GPU boots only if i keep trying for 10-15 minutes

failaip12
Go to solution Solved by Bad5ector,

If it were me, I'd replace PSU with known good one and see if problem persists. If it does, the order of what I would suspect next would be graphics card>motherboard>other addin cards>CPU.

PC Specs:

AMD Ryzen R5 3600-only a month old as it died once

MSI B450 Gaming Plus-latest BIOS-2 years old
16GB DDR4 RAM 3200Mhz-2 years old
RX470 4GB-used mining GPU got it 8 months ago
1TB HDD + 500GB M.2 970 Evo Plus
Acer KG241 24'' 1080p 144Hz

Everything at stock speeds, except XMP.

The problem:

At some point after i got the GPU while booting it would not POST for 2 minutes and the light on MB would be on for GPU but after some 2 minutes it would boot just fine(while booting gpu fans would start and stop in same intervals), though i noticed the time slowly getting longer. The GPU otherwise was working just fine even playing more intensive games and temps were fine(always lower than 80 C). After some time i tried to turn on PC and went to eat, 20 minutes pass and it didnt boot with GPU lamp on MB on, i tried again and same, so i decided to turn it on wait 30 sec and if it didnt boot turn it off and try again. After about 5 minutes of trying it booted and i just thought that id never turn it off again . Git evry unlucky and the next few nights had constat power outages but with the technique the PC would turn on every time in about 5 min. A few days ago after 32 days of uptime Windows completly stopped responding so i had to restart, this time though it took me 15 mins to boot.
Does anyone know what i can do to fix this or at least mitigate it a bit cause i cant buy another GPU right now.

If it were me, I'd replace PSU with known good one and see if problem persists. If it does, the order of what I would suspect next would be graphics card>motherboard>other addin cards>CPU.

Sorry for the late reply it seems the GPU was not a problem I replaced it with a friend's and put my GPU in his PC and it worked good in his PC however on my side the same thing happened. As I can't really test any other part now should I just gamble and get a new MB as I don't think it's PSU as it's only few months old. 

Since you already have a friend with a PC that can handle your GPU, frankly speaking it'd be best if you could borrow his PSU to test your setup. I used to have a problem where the PC was refusing to boot unless I kept trying for a while, and once it booted, it worked normally. I chased the problem by replacing/removing every single part to no avail, until I replaced the PSU (which I did last, because I was convinced it's ok since it was a recommended brand and model and not some random blacklisted box) - and then the problem magically disappeared.

I fixed the problem after trying every part it turned out it was the SSD, once removed everythingg works perfectly. Weird.

On 10/28/2021 at 7:47 PM, failaip12 said:

AMD Ryzen R5 3600-only a month old as it died once

It died once? huh?

Don't you have OS on the SSD?