I7 4790k and rtx2060 6gb set up

Hi all.

I feel like a newbie and as in topic it says i need help understanding how to use my gaming rig on its full potential (*knowing i would be botteneck by cpu) Am I able go push out from the config below above 60 fps with graphics presets around high? The games i would consider are(gta5, division, metro oxidus, far cry... and newer games such as rdr2 deaths trending and and horizon zero dawn (about horizon i might have to stick to somewhat normal set)

Long story short, my config pretty outdated and i bought things in different times (like cpu and additional 8 gb of ram) And i kinda wanted to slowly go to new gen with ddr4 stud that's how i end up with 2060... So here what i have for gaming config;

• motherboard: ASRock ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming Fatal1ty Z97 Killer LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
  • CPU: i7 4790k (funny enough i most proud of my silent cpu cooler Scythe Ninja 5 Air CPU Cooler, 120mm Single Tower)
  • Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL + another (2x4gb) but can't remember the brand... but all 4 sticks are in dual channel mode and run in 1600
  • GPU: asus dual geforce rtf 2060 evo 6gb 
  • Power Supply: Rosewill ARC Series 750W 80 PLUS Bronze

Hopefully i posting it in correct topic forum.

thanks 

5 minutes ago, Konstantin tech said:

i need help understanding how to use my gaming rig on its full potential (*knowing i would be botteneck by cpu) Am I able go push out from the config below above 60 fps with graphics presets around high?

Overclock the CPU and GPU,The K in it's name is not there for nothing.

Just make sure that the voltage is within a safe range.

Also what case do you have?

If you max out the cooler and want to overclock more you can upgrade the cooler to a Scythe Fuma 2.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

11 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Overclock the CPU and GPU,The K in it's name is not there for nothing.

Just make sure that the voltage is within a safe range.

Also what case do you have?

If you max out the cooler and want to overclock more you can upgrade the cooler to a Scythe Fuma 2.

My case; if i remember correctly budget cooler master case. The only thing is i don't fully close my side panel so it has some air flow...

Totally forgot. i have 1 120 fan intake in front, 1 out in the back. Plus my cpu fan is in silent mode so i don't go above 50C. So if i would overclock i just switch my fans to different mode and it should be enough..

Is there good recommended source to do proper overclocking? 

p.s I might of burned my previous AMD cpu by following someone's guide... Or it just burned because of spike in electrical.... 

Ok the cpu is a must to overclock, its a 22nm so pretty similar voltages it can handle to 14nm so deathzone is ~1.95v, absolute max "safe" ~1.65v, reccomended max safe ~1.52v (14nm intel spec)

1.5v should be more than enough for 5ghz if you wanna take it that far and the ninja 5 can keep the cpu under 75c

Speaking of which put some high performance fans on the ninja 5, go for arctic p12/p120 fans cause the stock fans only go to 800rpm which is very pathetic, though you could prob have a go at shoving 24v through it with some janky wiring (done it with a cheap lighted chinese fan and even after a few hours it still runs fine so dont expect your fan to die unless you shove 30v or something), connect the 1st (gnd) pin to pin 14 on your 24 pin connector (-12v) and the second (12v) just put it into any 12v source though i prefer having it also connected to the 24 pin, it should be able to run this config fine for awhile since its prob a really low amp fan so you could prob 24/7 it, low amp fans will usually withstand high volts better than high amp fans cause they dont heat up as much

I also suggest doing a slight bit of bclk oc, maybe 103 or 105 to basically overclock everything and i mean everything so itll run abit faster

Psu should be ok as long as you dont go shoving a 3080 in that system

29 minutes ago, Konstantin tech said:

My case; if i remember correctly budget cooler master case. The only thing is i don't fully close my side panel so it has some air flow...

Totally forgot. i have 1 120 fan intake in front, 1 out in the back. Plus my cpu fan is in silent mode so i don't go above 50C. So if i would overclock i just switch my fans to different mode and it should be enough..

Is there good recommended source to do proper overclocking? 

p.s I might of burned my previous AMD cpu by following someone's guide... Or it just burned because of spike in electrical.... 

I am an experienced overclocker so i can safely guide you through.

Before you begin you should know that:

1The most dangerous thing about overclocking is the voltage,

Max safe voltage for the 4790K is around 1.3 volt (1.35V maybe fine)

2.You should increase the voltage only if the overclock is unstable.

Now that i got it out of the way let's begin:

1. bump the clock speed by 100MHz then save and apply.

2.Dpwnload HWMonitor to monitor the clock speed and temps

3.Download Prime95, check the Small FFTs option and run it for a hour (Prime95 is a stability test).

