Memory is "Intel Only"?

Go to solution Solved by PenguinMaster,
7 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

That's 32GB = +$$ and of course RGB = +$$ and then that better quality die.... and they know it.... = +$$..

And why I run only 16gb. Haven't had the memory warning on the HTPC which the kids uses the F out of. He doesn't stream, but gaming and chat + AI (likes to play BeamNGDrive a lot haha). Haven't maxed 16gb yet. So if your only gaming, save your coin and just get 16gb... unless you're a streamer junky (or other compute), then I understand. 

I think I might just get the 16GB because even though my use case is gaming / 3D modeling I think I can get away with 16GB plus I honestly don't think its worth so much extra to me

This is the set I'm set on: CMW16GX4M2Z3600C14

The price is pretty good at $136.99

So hopefully after selling my old memory it should be almost even for pricing. I know the capacity is half now but I'm honestly just happy that the computer will finally work without blue screening.

2 minutes ago, PenguinMaster said:

So is my best bet just to sell these memory kits and to get an "AMD-certified" kit?  Should I go 3600 or 3200?

You go for the kit I linked above. Scroll up bud! (first page)

4 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

120$ lousy Dollars for a set of bad ass B-Die

Mine were 150 euros... cheapest bdie were like 130, so yeah I agree... i see this as the corsair (for example) just being the budget version (they go for like 70 euros iirc) they will work,  just not great, but can make sense for a budget build. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Just now, Mark Kaine said:

Mine were 150 euros... cheapest bdie were like 130, so yeah I agree... i see this as the corsair *for example) just being the budget version (they go for like 70 euros iirc) they will work,  just not great, but can make sense for a budget build. 

I have a thread in the Test post section with a 70$ kit of PNY I plan to share OC with all you guys. I have done ZERO overclock yet, still testing it's XMP of 2667mt/s, all is good so far. When I go to OC this, I'll have the thread moved to this section. Hoping to help guys with lower end REAL CHEAP kits haha. Should be interesting. Bummer is I do not at this time have an AMD rig set up on the bench to also test with, which is in the plans...

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

You go for the kit I linked above. Scroll up bud! (first page)

Do you know of any Corsair RGB sets that work well? I know this is kind of dumb but I have a Corsair 220T AirFlow case and if I'm going to buy a new set of RAM I'd rather just have all the RGB sync together rather than using multiple different programs to control it.

If you need me to follow up on something, please quote or tag me.

Do you know of any Corsair RGB sets that work well? I know this is kind of dumb but I have a Corsair 220T AirFlow case and if I'm going to buy a new set of RAM I'd rather just have all the RGB sync together rather than using multiple different programs to control it.

10 bucks more for B-Die RGB. https://www.neweggbusiness.com/product/product.aspx?item=9b-20-232-491&tpk=9b-20-232-491

Give me a minute, I can look up Corsair and see what they have.

@ShrimpBrime

This is what I found on PCPartPicker for the Corsair RAM sets. They only have 1 set of RAM that has a latency of less than 18??

Cmemory.jpg

3 minutes ago, PenguinMaster said:

@ShrimpBrime

This is what I found on PCPartPicker for the Corsair RAM sets. They only have 1 set of RAM that has a latency of less than 18??

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/nLMwrH/corsair-dominator-platinum-rgb-16-gb-2-x-8-gb-ddr4-3600-memory-cmt16gx4m2k3600c16

EDIT: I should explain the only kit under C18 is the only kit that is probably a B-Die kit. The link above there.

3 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Corsair RGB B-Die Kit, with odd ball timings is 215$

I did confirm the part number.

CMT16GX4M2K3600C16

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/0RN-00P8-000Z5?Description=CMT16GX4M2K3600C16&cm_re=CMT16GX4M2K3600C16-_-9SIAG7RG072716-_-Product

Lol I found the same! The site says 189$ at corsair (idk about shipping)

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/nLMwrH/corsair-dominator-platinum-rgb-16-gb-2-x-8-gb-ddr4-3600-memory-cmt16gx4m2k3600c16

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

6 minutes ago, PenguinMaster said:

Check this site

https://benzhaomin.github.io/bdiefinder/

They have all b-dies listed , and yeah its worth ~10 bucks more...

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I dropped the total capacity down to 16GB but that would mean I would need to buy 2 kits again which G.Skill support advised me not to do.

Cmemory2.jpg

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

Lol I found the same! The site says 189$ at corsair (idk about shipping)

Funk that too. 

I'd just go for the 130$ G.Skill RGB kit and be done with it. Corsair doesn't have a lot of B-Die memory kits and seem to charge the largest premium for them.

Just now, PenguinMaster said:

I dropped the total capacity down to 16GB but that would mean I would need to buy 2 kits again which G.Skill support advised me not to do.

OH! 

I didn't know you was looking for 32gb..... 

But no, 2 B-Die kits will work fine together. 

You have to remember that user intervention may be needed to exceed 3200mt/s with 32GB of memory installed. It may not be a plug and play deal hit XMP/DOCP and go. Some systems need a wee bit of memory training....

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

OH! 

I didn't know you was looking for 32gb..... 

But no, 2 B-Die kits will work fine together. 

You have to remember that user intervention may be needed to exceed 3200mt/s with 32GB of memory installed. It may not be a plug and play deal hit XMP/DOCP and go. Some systems need a wee bit of memory training....

