Memory is "Intel Only"?

Go to solution Solved by PenguinMaster,
7 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

That's 32GB = +$$ and of course RGB = +$$ and then that better quality die.... and they know it.... = +$$..

And why I run only 16gb. Haven't had the memory warning on the HTPC which the kids uses the F out of. He doesn't stream, but gaming and chat + AI (likes to play BeamNGDrive a lot haha). Haven't maxed 16gb yet. So if your only gaming, save your coin and just get 16gb... unless you're a streamer junky (or other compute), then I understand. 

I think I might just get the 16GB because even though my use case is gaming / 3D modeling I think I can get away with 16GB plus I honestly don't think its worth so much extra to me

This is the set I'm set on: CMW16GX4M2Z3600C14

The price is pretty good at $136.99

So hopefully after selling my old memory it should be almost even for pricing. I know the capacity is half now but I'm honestly just happy that the computer will finally work without blue screening.

Recently my computer has been randomly blue-screening and randomly not waking up from sleep. It seems that the A-XMP 1 Profile on my MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX motherboard is causing the ram to run unstable. The RAM I am using is F4-3600C19D-16GVRB. It's G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x 8GB) kits and I have two of them installed in my system.

First I thought it was a BIOS-related issue and so I tried to update the BIOS using MSI's tool and I was unsuccessful and the BIOS ended up corrupting itself. Then I had the board RMA'd and they swapped it for a different unit. The new motherboard runs fine with A-XMP OFF but NOT when it is enabled. The RAM then causes the computer to blue-screen again. I then contacted G.Skill support and they told me that the RAM I had is "Intel-only" and that the only solution to my problem is to spend $175 buying "AMD Ryzen certified memory". Is there legitimately a difference between "Intel certified" and "AMD certified" memory, or is it just a marketing sham so they can charge almost double the price for the same memory kit?

Also if there is actually a difference in the memory kits why do they hide this in the description of the memory kits? Also, PCPartPicker lists my memory kit as compatible with my motherboard, but according to G.Skill, it's not. In the reviews of my memory kit on Newegg it seems many other people have had this same issue as me and G.Skill hasn't updated their listing to state that this is "Intel-only" memory.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do?

If you need me to follow up on something, please quote or tag me.

buy intel or different ram

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>

Just now, YoungBlade said:

What CPU do you have?

I have a Ryzen 7 3700X

5 minutes ago, PenguinMaster said:

Is there legitimately a difference between "Intel certified" and "AMD certified" memory, or is it just a marketing sham so they can charge almost double the price for the same memory kit?

To the best of my knowledge, no (outside of some quirky AMD-only DDR2 from way back when).

You might need to dial back the memory speed a little though (XMP isn't a guarantee).

Main System (Byarlant): Ryzen 7 5800X | Asus B550-Creator ProArt | EK 240mm Basic AIO | 16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-14 | XFX Speedster SWFT 210 RX 6600 | Samsung 990 PRO 2TB / Samsung 960 PRO 512GB / 4× Crucial MX500 2TB (RAID-0) | Corsair RM750X | Mellanox ConnectX-3 10G NIC | Inateck USB 3.0 Card | Hyte Y60 Case | Dell U3415W Monitor | Keychron K4 Brown (white backlight)

Laptop (Narrative): Lenovo Flex 5 81X20005US | Ryzen 5 4500U | 16GB RAM (soldered) | Vega 6 Graphics | SKHynix P31 1TB NVMe SSD | Intel AX200 Wifi (all-around awesome machine)

Proxmox Server (Veda): Ryzen 7 3800XT | AsRock Rack X470D4U | Corsair H80i v2 | 64GB Micron DDR4 ECC 3200MT/s | 4x 10TB WD Whites / 4x 14TB Seagate Exos / 2× Samsung PM963a 960GB SSD | Seasonic Prime Fanless 500W | Intel X540-T2 10G NIC | LSI 9207-8i HBA | Fractal Design Node 804 Case (side panels swapped to show off drives) | VMs: TrueNAS Scale; Ubuntu Server (PiHole/PiVPN/NGINX?); Windows 10 Pro; Ubuntu Server (Apache/MySQL)

Media Center/Video Capture (Jesta Cannon): Ryzen 5 1600X | ASRock B450M Pro4 R2.0 | Noctua NH-L12S | 16GB Crucial DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-22 | EVGA GTX750Ti SC | UMIS NVMe SSD 256GB / Seagate 1.5TB HDD | Corsair CX450M | Viewcast Osprey 260e Video Capture | Mellanox ConnectX-2 10G NIC | LG UH12NS30 BD-ROM | Silverstone Sugo SG-11 Case | Sony XR65A80K