4.If boost overrides the overclock - disable the boost.

5.If Prime95 shows no errors or warnings after a hour repeat step 1.

But if there are errors or warnings bump the voltage a bit and repeat step 1 again (don't exceed 1.3V!).

This guide is very safe.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

6 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

1.5v should be more than enough for 5ghz if you wanna take it that far and the ninja 5 can keep the cpu under 75c

1.5V will kill the poor 4790K

Just now, Vishera said:

14nm spec is 1.52v and thats intel spec

22nm is similar to 14nm

Stop babying the absolute crap out of your cpu, ill happily run 1.7-1.8v on my 45nm cpus if i had the cooling to do so, heck ill prob try running my cpu at 2.05v and see if it dies or not (sacrificial e5300)

4 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

22nm is similar to 14nm

Stop babying the absolute crap out of your cpu, ill happily run 1.7-1.8v on my 45nm cpus if i had the cooling to do so, heck ill prob try running my cpu at 2.05v and see if it dies or not (sacrificial e5300)

That's not how it works...

Devil's Canyon CPUs can't handle 1.5V 24/7,It will kill the CPU.

15 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

8 minutes ago, Vishera said:

@JurrunioHelp me please 😄

2 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

ill prob try running my cpu at 2.05v and see if it dies or not (sacrificial e5300)

Yea p5q is a baby and just shuts off as soon as it tries to enter bios or boot into os, board is fucking trash, i hope that ud3p can be fixed cause i dont wanna be stuck with this pos that cant even beat a g31 at max fsb xD

Though when volt is set to its max (2.1v) it does actually still live since my sacrificial cpu is still alive atm, though i think it vdroops to ~2.03v so close to 2.05 but not quite, also cant really prove that its running a specific volt, just a rough estimate

Currently just f ing around with my other cpus and see how far i can push them (temp sensor wont show over 100c, just shows -25c for some reason)

2 hours ago, Vishera said:

It will kill the CPU.

This is what is wrong, it degrades the cpu over time not just goes insta killing it, that would be if you run the deathzone volt +0.2v (insta deathzone)

@Jurrunio well they havent responed here so lets see what they have to say

Also ive even seen 7nm ryzens being pushed to 1.9v on xoc but the majority are ~1.75, so i dont really use 1.9v as a deathzone for ryzen, xoc usually rams the cpus into deathzone so thats where i get my deathzone volts from

16 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Though when volt is set to its max (2.1v) it does actually still live since my sacrificial cpu is still alive atm, though i think it vdroops to ~2.03v so close to 2.05 but not quite, also cant really prove that its running a specific volt, just a rough estimate

2.1V?! - I see that you like to torture CPUs...

This is what is wrong, it degrades the cpu over time not just goes insta killing it, that would be if you run the deathzone volt +0.2v (insta deathzone)

I already know that:

2 hours ago, Vishera said:

Devil's Canyon CPUs can't handle 1.5V 24/7

They degrade until they die (and become unstable at stock speeds if it is degraded enough),and at 1.5V it will happen way faster than stock voltages..

Also ive even seen 7nm ryzens being pushed to 1.9v on xoc but the majority are ~1.75, so i dont really use 1.9v as a deathzone for ryzen, xoc usually rams the cpus into deathzone so thats where i get my deathzone volts from

You are in the hell of CPUs torturing them.

These poor CPUs....

Committing crimes against CPUs.

So guys a bit of googlefu 1.35v is "safe" without going into a Victorian happy degrading death party, and 1.45v is "max" including the Victorian death party...

Imo there's no reason to push a chip so much for daily usage, and gaming prob won't be benefitting much from a degrading soon to be dead cpu.  🤷‍♂️

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

5 minutes ago, Vishera said:

2.1V?! - I see that you like to torture CPUs...

I already know that:

They degrade until they die (and become unstable at stock speeds if it is degraded enough),and at 1.5V it will happen way faster than stock voltages..

You are in the hell of CPUs torturing them.

These poor CPUs....

Committing crimes against CPUs.

Yea

Pretty used to bulletproof cpus so im kinda cool with running 1.75v on 45nm cause deathzone is 2.05v

Currently torture testing my pentiums at 1.75v, one of my e5700 just shoots to 90c but has to wait awhile to get to 100c, the other just shoots straight to 100c, e5800 has been the best pentium so far shooting to 90 and having to wait awhile to get to 100c

Tbh e5400 is my best pentium sample cause it does 4.5ghz w ~1.55v though it heats up like a c2d so pretty pointless atm with my crappy chinese tower xD

2 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

22nm is similar to 14nm

tbf i tried finding that info but couldn't. 

