IE 60's - IE 80's - ATH-50X's

joppetie
Go to solution Solved by ShadowCaptain,

I love the since your Dutch bit :P

the m50s are pretty terrible for walking/moving around in,  you are better off with IEMs for all round use

IE 60s are very good for what they cost, not quite as good as the 80s, if you can justify the money then do it, but  settling for the 60 isnt exactly a bad choice if you ask me

Hello everyone!

Lately I've been thinking about buying a new pair of headphones or IEM's for on the go, but I can't decide what to buy.

At first, I wanted either te IE 80's or ATH-50X's, respectively 225 and 155 euros.

But then my eye fell on the IE 60's, which are 115 euros. Significantly cheaper than the others.

So I think my question is: Are the IE 80's worth the extra money and are the IE 60's good enough to really enjoy listening to.

Then, there is also the debate on whether headphones or IEM's are better when walking around town or riding your bicycle. (I do that a lot, since I'm Dutch.)

Intel Core i7-3770k @4.4GHz. 1.170V - Noctua NH-D14 - 8GB (2x4) G.Skill RipjawsX @1866 MHz. CL8 - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H - Samsung 840 250GB - XFX HD7970 DD GHz. @1125MHz - CM 690 II - Seagate Barracuda 2TB + WD RED 3TB - Corsair RM750X

FiiO E10 - Sennheiser HD 598 - Edifier R1600T - Sony MHC-EX50 - Razer Blackwidow Ulitmate 2013 - Razer Deathadder 2013 - LG IPS237L - Dell P2314H - Philips 237EQPH - LG 47LB561V

LG G2 - HP Spectre X360 - Audio Technica ATH-M50X - Sennheiser IE 60

The ATH M50(x)'s are pretty difficult for outdoor use due it's cable lenghts but you can get a shorter one.

They are also pretty big and not really made/designed for outdoor use I think.

I love the since your Dutch bit :P

the m50s are pretty terrible for walking/moving around in,  you are better off with IEMs for all round use

IE 60s are very good for what they cost, not quite as good as the 80s, if you can justify the money then do it, but  settling for the 60 isnt exactly a bad choice if you ask me

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Why did I double post. WAT

It's a glitch in the forum when... I don't even know why it happens, but it happens sometimes. If you ever do it again, just report yourself for double posting and I mod will remove it for you :)

I already reported it so a mod should be here soon to take care of it ;)

IE60s and IE80s don't isolate very well for IEMs but ATH-M50s - including the X-variant - are overrated and overpriced.

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510

It's a glitch in the forum when... I don't even know why it happens, but it happens sometimes. If you ever do it again, just report yourself for double posting and I mod will remove it for you :)

I already reported it so a mod should be here soon to take care of it ;)

It happens to me a lot when I post threads. Maybe it is when you double click the button before it disappears dunno. 

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

I prefer IEMs for biking myself because headphones plus wind is usually not a good combo since they can fall off. I would suggest you look into Sure SE215 since that is apparently a good starter IEM. They are $100 in the US. I personally just use sony xba-1. I really don't use IEMs much so that is about as good as I need. 

WHY DOES EVERYONE WANT THE M50Xs' WHEN THE REGULAR M50s ARE ALMOST EXACTLY THE SAME AND CHEAPER?! 

Removable cable.

Apparently no pair of headphones under $200 has a removable cable except the ATH-M50X.

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510

Removable cable.

Apparently no pair of headphones under $200 has a removable cable except the ATH-M50X.

I still can't see how that feature is worth the extra $40...

My compooter: http://imgur.com/a/mDFsx?

I still can't see how that feature is worth the extra $40...

People don't think there's any other pair of headphones worth looking at other than the ATH-M50s and its M50X sibling (you can probably thank MKBHD and several audio reviewers for that). They're too close-minded to realize that there are other pairs of headphones that are even better for the money if they're just willing to look, especially considering that the ATH-M50s only got popular because they were originally around $100. Now they're overpriced and not worth the money. It's like when we - in this subforum - recommended Sennheiser PC 360s while it cost only about $180 and stopped when the price went up again.

People don't think there's any other pair of headphones worth looking at other than the ATH-M50s and its M50X sibling (you can probably thank MKBHD and several audio reviewers for that). They're too close-minded to realize that there are other pairs of headphones that are even better for the money if they're just willing to look, especially considering that the ATH-M50s only got popular because they were originally around $100. Now they're overpriced and not worth the money. It's like when we - in this subforum - recommended Sennheiser PC 360s while it cost only about $180 and stopped when the price went up again.

The Amazon warehouse deals for them are still pretty good. I got my pair for $130 from there. 

Yeah. I jumped on that bandwagon too for my first pair of "good" headphones. They're way too overhyped.

My compooter: http://imgur.com/a/mDFsx?

WHY DOES EVERYONE WANT THE M50Xs' WHEN THE REGULAR M50s ARE ALMOST EXACTLY THE SAME AND CHEAPER?! 

It has 3 different length cables and a much more comfortable earpad. Also because its newer so people perceive newer as better.

ASUS ROG G75VX

Intel i7-3630QM 2.4GHz/3.4GHz Turbo | Nvidia GeForce 670MX 3GB OCed to 736MHz | 750GB HDD | Windows 8.1 | 24 GB 1600MHz RAM | Razer Goliathus Medium | Logitech G400s | Razer Kraken/ JBL J22 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX blue

Yeah. I jumped on that bandwagon too for my first pair of "good" headphones. They're way too overhyped.

They were my 2nd after I sold my Sony MDR7506. I honestly liked them and I got them for $100 so it was decent for the price but over time I just grew tired of their comfort. 

Okay, I found out that I could buy the IE 80's in Germany for 'just' €192,-, shipping included.

I think I'm going to go for this as it's only something like €40,- more than the ATH-M50X's,

and I prefer them to the IE 60's to the point the extra €75,- doesn't bother me too much.

Any last calls on this?

Intel Core i7-3770k @4.4GHz. 1.170V - Noctua NH-D14 - 8GB (2x4) G.Skill RipjawsX @1866 MHz. CL8 - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H - Samsung 840 250GB - XFX HD7970 DD GHz. @1125MHz - CM 690 II - Seagate Barracuda 2TB + WD RED 3TB - Corsair RM750X

FiiO E10 - Sennheiser HD 598 - Edifier R1600T - Sony MHC-EX50 - Razer Blackwidow Ulitmate 2013 - Razer Deathadder 2013 - LG IPS237L - Dell P2314H - Philips 237EQPH - LG 47LB561V

I love the since you're Dutch bit :P

i think the ie80's are worth it

The ATH M50(x)'s are pretty difficult for outdoor use due it's cable lenghts but you can get a shorter one.

They are also pretty big and not really made/designed for outdoor use I think.

I thought the ATH m50's were for home use?

Thanks for helping me decide what to get. I ordered the IE 80's from Amazon.de (with Linus' link) for €192,-.

Appreciate the advice!

Thanks for helping me decide what to get. I ordered the IE 80's from Amazon.de (with Linus' link) for €192,-.

Appreciate the advice!

Expensive but I hope it satisfies you :-)