Is there a knife crew on here?

Mister Woof

Just started getting into the folding knives for the heck of it.

Picked up a couple of CIVIVIs, Kizers, and Benchmade, and so far my favorite is the Kizer Justice.

CIVIVI Elementum

CIVIVI Mini Atascus

CIVIVI Praxis

Kizer Begleiter

Kizer Justice

Benchmade Bugout

At less than half the price of the Bugout, the Justice seems so much more capable and well made. Ended up giving away the Bugout to a friend as a gift.

KUV4543N2_KUV4543N1_LSR1.jpg

Anyone else also waste money on knives that they could have just spent $10 on a boxcutter from Walmart instead?

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

20210519_185024.jpg

Cast Cobalt 6 Higonokami by D Rocket Design

Friction folder knife, gifted to me from one 768791042631008266.png?size=44.

20210519_191255.jpg

"ロケットの家"

Translation: Rocket House / Rocket Design.

Once upon a time I was looking up spring-assisted and flipper knives.

Cali's knife restrictions are a bit iffy, tho, so I put those thoughts away. 😅

Would rather not get in trouble or argue about semantics for a collection hobby.

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

14 minutes ago, Eschew said:

20210519_185024.jpg

Cast Cobalt 6 Higonokami by D Rocket Design

Friction folder knife, gifted to me from one 768791042631008266.png?size=44.

20210519_191255.jpg

"ロケットの家"

Translation: Rocket House / Rocket Design.

Once upon a time I was looking up spring-assisted and flipper knives.

Cali's knife restrictions are a bit iffy, tho, so I put those thoughts away. 😅

Would rather not get in trouble or argue about semantics for a collection hobby.

My understanding are assisted opening is fine as long as it's not what is technically a switchblade or dirk/dagger - meaning any folder (flippers included) of any length should be fine so long as it has a bias towards closing (most of them do).

Although, some specific cities have weird laws that preemt state laws.

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=815906

You can have an automatic knife under 2", which is why some people like these types:

https://www.bladehq.com/cat--California-Legal-Auto--325#:~:text=CA law requires the automatic knife blade to be under 2".

But in my experience, flippers are as fast as an automatic knife, have no mechanical opening that could be misconstrued as automatic, and are pretty available.

I live in CA and carry a flipper around (since I allowed my CCW to expire) and it's fine.

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

2 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

My understanding are assisted opening is fine as long as it's not what is technically a switchblade or dirk/dagger - meaning any folder (flippers included) of any length should be fine so long as it has a bias towards closing (most of them do).

Although, some specific cities have weird laws that preemt state laws.

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=815906

You can have an automatic knife under 2", which is why some people like these types:

https://www.bladehq.com/cat--California-Legal-Auto--325#:~:text=CA law requires the automatic knife blade to be under 2".

But in my experience, flippers are as fast as an automatic knife, have no mechanical opening that could be misconstrued as automatic, and are pretty available.

Fair point, but not every cop might see it your way. 😅

Safer (and lighter on my wallet) to err on the side of caution.

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

Just now, Eschew said:

Fair point, but not every cop might see it your way. 😅

Safer (and lighter on my wallet) to err on the side of caution.

Depends where you live, too. I live in an area where carrying knives and guns isn't really that insane (we are basically shall issue) so it's a bit different than say, San Francisco 

Yea been carrying a knife with me for the past 13 14 years. No big names just a few Swiss army ones currently i carry Pikniker and plan to get one with a belt buckle so i can hang it in my pocket. 

I really like my benchmade bugout, I got the one with the carbon fiber handle and it’s super nice feeling.

D2A4E9D0-5B14-4F08-80F5-E6942D72B30E.thumb.jpeg.fe55b0ba45d9668c32e053da9b42374f.jpeg

In my state we basically have zero knife laws anywhere, no ballistic knives and weirdly enough, no throwing stars. Everything else is acceptable to have anywhere.

I used to daily use an old Afghani butterfly knife from the 70’s but it’s very worn out these days.

I have a very lint-encrusted Emerson Mini Commander, with G-10 scales and a titanium lock, that has been clipped into my pocket for years. Texas allows you to carry a broadsword or katana in public, so I guess I could go bigger if I wanted but this suits me fine.

I have a few other knives but I don't really carry them. The Emerson has an assist hook so if you draw it out with some pressure it opens and locks very quickly. 

(Stock photo, mine looks a lot more used)

Mini-Commander-BT-5.jpg

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

I have a Damascus Kershaw Shallot for my daily.  A couple of the mid sized Kershaw Leek knives and a random selection of smaller Swiss army and junk level stuff.  Not sure if you want to call them knives or not but also have a small collection of military blades.

IMG_5588.JPG

IMG_5587.JPG

I'm not a knife nerd, to me knifes are tools so utility is the most important factor. 

Basically for most stuff I use a standard Morakniv like this: https://morakniv.se/produkt/basic-511-c-rod/ it's cheap so you are not worried about using it and it's carbon steel which makes it easy to sharpen to a dangerous sharpness. 

As a folding knife I have one of these: https://eka-knivar.se/produkt/eka-swede-9/ again not to expensive so I'm not afraid to use it and sturdy with a good quality stainless steel in the blade. 

4 minutes ago, Spindel said:

I'm not a knife nerd, to me knifes are tools so utility is the most important factor. 

Basically for most stuff I use a standard Morakniv like this: https://morakniv.se/produkt/basic-511-c-rod/ it's cheap so you are not worried about using it and it's carbon steel which makes it easy to sharpen to a dangerous sharpness. 

As a folding knife I have one of these: https://eka-knivar.se/produkt/eka-swede-9/ again not to expensive so I'm not afraid to use it and sturdy with a good quality stainless steel in the blade. 

To me, they're consumables. The N690 is good enough on the Kizer, as are most other budget steels. When I've cut enough boxes or zip ties, and sharpening has worn down the blade...I'll just get another one haha

1 hour ago, Mister Woof said:

To me, they're consumables. The N690 is good enough on the Kizer, as are most other budget steels. When I've cut enough boxes or zip ties, and sharpening has worn down the blade...I'll just get another one haha

Few things dulls the edge of a blade as fast as cutting paper and cardboard. 

I used to carry a folder every day but I switched to fixed blade knives a few years back.

The reason is that I tend to abuse my knives and folders just aren't cut for things like that. Plus a fixed blade is cheaper than a folder of equal quality. So I switched to fixed blade knives and honestly haven't looked back since. I usually buy knives at the around 50€ / 50$ mark since I actually use them and buy a new one every few years.

The knives I use at the moment:

DSC_0869.thumb.JPG.e6965b765e97d2d3ee113821d403e645.JPG

They are fairly new and haven't seen a lot of action because of the pandemic. It's hard to see but the one on top is a bit more banged up and has a rust film on the edge. 

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: Samsung Odyssey G7A (28" 4K 144Hz)

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

1 hour ago, Spindel said:

Few things dulls the edge of a blade as fast as cutting paper and cardboard. 

There's probably better tools for the job (like the aforementioned $10 box cutter ) but I have almost no other use for these things lol