What player to pair with LG G3 OLED?

Fanous
13 hours ago, Fanous said:

I'm after the 65"

What was your previous screen, though? 65 inches is a good size for a new set, but it may highlight any flaws in low-res material no how good the scaling is. It might not look terrible, but it my well be "soft." Reminds me of playing PS2 games on an HDTV for the first time... the TV underscored just how low-res 480p really was.

20 hours ago, Commodus said:

What was your previous screen, though? 65 inches is a good size for a new set, but it may highlight any flaws in low-res material no how good the scaling is. It might not look terrible, but it my well be "soft." Reminds me of playing PS2 games on an HDTV for the first time... the TV underscored just how low-res 480p really was.

Ha my current tv is well tiny and old... 

3 hours ago, Fanous said:

Ha my current tv is well tiny and old... 

It's definitely going to shift your expectations, then! Mind you, you'll have to upgrade eventually, and the C1 is a good pick for that upgrade. It's going to feel like a massive leap forward, especially if you have any 4K or HDR material to watch.

On 11/1/2021 at 12:13 PM, Fanous said:

Absolute noob here. Be patient, please. 

I've got my eyes set on a new TV, from LG, model C1 OLED. I know we can stream plenty of content, but we like to do movie nights. Watching DVDs. Currently, we use Xbox 360 (yes the old console with kinect) to play DVDs. Moving to 4K, I assume that's not gonna cut it anymore. 

So the question is simple, what else to buy next to the TV to make the most of it? 

I suspect a soundbar, and a 4k dvd player. I'd appreciate your wisdom recommending me specific models, and why those are the good choice, please. 

Your help is appreciated... 

Cheers 

I recently bought the Sony A80J - it uses the exact same panel as inside the LG C1.

I use an Xbox One S as my UHD blu-ray player - and bonus, it can serve all your other "media/streaming" needs too. I didn't even configure the Smart options on the Sony (which, I was actually massively surprised that I could even do that).

You could totally get a standalone set-top UHD player. You'd probably want to spring for a decent one, but that's personal preference. If you play console games at all, I'd recommend going with either the One S, One X, or one of the current gen consoles if you can find one in stock at a reasonable price.

As for a Soundbar, what's your budget? You can get good soundbars for $200, or $1500.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

• 2 years later...

Openning this 2 year old can of warms, as I have [insert confetty falling] finally bought an OLED TV...

So it's still in box, not had a chance to hang it yet. I went for LG G3 OLED, and with it, I will be using soundbar, also LG, model USC9S.

So I'm once again looking at the DVD player, think it's safe to say I will want to be able to play Blu-Ray 4K discs (That I need to buy), as well as old collection of normal old DVDs.

With that in mind, what would you recomend to get the most of the setup?

1 hour ago, Fanous said:

UB820 looks like it would be good pairing?

Basically it comes down to whether you care about Dolby Vision or not.

There are 3 main HDR standards:

HDR10 - pretty much every 4K TV and Blu-Ray player supports this, along with most streaming services.

HDR10+ - this is a competitor of Dolby Vision, and enhances capabilities beyond HDR10. It has very limited support among the manufacturers, with really Samsung being the only one to push it heavily.

Dolby Vision - similar to HDR10+, most major manufacturers support this on the TV level, but support on the player level is mixed.

So if you want "the best", you'd get the UB820 w/ DV support. The UB820 also has a reputation of playing a lot of discs that other players will freeze.

If you don't care about DV support, you can get a cheaper player, such as an older Xbox One S, or a newer Playstation or Xbox or a mid-range 4K player.

But the UB820 is largely considered the best.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

19 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Basically it comes down to whether you care about Dolby Vision or not.

There are 3 main HDR standards:

HDR10 - pretty much every 4K TV and Blu-Ray player supports this, along with most streaming services.

HDR10+ - this is a competitor of Dolby Vision, and enhances capabilities beyond HDR10. It has very limited support among the manufacturers, with really Samsung being the only one to push it heavily.

Dolby Vision - similar to HDR10+, most major manufacturers support this on the TV level, but support on the player level is mixed.

So if you want "the best", you'd get the UB820 w/ DV support. The UB820 also has a reputation of playing a lot of discs that other players will freeze.

If you don't care about DV support, you can get a cheaper player, such as an older Xbox One S, or a newer Playstation or Xbox or a mid-range 4K player.

But the UB820 is largely considered the best.

This player seems to support HDR10+, and also Dolby Vision - seems like I can't lose?

1 hour ago, Fanous said:

This player seems to support HDR10+, and also Dolby Vision - seems like I can't lose?

As I said, it's largely considered the best 4K Blu-Ray player ever released.

Is it worth trying to buy multi-regional player? They seem to be costing more, dunno if it was tampered with? Warranty and such?

3 hours ago, Fanous said:

Is it worth trying to buy multi-regional player? They seem to be costing more, dunno if it was tampered with? Warranty and such?

I personally wouldn't bother. If I was going to spend more, I'd get the UB820 and call it a day.

You'd only want to look at that if you were buying a lot of discs that won't work in your region. 4K Blu-Rays themselves tend to be region free (I think all of them are?) - it's only regular Blu-Rays you need to worry about.

7 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

I personally wouldn't bother. If I was going to spend more, I'd get the UB820 and call it a day.

You'd only want to look at that if you were buying a lot of discs that won't work in your region. 4K Blu-Rays themselves tend to be region free (I think all of them are?) - it's only regular Blu-Rays you need to worry about.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated