery, but as it stands, the performance and power consumption is pretty acceptable and it doesn't get hot, but I've heard that their 7nm+ revisions (such as the one found in the s20 FE) gets really hot and is way worse by all measurements.

Their CPU arch is pretty interesting, it has a 6-wide decoder and 228 ROB, and the M6 was supposed to be a 8-wide arch (somewhat similar to Apple's M1), too bad they couldn't get the implementation right.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

11 hours ago, leadeater said:

-snip-

If we're shitting on Apple for bad "backend" software then let's not forget their idiotic decision to fork Oracle's HotSpot JVM and then proceed to not prioritize development of it, causing it to almost always be behind and full of security issues.

One example was the Flashback trojan.

Oracle's official branch fixed a major security hole on February 14th 2012.

Apple pushed out the same update in their fork of their JVM on April 3rd 2012.

During those 6 weeks that Apple were sitting on their asses it managed to infect over 600,000 Mac computers, including hundreds inside Apple's HQ.

I'm far more interested in the chips other abilities in the camera department, and whatever other new niceities it adds than what it gets in synthetic benchmarks. We're kind of beyond needing super fast chips for what most people use a phone for. 

That said, I'm also interested in the Exynos/AMD collab. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red