Windows 8.1: Is it worth it?

Interface, split-screen for applications ( sort of multi-tasking ).

Metro is also a thing.

Logging in with your Microsoft account OR a local account, Account Select background is customizable, etc.

How is any of this more customization than Windows 7, though?

Windows 7 has split screen.

Metro is a thing.. So is the desktop. Still, how is this "more" customization?

Logging in with MS/Local Account - Windows 7 has multiple accounts also, sir. Different types of accounts don't have anything to do with customization either.

:blink:

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

« Current PC ~ Phantom Beast »

.::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.

So it's not more customizable, it just has more things to customize.

So the OS in general is more customizable..

How is any of this more customization than Windows 7, though?

Metro is a thing.. So is the desktop. Still, how is this "more" customization?

Logging in with MS/Local Account - Windows 7 has multiple accounts also, sir. Different types of accounts don't have anything to do with customization either.

:blink:

More options in the OS is more customizability.

More options in the OS is more customizability.

You keep throwing out random lines with the word customize in them...

How does the OS offer more customization over Windows 7?

No

Explain further. As what a forum is for. your comment doesn't add anything.

Metro is also a thing.

Logging in with your Microsoft account OR a local account, Account Select background is customizable, etc.

metro is bad even on tablets.

oh yeah,nice thing that you mentioned that,because you have to tweak that too.having to enter the password every time you turn on the pc will eventually make you to grab a baseball bat and slam your pc repeatedlly

nice because now there is the update 1 thing,which helps you with some things,like HAVING AN OPTION TO SHUT DOWN the pc,or if you enter an app,like wheater,to not get stuck forever in it and what not

Yes... People keep going on about the interface of Win 8.1 and hating on it, these are the people who have no diversity in their operating systems and to whom change is a scary experience, similar to venturing outside!

I have been using Windows 8 since it was released on my home computer, where I game, do some work from home and generally muck about with all sorts of things. in all of these cases windows 8 and 8.1 have had little to no difference over windows 7 (which I use at work). You can disable the metro start menu, the chimes bars and hot corners and I did this for a while using Start 8 however I found that there were some usability issues that arose from this with key features and options being unavailable or hard to get to as a result of my tinkering. After going to Metro and sticking with it I am quite happy, I wish the apps were better but I simply don't use them. The next Windows 8.1 update should fix these last niggles with a smaller start menu and windowed apps.

Now IF you have a windows 7 licence or already have Win 7 go with that instead of buying windows 8, Win 7 is a solid experience and works very well. IF you need to purchase a new OS then seriously look at windows 8.1 as a strong choice you will find it a bit disorientating for the first few days however you will soon get into the flow of things.

If upgrading anyway, you may want to do a fresh install, backup all your files to external media or a separate partition or disk and format then reinstall, you will get rid of some of the junk that tends to collect on systems.

Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate Wants you! Join now!

UOLTT Basop | Misc Freelancer & Origin M50

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

-Groucho Marx

metro is bad even on tablets.

oh yeah,nice thing that you mentioned that,because you have to tweak that too.having to enter the password every time you turn on the pc will eventually make you to grab a baseball bat and slam your pc repeatedlly

nice because now there is the update 1 thing,which helps you with some things,like HAVING AN OPTION TO SHUT DOWN the pc,or if you enter an app,like wheater,to not get stuck forever in it and what not

Uhm... no i actually like Metro, it is designed for touch of course but you can decide not to use it if you don't like it, i have learned to live with it and i really like it. Oh well the next update will bring the start menu back and the people who hates the start screen will be happy.

Also it seems that you have never used windows 8, you just alt+f4 then hit enter to shut down the pc, and all metro apps close with dragging from the top (now they have a close button with update 1).

Main PC:

ASUS F1A55-M LX, AMD A6-3500, (2x2)gb Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600mhz, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, 
 Corsair CX430M, Cooler Master Elite 343, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Netbook:

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, Intel Atom N280, (1x1)gb DDR2 667mhz, WD Scorpio Blue 250gb 5400rpm, Zorin OS 9 Lite

I think it is not really worth it to upgrade from win7 to win8.1!

If you get a new OS though, I would get Win8.1! It is faster to boot and also run. And what I really like is that it has so many drivers included. I had almost nothing (besides GPU) that I had to get drivers for. With Win7 there was much more trouble with that.

This is just my experience, but I have Win8.1 on my PC and my Laptop and I really like it.

It takes some getting used to, but for me it works out really well.

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)

I have stock 8.1 and i can avoid all of the metro stuff completely.