Camera: Sony ɑ7II w/ Meike Grip | Sony SEL24240 | Samyang 35mm ƒ/2.8 | Sony SEL50F18F | Sony SEL2870 (kit lens) | PNY Elite Perfomance 512GB SDXC card

Network:

Spoiler
                           ┌─────────────── Office/Rack ────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
Google Fiber Webpass ────── UniFi Security Gateway ─── UniFi Switch 8-60W ─┬─ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Veda (Proxmox Virtual Switch)
(500Mbps↑/500Mbps↓)                             UniFi CloudKey Gen2 (PoE) ─┴─ Veda (IPMI)           ╠═ Veda-NAS (HW Passthrough NIC)
╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╩═ Narrative (Asus USB 2.5G NIC)
║ ┌────── Closet ──────┐   ┌─────────────── Bedroom ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
╚═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╤═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Byarlant
   (PoE)                 │                        ╠═ Narrative (Cable Matters USB-PD 2.5G Ethernet Dongle)
                         │                        ╚═ Jesta Cannon*
                         │ ┌─────────────── Media Center ──────────────────────────────────┐
Notes:                   └─ UniFi Switch 8 ─────────┬─ UniFi Access Point nanoHD (PoE)
═══ is Multi-Gigabit                                ├─ Sony Playstation 4 
─── is Gigabit                                      ├─ Pioneer VSX-S520
* = cable passed to Bedroom from Media Center       ├─ Sony XR65A80K (Google TV)
** = cable passed from Media Center to Bedroom      └─ Work Laptop** (Startech USB-PD Dock)

Retired/Other:

Spoiler

Laptop (Rozen-Zulu): Sony VAIO VPCF13WFX | Core i7-740QM | 8GB Patriot DDR3 | GT 425M | Samsung 850EVO 250GB SSD | Blu-ray Drive | Intel 7260 Wifi (lived a good life, retired with honor)

Testbed/Old Desktop (Kshatriya): Xeon X5470 @ 4.0GHz | ZALMAN CNPS9500 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3L | 8GB Nanya DDR2 400MHz | XFX HD6870 DD | OCZ Vertex 3 Max-IOPS 120GB | Corsair CX430M | HooToo USB 3.0 PCIe Card | Osprey 230 Video Capture | NZXT H230 Case

TrueNAS Server (La Vie en Rose): Xeon E3-1241v3 | Supermicro X10SLL-F | Corsair H60 | 32GB Micron DDR3L ECC 1600MHz | 1x Kingston 16GB SSD / Crucial MX500 500GB

1 minute ago, Slayerking92 said:

buy intel or different ram

I've had this computer for nearly 2 years now so its too late to return everything and switch to intel. And I can just buy other RAM it just doesn't make any sense that they can justify charging nearly double for some of their kits.

1 minute ago, AbydosOne said:

You might need to dial back the memory speed a little though (XMP isn't a guarantee).

I can try that but the memory kit is supposed to run at 3600. Also what is the performance penalty for not running at 3600 since I thought that's the speed where the "RAM and infinity fabric of the CPU are at a 1:2 ratio which means they're running in sync".

6 minutes ago, PenguinMaster said:

I have a Ryzen 7 3700X

First and second gen Ryzen sometimes had such comparability issues. Third gen less so. However, some 3000 series chips have difficulty running at DDR4-3600 speeds because the Infinity Fabric can't handle it, but it sounds like you've been using this kit for a while.

Did you need to overvolt the SOC to run at that speed, or is your CPU running at stock apart from simply enabling XMP?

6 minutes ago, PenguinMaster said:

I can try that but the memory kit is supposed to run at 3600. Also what is the performance penalty for not running at 3600 since I thought that's the speed where the "RAM and infinity fabric of the CPU are at a 1:2 ratio which means they're running in sync".

The Infinity Cache would run at 1800MHz, as DDR, or Double Data Rate, is 2x the speed of the actual stick. Since two sticks are run together, they will be 3600MHz, or 2x1800MHz (1800MHz per stick, I hope my explanation is not too unclear). The IMCs that are in early Ryzen chips, as @YoungBlade pointed out, are most likely unable to handle 3600MHz kits. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

XMP is an Intel specification. Accept JEDEC speeds, or manually OC the memory to rated speed.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

no its not a scam, some memory is optimized for intel, some for amd...

20210704_063231.thumb.jpg.45b9aa75eeda5d8b16191d1e7c20700b.jpg

12 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

XMP is an Intel specification. Accept JEDEC speeds, or manually OC the memory to rated speed.

Right, I think manual settings should work , its mostly xmp that has issues sometimes afaik.