Thanks for the B-Die website it was really helpful! I found this set: CMW32GX4M2Z3600C14 

Does it look ok?

memory training....

The best part! *boot loops...*  

No really I had fun with it, also cause you helped me... in the end I had to put voltage from 1.35 to 1.36... 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Thanks for the B-Die website it was really helpful! I found this set: CMW32GX4M2Z3600C14 

Does it look ok?

239 bucks. 

That's a fast kit. Looks great. I'd rock that.

Just now, Mark Kaine said:

The best part! *boot loops...*  

No really I had fun with it, also cause you helped me... in the end I had to put voltage from 1.35 to 1.36... 

It's tough man. Every one has a different system.

Overclocking is not all that easy. There's a lot to it.

I mean to run High end system, the board will be 2 slots. Asus Apex in particular would be the go to board for competitive benchmarking and bragging rights. It's designed for all this high end horse power and overclocking.

So for that thread, I'm using low end memory with pretty decent components. A guy with a 1600X and X370 probably won't have a similar experience. So I've been debating if I should get too deep. Or just throw it up there and just see what happens.

239 bucks

Yea that's what I thought when I saw it. Kind of expensive... maybe wait until Black Friday / Cyber Monday? If not when I sell the kits I have now for about $75ea, the total damage is about $100 which isn't terrible. Definitely not great though.

4 minutes ago, PenguinMaster said:

Does it look ok?

Yeap looks good

39711216_Screenshot_20211022-020349_SamsungInternetBeta.jpg.a6c23c989e6f4b593c0518021623d552.jpg

Its also not too expensive for 32gig

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Yea that's what I thought when I saw it. Kind of expensive... maybe wait until Black Friday / Cyber Monday? If not when I sell the kits I have now for about $75ea, the total damage is about $100 which isn't terrible. Definitely not great though.

That's 32GB = +$$ and of course RGB = +$$ and then that better quality die.... and they know it.... = +$$..

And why I run only 16gb. Haven't had the memory warning on the HTPC which the kids uses the F out of. He doesn't stream, but gaming and chat + AI (likes to play BeamNGDrive a lot haha). Haven't maxed 16gb yet. So if your only gaming, save your coin and just get 16gb... unless you're a streamer junky (or other compute), then I understand. 

4 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

It's tough man. Every one has a different system.

Overclocking is not all that easy. There's a lot to it.

Yeah, for me it wasn't easy cause I tried a lot with my old corsair and it never worked, I don't even want to blame the ram, I think i didn't change the voltage enough,  plus my bios was all kinds of messed up, I had actually whea errors, which turned out to be bios related.

But yeah it depends,  when i oc my old 1050ti I looked up a tutorial and copied everything 1:1 and it worked! I mean that's how you learn,  you need someone tell you some stuff, next time it'll be easier... 

8 minutes ago, PenguinMaster said:

Kind of expensive...

Its really ok considering they want 200 bucks for the Dominator, which is 16gb and slower. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

7 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I think I might just get the 16GB because even though my use case is gaming / 3D modeling I think I can get away with 16GB plus I honestly don't think its worth so much extra to me

So hopefully after selling my old memory it should be almost even for pricing. I know the capacity is half now but I'm honestly just happy that the computer will finally work without blue screening.

Yeah, there you go. That makes me even feel better lol. 

3 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Yeah, for me it wasn't easy cause I tried a lot with my old corsair and it never worked, I don't even want to blame the ram, I think i didn't change the voltage enough,  plus my bios was all kinds of messed up, I had actually whea errors, which turned out to be bios related.

But yeah it depends,  when i oc my old 1050ti I looked up a tutorial and copied everything 1:1 and it worked! I mean that's how you learn,  you need someone tell you some stuff, next time it'll be easier... 

Oh I could list you general OC expected settings for quite a few generations of processors. You might get more... you might get less. 

But you're right. Gotta change some settings. Go up, go down. Ask questions. Read tons of forum threads. (sometimes videos don't describe in as much detail imo).

As time goes by for the younger guys (no idea any of your ages obviously, but I'm an older gentleman), You'll build up hardware. The old stuff starts getting cheaper. Then you see threads.... "what do I do with this old hardware". Well for me... got into competitive benchmarking. Got on a team. Met a bunch of VERY talented and educated people. 

Mr.Scott and Bones are my Socket A go to guys. They don't know it, then I'm F'ed. Mac'sBeach is the hard modification guy. If I want to know ANYTHING Intel related, 80% of the rest of the team members know their shit. I'm in with guys that started competitive OC such as George K.. I should list the ENTIRE team, because all those guys made me. And I'm nothing compared to all of them or even individually. Most of them are 10-20+ years older than me. Aleslamer and Sparkey247 used to go back and forth taking golds from each other. Sparkey is a local friend of mine actually. 

But old school OC is pretty much dead. 

From the operating systems to Hardware that comes from the box pre-maxed out. There is no more 50-100%++ overclocks to be had anymore. I mean, OC is just almost straight boring on current platforms. F trying to figure out the Infinity Fabric. It won't do it. Why bother. That's how people blow up systems. Try until it dies lol. But that stacks up experience. I've killed 250$ processors fresh from the box doing a de-lid (only once actually) it's not a good feeling. Or smoke a 600$ mainboard.....

Sry for the ramble....

@ShrimpBrime @Mark Kaine

Is it wise to buy the memory now at $136.99 when normal MSRP is $158.99 or is it better to wait until Cyber Monday to see if it gets discounted?