I'd probably go with what the manufacturer says too, i can't imagine intel giving out suicidal high voltages for their cpus?

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

10 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

tbf i tried finding that info but couldn't. 

I'd probably go with what the manufacturer says too, i can't imagine intel giving put suicidal high voltages for their cpus?

I found the info 😄 Safe voltage for Intel 14nm is 1.35V,1.4V max.

3 minutes ago, Vishera said:

I found the info 😄 Safe voltage for Intel 14nm is 1.35V,1.4V max.

Source?

Intel spec says 1.52v

5 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Intel spec says 1.52v

That's for exotic cooling

1 minute ago, Vishera said:

That's for exotic cooling

Lol

As long as you keep the cpu under ~75c itll be fine, doesnt need to be exotic, if a custom waterloop was able to acheive those temps then that would work too

For me exotic is really only worth it for rams cause its much easier to slap a tec and a cooler to cool the tec rather than a full on phase change system for the cpu

21 hours ago, Vishera said:

I am an experienced overclocker so i can safely guide you through.

Before you begin you should know that:

1The most dangerous thing about overclocking is the voltage,

Max safe voltage for the 4790K is around 1.3 volt (1.35V maybe fine)

2.You should increase the voltage only if the overclock is unstable.

Now that i got it out of the way let's begin:

1. bump the clock speed by 100MHz then save and apply.

2.Dpwnload HWMonitor to monitor the clock speed and temps

3.Download Prime95, check the Small FFTs option and run it for a hour (Prime95 is a stability test).

4.If boost overrides the overclock - disable the boost.

5.If Prime95 shows no errors or warnings after a hour repeat step 1.

But if there are errors or warnings bump the voltage a bit and repeat step 1 again (don't exceed 1.3V!).

This guide is very safe.

Thanks for advice. I will try that.

Regarding fans; i just checked and the out of box ninja fans goes to about 850rpm max. and my second cpu fan not being recognized in bios....

I have a couple fans from my old cooler master cpu cooler (need to check what they can do)

So here is a plan;

1 double check my cooling

2 reset bios and start the oc

Just qq. Do you mean increase 100mhz on cpu to start with or on everything?

thanks

The problem with that would be is its very tight space to get them in...

p.s found exact name of case -DEEPCOOL TESSERACT SW Mid Tower Computer Case with Side Window

Also found specs of my old cpu cooler 

Fan Dimension120 x 120 x 25 mm (4.7 x 4.7 x 1 in)

Fan Speed600 – 2,000 RPM (PWM) ± 10%

Fan Airflow24.9 – 82.9 CFM ± 10%

In case i will use them. I will have put them like in scrape yard wars with some tape as the bracket to hold those fans are broken fans itself are good. of btw its 2 of them

>>>>>>>>>>>>

here something i noticed today. In bios i see only 1 fan speed instead of 2 so i can't really control both. (maybe with cooler master fans its different

Edited by Konstantin tech
addition to fans

1 hour ago, Konstantin tech said:

Just qq. Do you mean increase 100mhz on cpu to start with or on everything?

thanks

On CPU only

p.s found exact name of case -DEEPCOOL TESSERACT SW Mid Tower Computer Case with Side Window

It's OK for airflow if you remove the bottom drive cage and put a fan on the front.

Also found specs of my old cpu cooler 

Fan Dimension120 x 120 x 25 mm (4.7 x 4.7 x 1 in)

Fan Speed600 – 2,000 RPM (PWM) ± 10%

Fan Airflow24.9 – 82.9 CFM ± 10%

That's good.

here something i noticed today. In bios i see only 1 fan speed instead of 2 so i can't really control both. (maybe with cooler master fans its different

Are they both PWM?

It's OK for airflow if you remove the bottom drive cage and put a fan on the front.

i do have fan there but also i running 2 3.5 drives for storage so i can't really remove it

Are they both PWM?

good question.... i don't remember and its hard to check because of width of cooler. but i guess i will dig in

6 minutes ago, Konstantin tech said:

i do have fan there but also i running 2 3.5 drives for storage so i can't really remove it

That impedes airflow,

But since your side panel is a bit open that makes the the airflow better,

Just how much of an opening is there between the side panel and the case?

3 minutes ago, Konstantin tech said:

good question.... i don't remember and its hard to check because of width of cooler. but i guess i will dig in

Only PWM fans can be controlled.

11 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Just how much of an opening is there between the side panel and the case?

ok its basically completely open. the side panel there just to pretend its covering