Windows 8.1: Is it worth it?

windows 8.1 + update 1 .

but we need to wait for that a while longer...

Windows 8.1 is good. So is windows 7. For a new computer I would suggest going with windows 8.1

It does have advantages over windows 7 such as faster boot times and better memory and cpu usage. Games acutally perform better in 8.1

One of the biggest reasons I would say is the windows 8.1 is the future of windows. Might as well stay up to date.

The other thing is that you can use windows 8.1 EXACTLY how you would with windows 7. Soon they are going to have a start menu for people who want to use it in a later update and modern style apps will be able to be in a desktop window. These modern style apps though do have use. They are making windows 8.1 more and more mouse friendly. They just made an update called update 1 and def makes things better for mouse.

I would say get windows 8.1. Try the start screen (personally I like it). If you do not like it you can right now download a start menu such as Classicshell and use windows 8.1 just like windows 7 but just to remind you there is going to be an update where a start menu will be available to use. http://hexus.net/tech/news/software/68181-microsoft-shows-start-menu-coming-future-windows-update/ There is really no disadvantage anymore. In fact there are plenty advantages. Programs are working well with windows 8.1. If this is a personal computer I would say 8.1 is the way to go. A business probably should go with the more reliable win7. Win7 is more reliable but 8.1 is getting there.

How is any of this more customization than Windows 7, though?

Windows 7 has split screen.

Metro is a thing.. So is the desktop. Still, how is this "more" customization?

Logging in with MS/Local Account - Windows 7 has multiple accounts also, sir. Different types of accounts don't have anything to do with customization either.

:blink:

You keep throwing out random lines with the word customize in them...

How does the OS offer more customization over Windows 7?

OK, this is very simple.

Windows 7 has this, this, this, and this that can all be customizable.

Windows 8.1 has this, this, this, and this but also that and that.

Windows 8.1 has everything windows 7 can customize either in windows already or downloading and installing things. Thing is windows 8.1 also has things that windows 7 can't have which can also be customized. This means windows 8.1 is more customizable. Windows 7 doesn't have a start screen, modern style apps, Microsoft account (which you can sign onto any windows 8 device/machine) and other things. Yet there isn't one thing that I can think of that windows 7 has that windows 8.1 doesn't have or can't be installed.

Hello.

I built my first computer, back in around November/December of 2013. My dad hoped scrap up a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium. I like Windows 7, but I've been interested lately, about getting Windows 8.1, and probably disabling Metro.

Thoughts?

(Please put your experiences with Windows 8.1 and opinions.)

~Stephen.

IMO, not worth the trouble of upgrading.  I don't like Metro and I would have to reinstall about 200 programs.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

OK, this is very simple.

Windows 7 has this, this, this, and this that can all be customizable.

Windows 8.1 has this, this, this, and this but also that and that.

Windows 8.1 has everything windows 7 can customize either in windows already or downloading and installing things. Thing is windows 8.1 also has things that windows 7 can't have which can also be customized. This means windows 8.1 is more customizable. Windows 7 doesn't have a start screen, modern style apps, Microsoft account (which you can sign onto any windows 8 device/machine) and other things. Yet there isn't one thing that I can think of that windows 7 has that windows 8.1 doesn't have or can't be installed.

Every single thing you just mentioned are Features and/or Benefits of Windows 8. Not customization's.

Just because Windows 8 "has a Microsoft account" or "modern style apps" or "a start screen" and such, has nothing to do with customizing. 

And there are things Windows 7 can do that Windows 8 cannot.

It's just like if I said my monitor is larger than yours, has better color, and better refresh rate.

• Is my monitor better than yours? Maybe.

• Is it more customizable? No, it just offers different things than yours.

[silly example, I know.. But an example nonetheless.]

Anyways, I am done talking about this!

Lets agree to disagree.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

« Current PC ~ Phantom Beast »

.::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.

Every single thing you just mentioned are Features and/or Benefits of Windows 8. Not customization's.

Just because Windows 8 "has a Microsoft account" or "modern style apps" or "a start screen" and such, has nothing to do with customizing. 

And there are things Windows 7 can do that Windows 8 cannot.

It's just like if I said my monitor is larger than yours, has better color, and better refresh rate.

• Is my monitor better than yours? Maybe.

• Is it more customizable? No, it just offers different things than yours.

[silly example, I know.. But an example nonetheless.]

Anyways, I am done talking about this!

Lets agree to disagree.

actually it does. You customize the start screen. Using a start screen or using a start menu. Using a MS account or a local account. Choices to change how you use or how windows looks is customizing windows. Being able to choose one thing or another is a way for customizing. Plus, the start screen is meant for customizing with different back grounds, colors, and placement and size of tiles. SO YES, I am right about having those things gives you more customization.

actually it does. You customize the start screen. Using a start screen or using a start menu. Using a MS account or a local account. Choices to change how you use or how windows looks is customizing windows. Being able to choose one thing or another is a way for customizing. Plus, the start screen is meant for customizing with different back grounds, colors, and placement and size of tiles. SO YES, I am right about having those things gives you more customization.

Because you can't customize Windows 7 start screen?

You can't download new themes to change up everything about Windows 7 from start menu, to icons, backgrounds, taskbar, etc?

You can't customize the Desktop?

You mentioned those things like they are "extra"... Just because you can do those things, doesn't mean you can't do them in Windows 7 either.

Hell, you can make Windows 7 look and function like Windows 8.

Now, with that said, my point isn't that you can or can't do such things in Windows 7.

My only point is defending the comment "Windows 8 is more customizable". Because everything you mentioned, you can do in Win7 in different ways.

Anyways, I am beyond done talking about this... It's a never-ending cycle and you know it. This thread is now what, a week old?

So i'll say it again...

Agree to disagree, and this is my last post on this thread.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

« Current PC ~ Phantom Beast »

.::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.

I might want to request a lock, if possible, because the debate really isn't supposed to be part of the topic.

Error 404: No signature found.

Because you can't customize Windows 7 start screen?

You can't download new themes to change up everything about Windows 7 from start menu, to icons, backgrounds, taskbar, etc?

You can't customize the Desktop?

You mentioned those things like they are "extra"... Just because you can do those things, doesn't mean you can't do them in Windows 7 either.

Hell, you can make Windows 7 look and function like Windows 8.

Now, with that said, my point isn't that you can or can't do such things in Windows 7.

My only point is defending the comment "Windows 8 is more customizable". Because everything you mentioned, you can do in Win7 in different ways.

Anyways, I am beyond done talking about this... It's a never-ending cycle and you know it. This thread is now what, a week old?

So i'll say it again...

Agree to disagree, and this is my last post on this thread.

HAHA you can download something to make it look like a start screen but in no way does it have the functionality of windows 8/8.1 start screen. I am saying windows 8 is more customizable because there are just a couple things that windows 7 doesn't have. I haven't even mentioned them all so.