Is the rtx 3070 worth the extra money over the rtx 3060 ti

Parzival120

So I have been wanting a gpu forever for my first pc build but I am thinking about just buying a gpu off of eBay and is see Rtx 3060 Ti’s for around $750 and I see Rtx 3070’s for around $875 is the 3070 worth the extra money over the 3060 ti? I am mainly using my pc for VR.

Maybe.

If its a non LHR 3070, then yeah, its wort it, you can mine the extra speant in a month or two.

If its a LHR one, you may be able to still mine it off, NBMiner has beat the lhr completly on 3070ti and up, 100% hashrate unlocked, as it seems on github.

on 3070 you get about 80-90% hashrate, if you were to mine it off.while the nominee patchnotes claim this, it doesn’t actually work. Looks like it’s just 70% max, maybe a bit more

Performance wise, meh, it depends on cpu, if its a higher end cpu, 3070 it shoudl work

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

$750 for a 3060Ti? $875 for a 3070? Bruh...

You can find AMD GPU's for MSRP if you try hard enough, I got my 6700XT for $480, and if I can do it, you can too. Look up fixitfixitfixit on discord/youtube

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

No gpu is currently worth the price they are.

You will absolutely not see 800$ worth of graphics at all. They are not 800$ products and will not perform as such. They are simply scarce, thats it.

47 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Maybe.

If its a non LHR 3070, then yeah, its wort it, you can mine the extra speant in a month or two.

If its a LHR one, you may be able to still mine it off, NBMiner has beat the lhr completly on 3070ti and up, 100% hashrate unlocked, as it seems on github.

on 3070 you get about 80-90% hashrate, if you were to mine it off.

Performance wise, meh, it depends on cpu, if its a higher end cpu, 3070 it shoudl work

I am not planing on mining and I will never mine I want to know VR performance 

42 minutes ago, IAmNotASmartMan said:

I didn't know and so out of curiousity checked out a comparison

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-3070-vs-Nvidia-RTX-3060-Ti/4083vs4090

Whilst it is objectively 'better', it felt like a lot of the stats are a choice between exceptionally good and exceptionally gooder. Would you even be able to tell the difference in user experience if they weren't side by side?

On the flip side, $125 bucks is a decent chuck of change to me, some people probably spend that much on their gold leaf toilet paper.

Are you on a budget? How much is $125 bucks to you? Are there other option you could spend that $125 on that might offer you more value? Would you like to say you've used gold leaf toilet paper at least once?

An additional $125 is a pretty big amount to me

1 hour ago, Parzival120 said:

So I have been wanting a gpu forever for my first pc build but I am thinking about just buying a gpu off of eBay and is see Rtx 3060 Ti’s for around $750 and I see Rtx 3070’s for around $875 is the 3070 worth the extra money over the 3060 ti? I am mainly using my pc for VR.

Save the $125 on the card and buy some games with it. 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

1 hour ago, Action_Johnson said:

$750 for a 3060Ti? $875 for a 3070? Bruh...

You can find AMD GPU's for MSRP if you try hard enough, I got my 6700XT for $480, and if I can do it, you can too. Look up fixitfixitfixit on discord/youtube

I wholeheartedly agree with this, but if OP must get one of the two GPUs, I think I'd have to stomach the 3060 Ti. Even though that price is also gross, lol.

But as a former 3060 Ti owner, I can vouch for it being an absolute workhorse. You can even OC it to come within percentages of a stock 3070.

Leonidas Specs: Ryzen 7 5800X3D | AMD 6800 XT Midnight Black | MSI B550 Gaming Plus | Corsair Dominator CL16 3200 MHz  4x8 32GB | be quiet! Silent Base 802

Maximus Specs: Ryzen 7 3700x | AMD 6700 XT Power Color Fighter | Asrock B550M-Itx/AC | Corsair Vengeance CL 16 3200 MHz 2x8 16 GB | Fractal Ridge Case (HTPC)

1 hour ago, Parzival120 said:

I am not planing on mining and I will never mine I want to know VR performance 

I was just suggesting that if you get the better card you might be able to mine back what you speant....

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

57 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

I was just suggesting that if you get the better card you might be able to mine back what you speant....

it appears ops intent is to use it for what it's made for vs mining