somerandomtechyboi's build logs

Somerandomtechyboi

Heres a thread for all the builds im doing right now and in the future, there will be alot and i mean alot of emphasis on old hardware along with voltmodding, fabricating sht, subzero or weird cooling solutions, and most importantly overclocking, so if anyones searching for stuff related to that then this thread may be of some help to you

This will be the unimportant or uninteresting builds box + offtopic stuff

The offtopic box may help ppl or i just feel like posting cause why not ¯\_ (ツ) _/¯  will contain tons of experimentation, modding, etc. So if you are working with oldschool hardware like me then you may find some stuff in the offtopic box to be helpful

Unimportant/uninteresting builds box

Spoiler

(Insert boring builds here)

Offtopic stuff

Spoiler

25/11/21: Been f ing around with my p5q to see if i can get a higher fsb and apparently the p5qd turbo bios is better than kets p5q pro turbo modded bios (550 max on kets bios vs 570 max on p5qd turbo bios)

I may even request a shrunk down maximus ii formula bios that is compatible with the mx25l8005 bios chip in a bios mods forum so maybe ill post that here if i ever get around to doing it, but then again is it really worth trying to save a sad excuse of a p45 board when gigabyte, dfi, and biostar have far superior boards capable of ~700fsb?

26/11/21: f ing around with mmtool and swapped ebb on the p5qd bios with one from maximus ii formula and a few other boards and still stuck at 570, miif still 570, p5qe still 570, p5ke abit worse at 560, even tried rex but that is even worse than the p5ke, tried commando but also seems to be as garbage as the rex ebb

I think its just my mb capping out now, i wonder what would happen if i were to tec cool the nb and maybe even do some mods to the power delivery like cap mods to stabilize volts, maybe i could reach 600fsb considering the ebb is from an miif

IMG_20211022_172014.thumb.jpg.9ad53b2b7255989f34d01940673a4ed1.jpg

Bought this board for 5$ broken, apparently the seller says that it started randomly turning on and off while they were gaming, it just arrived

My suspicion is that their psu is trash or something on the board is shorted

In its current state it does have abit of dust so i wouldnt be surprised if something is shorting so ill give this thing a bath of isopropyl alcohol, im gonna be using 96% instead of 99% but 99% is like ~95% anyways so doesnt matter

ill spray the socket and every slot i see on the board (pcie, ram, power, etc.), though i will prob take off the nb and sb heatsinks and get rid of the thermal paste/pad on it

Also the seller didnt even overclock it ;-;

A fking ud3p one of the best boards on 775 fsb ocing which can reach ~700fsb hasnt even been overclocked .-.  Ah well i guess i dont have to worry about the socket, vrms, or ram slots being burned or something

17 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

IMG_20211022_172014.thumb.jpg.9ad53b2b7255989f34d01940673a4ed1.jpg

Bought this board for 5$ broken, apparently the seller says that it started randomly turning on and off while they were gaming, it just arrived

My suspicion is that their psu is trash or something on the board is shorted

In its current state it does have abit of dust so i wouldnt be surprised if something is shorting so ill give this thing a bath of isopropyl alcohol, im gonna be using 96% instead of 99% but 99% is like ~95% anyways so doesnt matter

ill spray the socket and every slot i see on the board (pcie, ram, power, etc.), though i will prob take off the nb and sb heatsinks and get rid of the thermal paste/pad on it

Also the seller didnt even overclock it ;-;

A fking ud3p one of the best boards on 775 fsb ocing which can reach ~700fsb hasnt even been overclocked .-.  Ah well i guess i dont have to worry about the socket, vrms, or ram slots being burned or something

Before cleaning you should first test it out. Also, Don't mess with socket at all.

About the ep45 board

Yea the stupid nb is damaged (chip on the lower right corner) even if i fix the issue its prob dead anyways

Ill just declare it dead before testing

Well should have bought a p5b instead huh, that was a waste of 5$ ;-;

Ok board is somehow posting codes but gets stuck on c1, i think the seller was describing a slow on and off rather than a rapid on off which is usually caused by a short

If i oc the rams too much on my g31 board it gets stuck on c1 so a ram error, prob gonna have to drench the socket with isopropyl alcohol, or maybe its just incompatible with my team extreem rams

IMG_20211022_192850.thumb.jpg.a4f9ca6a6ed69bf44211cb90e5dda382.jpg

Well just for good measure i drenched the entire thing in isopropyl alcohol and im just leaving it to dry now

Welp that was a waste of time, nb is pretty much shot now so yea p5b would have been a much much better choice, this thing would prob work if it werent for the nb being shot

Ill salvage the backup bios chip and see if i can use an sop8 socket and stick it on my p5q, maybe i can run a gigabyte bios on it, or ill just save it for when i eventually buy another one of these mbs

Welp now that the ep45 is confirmed dead cause nb is broken i have potentially 3 choices

Voltmod my g31m s2c, it already goes to 542fsb and prob abit higher if i voltmod my sb, so maybe voltmod nb so itll be more stable with high fsb freq cause atm it hates going over 900mhz stable on the ram

Buy a p5b and bios flash to commando, commado is the best p965 mb but its p965 and the record is 648 so i doubt ill see any improvement over my p5q, also its a broken board though the seller says it hasnt been used in a long time so prob easy fix cause its dirty

Potentially find someone that has a p5q deluxe and ask them to sell me a bios chip, basically allows me to flash a better bios on my p5q, prob gonna flash to a maximus ii formula