I have it if you make the computer boot to desktop and disable the charms and recent apps, also get classic shell so u get a real start button. I dont deal with metro at all

So the OS in general is more customizable..

No, there's more things to customize, not more depth in the customizability.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

No, there's more things to customize, not more depth in the customizability.

More things = part of the OS.

Means the OS is more customizable in general.

I'm not saying each specific aspect of the OS is more customizable or anything.

More things = part of the OS.

Means the OS is more customizable in general.

I'm not saying each specific aspect of the OS is more customizable or anything.

In my opinion, I wouldn't say Windows 8 is more customizable. That would refer to it having more options in customizing it (which it doesnt).

The issue with general statements is that unless carefully worded, they are wrong. Windows 8 has more things to customize, maybe, but it doesn't make it more customizable.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

In my opinion, I wouldn't say Windows 8 is more customizable. That would refer to it having more options in customizing it (which it doesnt).

The issue with general statements is that unless carefully worded, they are wrong. Windows 8 has more things to customize, maybe, but it doesn't make it more customizable.

I am of opinion that more customizable means more things to customize.

And I'm of the opinion that it's more depth in customizing. I doubt we'll end up agreeing on this.

15" MBP TB

And I'm of the opinion that it's more depth in customizing. I doubt we'll end up agreeing on this.

15" MBP TB

Uhm... no i actually like Metro, it is designed for touch of course but you can decide not to use it if you don't like it, i have learned to live with it and i really like it. Oh well the next update will bring the start menu back and the people who hates the start screen will be happy.

Also it seems that you have never used windows 8, you just alt+f4 then hit enter to shut down the pc, and all metro apps close with dragging from the top (now they have a close button with update 1).

i use it and i completely ignore metro. it literally given me headaches. ok,yes you close it and go to desktop,but how do you go back to the metro homescreen from the app? i did so much things to make it look like windows but still i`m not finished yet. i also use splashtop on my tablet so i can play hearthstone. now with the stream,its really like i would have a windows tablet,all the touch functionality that windows 8 provides,and metro is a pain in the as* even on a tablet.

I just did an experiment with my 768p monitor and using a metro app+web browser is much better than split web browser tabs:

kv0vlMC.png
t0ZaN5p.png

Main PC:

ASUS F1A55-M LX, AMD A6-3500, (2x2)gb Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600mhz, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, 

Netbook:

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, Intel Atom N280, (1x1)gb DDR2 667mhz, WD Scorpio Blue 250gb 5400rpm, Zorin OS 9 Lite

Better or not, that's an opinion.

It still doesn't mean that it has more customization just because it's different.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Windows 8. I think it's great and definitely has its strengths. And actually, your example is a good one; thanks for testing it.

But again, my only point is Windows 8/8.1 doesn't offer any more customization than what Windows 7 offers.

Either way, thanks for your input! I'm sure it will give many people a good insight.

get  w8.1

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Better or not, that's an opinion.

It still doesn't mean that it has more customization just because it's different.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Windows 8. I think it's great and definitely has its strengths. And actually, your example is a good one; thanks for testing it.

But again, my only point is Windows 8/8.1 doesn't offer any more customization than what Windows 7 offers.

Either way, thanks for your input! I'm sure it will give many people a good insight.

Yes, of course, everyone has its opinions about it and i respect them. I guess the people that say it is more customizable is because of the live tiles (changing position and size) it is more difficult to have 2 computers that look the same. And without having to mod it with other programs. Because you can get many skins for windows 7, even to make it look like windows 8.

Main PC:

Netbook:

Yes, of course, everyone has its opinions about it and i respect them. I guess the people that say it is more customizable is because of the live tiles (changing position and size) it is more difficult to have 2 computers that look the same. And without having to mod it with other programs. Because you can get many skins for windows 7, even to make it look like windows 8.

Yup, exactly.

And the moral of the story here, is that both OS's are great. It's up to the user, because the opinions between which of the two to choose will be a dead split 50/50 no matter who or where you ask.

I have it if you make the computer boot to desktop and disable the charms and recent apps, also get classic shell so u get a real start button. I dont deal with metro at all

Yeah theres an option to boot to desktop, and i dont need the start menu, its useless for me.

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

ultimately i still prefer windows 7 as my best user experience.

however, windows 8 on my tablet pc has been proven to be more efficient due to its faster boot up n shut down timing.. I can shut down my pc within seconds and pack up immediately when class ends. 

few years back, i still have to wait for about 1min for my laptop to shut down completely