43 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

The IMCs that are in early Ryzen chips, as @YoungBlade pointed out, are most likely unable to handle 3600MHz kits

Meh, I think that's mostly exaggerated,  I have a first gen Ryzen 3600 so not the "better" revision and my "3200" ram works just fine at "3600". 🤔

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

ATX is also an Intel specification, that doesn't mean that AMD motherboards can't use it. MSI implements something called A-XMP that allows their AMD boards, like the B450 Tomahawk, to read XMP data. The issue is not with an inability of the board to recognize the memory profile.

7 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Meh, I think that's mostly exaggerated,  I have a first gen 3600 so not the "better" revision and my "3200" ram works just fine at "3600". 🤔

Sometimes, I feel like it has to do with the kit and how good the modules are, imo. They were just not well known for hitting high frequencies, but it's worth mentioning to point out. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

4 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Sometimes, I feel like it has to do with the kit and how good the modules are, imo. They were just not well known for hitting high frequencies, but it's worth mentioning to point out. 

It definitely does!

I had Vengence... didnt oc at all... rated at 3200 and that was it!

Now I have gskill bdie, overclocks like a champ on the same board 

Spoiler

it also cost twice as much as the Vengence lol

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

It definitely does!

I had Vengence... didnt oc at all... rated at 3200 and that was it!

Now I have gskill bdie, overclocks like a champ on the same board 

Reveal hidden contents

it also cost twice as much as the Vengence lol

Luckily, my Vengeance kits work great with my 5950X and hit the rated speeds. They're SK Hynix chips. 

10 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

ATX is also an Intel specification, that doesn't mean that AMD motherboards can't use it. MSI implements something called A-XMP that allows their AMD boards, like the B450 Tomahawk, to read XMP data. The issue is not with an inability of the board to recognize the memory profile.

Go ahead and compare a hardware specifcation to a timing spec... A-XMP and others try to finess the profile to work with AMD's memory controller, but it doesn't always get it right. Hence why some RAM is tuned more for one CPU or another. Long story short, Intel's spec favors Intel's memory controller.

16 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

I have a first gen Ryzen 3600

Err... you mean a 3rd Gen Ryzen. My Ryzen 7 1700X does not like memory speeds above 3400 MHz.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

4 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Luckily, my Vengeance kits work great with my 5950X and hit the rated speeds. They're SK Hynix chips. 

right my Vengeance didn't have issues with rated speed, they just didn't go higher  - they were also optimized for intel,  i wonder if that had something to do with it...

4 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

you mean a 3rd Gen Ryzen.

No, my bad, i meant first version, a year later they released a revision thats supposedly better. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

F4-3600C19D-16GVRB

This isn't optimized for any body's rigs. Intel or not, C19 man?? Funk all that noise. 

58 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

First and second gen Ryzen sometimes had such comparability issues. Third gen less so. However, some 3000 series chips have difficulty running at DDR4-3600 speeds because the Infinity Fabric can't handle it, but it sounds like you've been using this kit for a while.

Did you need to overvolt the SOC to run at that speed, or is your CPU running at stock apart from simply enabling XMP?

My CPU is stock other than just the XMP profile being enabled.

1 hour ago, YoungBlade said:

If SOC is left to auto when XMP is enabled, it will OV to 1.08v. So, really your answer will be yes, just not user changed though...

5 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

F4-3600C19D-16GVRB

This isn't optimized for any body's rigs. Intel or not, C19 man?? Funk all that noise. 

Gotta go cheaper.  😄

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Gotta go cheaper.  😄

Fine.

120$ lousy Dollars for a set of bad ass B-Die from newegg.

2x8gb 16 total 2 stick. This kit will pretty much OC whatever you want.

Really nice looking kit. Black and white. Straight good performance.

My set is red. 

These will do 14's all day at 1.410v SOC 1.08v is more than plenty.

3600mt/s 16-16-16-36.

Enjoy.

https://www.neweggbusiness.com/product/product.aspx?item=9b-20-232-437&tpk=9b-20-232-437

5 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

, it will OV to 1.08v.

Oh that's interesting,  I just checked, my SOC is at 1.075-1.081v, so I guess it also does this for manual OC, cause I didn't touch the SOC. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

So is my best bet just to sell these memory kits and to get an "AMD-certified" kit?  Should I go 3600 or 3200? I honestly just want the system to run stable so I wouldn't want to mess with manual OC settings since I basically know nothing about OC'ing. 

Just now, Mark Kaine said:

Oh that's interesting,  I just checked, my SOC is at 1.075-1.081v, so I guess it also does this for manual OC, cause I didn't touch the SOC. 

Depends on the bios and who wrote it. 

And with my Asus board (B450-I ROG gaming) the performance enhancer overclock section was written by "TheStilt" and does a superb job with auto OC. Very stable. Since he's from the overclocker community, he's good to have over at Asus. He knows how to tweak processors down to the T.