R9 290 Fans stops working

ahmed.shazly

I have R9 290 DirectCU II . The temperatures are fine but after couple of hours gaming the fans stop working suddenly and the temperature skyrockets to 95 degrees and the system shuts down, If I boot up again everything seems fine except that the fans won't spin. I leave the pc shut down for some time and the fans spin again. or I can take the card cool it under a fan, install the card again and it spins. What could be causing this issue? Remark that before purchasing the card, the seller changed the old fans as they were heavy, so they are new fans.

I would tell the seller to give you the proper fans.
I would have way more trust in a company that has to keep their name up, then some random computer parts seller.

AMD puts millions in research, thats including the cooling solution, did your seller? 馃槃

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

That's definitely odd, it's possible something on the card is overheating and causing the fans to malfunction... try setting a more aggressive fan curve. If the card has been "tampered" with by the seller it's possible they didn't mount the cooler back on perfectly, maybe they lost or misplaced some thermal pads.

Also if the fans are not standard definitely get some standard ones, preferably the originals from that card.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please聽馃え

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

18 minutes ago, Sauron said:

That's definitely odd, it's possible something on the card is overheating and causing the fans to malfunction... try setting a more aggressive fan curve. If the card has been "tampered" with by the seller it's possible they didn't mount the cooler back on perfectly, maybe they lost or misplaced some thermal pads.

Also if the fans are not standard definitely get some standard ones, preferably the originals from that card.

It is the original fans for the card, you maybe right, I will check the pads and all these stuff to make sure.

21 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

I would tell the seller to give you the proper fans.
I would have way more trust in a company that has to keep their name up, then some random computer parts seller.

AMD puts millions in research, thats including the cooling solution, did your seller? 馃槃

It is the proper fans for the cards, I won't accept anything that's not compatible for the card. But as there rpms are ok but suddenly stops made me confused.

22 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I am curious though aren't the fans supposed to run even faster if something is overheating?聽

2 hours ago, ahmed.shazly said:

I am curious though aren't the fans supposed to run even faster if something is overheating?聽

I'm saying something is failing on the card because of the heat, electronics don't work like they're supposed to when they overheat (which is why we cool them).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please聽馃え

sudo chmod -R 000 /*