Air purifiers any good?

Bakgrund

I've been thinking on getting an air purifier with hopes to not having to vacuum every other day because i have a cat and the battle station in my bedroom and we all know how annoying a dusty battle station is.

So my question is, do anybody got experience with these air purifiers, are they any good? Do they suck up much dust or mostly just clean the air? And yeah generally if they are worth buying and your opinions.

The one I'm most interested in so far is the Electrolux Z9124 or EL491A (a cheaper variant), I could only find the EL491A on a retailer in english so herer it is:

http://www.amazon.com/Electrolux-EL491A-Oxygen3-PlasmaWave-Purifier/dp/B001Q3KS9S/ref=sr_1_10?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1397238856&sr=1-10&keywords=electrolux+air+purifier

I can't speak for that one but I'm sure that any normal one from a local store will work just fine and possibly be less expensive.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

I can't speak for that one but I'm sure that any normal one from a local store will work just fine and possibly be less expensive.

A normal one? What's so special about the Electrolux one?

They clean the dusk that's floating in the air which is also good if your building a PC in your room as there's very little static electricity, I've never used the ones that killer oder so I couldn't tell you about those.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

I have used 2 for a few years now. One larger one in the living room and a smaller one in my bedroom. I can say allergies are much better and even after the first day I noticed a difference. I use to wake up and aside from the morning piss I always had to cough up nasty phlegm but since I got them I no longer do that. I have also noticed that my place is a bit less dusty including inside my PC case. 

I just went from my older Vornado air purifiers to newer models and last week changed the carbon filter...shit was full of fine white dust. If that doesn't tell you they clearly take something out of the air that would otherwise be floating around, in your lungs or in your electronics then nothing will. I live in Las Vegas so being in a sandbox it just made sense to at least try them and I wouldn't go with out them seeing, feeling the difference. 

A normal one? What's so special about the Electrolux one?

I guess normal wasn't the right word, when I said normal I meant one bought from a physical store and not online. Dunno why I used that word but whatever

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

• 3 weeks later...

Do some of you know if this help for asthma? I have very dry skin, i know this is weard but because of this and other reason, my room get reallyyy dusty. This is a problem for me as I was born with really bad asthma, now its less present but i still have to take the meds (ventolin in french) when i sleep, its really a bother.

Case : Corsiar Air 540 CPU : Intel i5 8600k GPU : Asus Nvidia 970 DirectCUII RAM : 16gb DDR4 MB : ASUS Prime z370-p PSU : OCZ Modxtreme 700w SSD : Samsung 840 EVO 250gb 

Do some of you know if this help for asthma? I have very dry skin, i know this is weard but because of this and other reason, my room get reallyyy dusty. This is a problem for me as I was born with really bad asthma, now its less present but i still have to take the meds (ventolin in french) when i sleep, its really a bother.

It can differ a bit but it should help you a bit, you should get a really good one if you have asthma, look for something with an active hepa filter and preferably a coal filter and it should do fine if you clean the hepa-filter regularly and swap out the coal filter every 6th month.

But cleaning often and thoroughly will be a good start, an air purifier is just a complement for cleaning so you'd still have to clean regularly and such.

It should help with asthma, since asthma can be caused by irritants that cause the esophageal smooth muscles to contract.

You should just get one if you have asthma.  Before I bought a filter, I got hay fever from all the dust in my room. 

I have this air purifier http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000R2WEJQ/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1  it DEFINITELY reduces dust in the room.  I bought it for my collectibles, but it also does a good job of reducing dust in my pc.  A cleanable filter is definitely a must have.  The one you linked will need replacement filters which will get expensive quick.

PC Specs: MSI X99S SLI Krait Edition -- Corsair Carbide Air 540

2x Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 -- Corsair H100i Watercooler -- EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 PSU

i7 5820k @ 4.5Ghz -- 16GB Mushkin DDR4 2800Mhz -- 128GB Mushkin SSD + 120GB Kingston HyperX -- 3TB Seagate Barracuda

I got a big one from Sharp, the kc-c70u, a few years ago, with nearly all the same features. (except I also have a built-in humidifier)

Honestly, it was good for a while, but the filters needed changing way too often and were really expensive. The HEPA filter cost about $100 while the carbon filter cost more or less $50, not to mention the humidifier's filter that goes in the $30~$40. They need changing otherwise they start smelling after a while, I bought this thing for over $400 back then, thought it was a good buy for all the features it had at the time, as I mostly wanted to get rid of cigarette smoke from my parents, it worked for that, but I forgot to check how expensive were the filters before buying, BIG MISTAKE, I thought it'd be like every other air purifier and be cheap, but nope... this was ridiculous. Filters surely don't cost that much to make so the profits they are making on that is enormous, even today, years after I bought it, they are still expensive. Parents stopped smoking after a while and then it was food smell that got in the filters, which required me to change them once again... Seriously these big things absorb a lot of dust even on the lowest/quietest setting, but God do the filters not last long. By now, I just gave up on it and it's sitting in a corner of my room, not having been used for it's purpose in over a year.

If you just want less dust, get any "air purifier" that you can get in any big store for about $50, with filters that cost less than $20, you will be happier. It's what I will do soon enough.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I have used 2 for a few years now. One larger one in the living room and a smaller one in my bedroom. I can say allergies are much better and even after the first day I noticed a difference. I use to wake up and aside from the morning piss I always had to cough up nasty phlegm but since I got them I no longer do that. I have also noticed that my place is a bit less dusty including inside my PC case. 

I just went from my older Vornado air purifiers to newer models and last week changed the carbon filter...shit was full of fine white dust. If that doesn't tell you they clearly take something out of the air that would otherwise be floating around, in your lungs or in your electronics then nothing will. I live in Las Vegas so being in a sandbox it just made sense to at least try them and I wouldn't go with out them seeing, feeling the difference. 

wow do they actually make a difference? Thats interesting I always thought they were just things hippies bought to they could have "pure air" all the time lol

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s