Gaming in 2021

Bowserman

Am I the only one who thinks that there hasn't really been any good game releases in the last few years? I feel like most new games haven't been that innovative lately. I've found myself playing older games that came out a few years ago rather than newer releases.

I think it just comes down to the fact that you can group all past games together but you tend to look at recent games year-by-year. I only started really playing video games in 2009 but between then and now I've played a lot of older titles, and usually got into 2 games from each year pretty consistently. 

So yeah, if you look at all past games compared to 'current' games, of course you'll find more innovative titles - there are just more titles overall. Go year by year and you'll see something different. At least I did idk. 

And even if you're as fussy as me, the last 4 years have seen Jedi Fallen Order, Kena Bridge of Spirits, Horizon Zero Dawn, Breath of the Wild, Sea of Thieves... And countless others I haven't played

Dunno where you've been but we've gotten plenty of great games the past few years

Doom Eternal, Half Life Alyx, Resident Evil 8, Hades, Cyberpunk, Deathloop...

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

The newest game that I play is Bro Falls. Other than that it's DBD, Siege, Pub g, BF4, FO3/NV. I haven't been excited to play anything new. Tried the BF2042 beta and that was trash, apex has awful server issues and the ranked play is a fucking grind fest. Warzone is full of cheaters still, New World is a grind fest.

It sucks because I have a total overkill pc for the games I play. Bought a 200hz ultrawide monitor looking forward to BF2042 for basically nothing. Oh well eventually something will come along, hopefully sooner than later

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

16 hours ago, Bowserman said:

Am I the only one who thinks that there hasn't really been any good game releases in the last few years?

Depends entirely on what you've been playing. 

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

18 hours ago, Bowserman said:

Am I the only one who thinks that there hasn't really been any good game releases in the last few years?

Depends on how much a few years are in your eyes. Generally it is true that there really hasn't been anything truly new and innovative especially from AAA studios.

There were some good AAA games over the last 5 years imo: AssassinsCreed Odyssey, RDR2, Forza, COD MW, Hitman to name a few I played.

(Yes there are a few more like Resident Evil, DOOM,... but those really aren't my style of games )

Cyberpunk was supposed to be the one but we all know how that turned out 💩

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: Samsung Odyssey G7A (28" 4K 144Hz)

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

22 hours ago, Slottr said:

Dunno where you've been but we've gotten plenty of great games the past few years

Doom Eternal, Half Life Alyx, Resident Evil 8, Hades, Cyberpunk, Deathloop...

I agree with this [except cyberpunk lol]. Most games genre's that I'm personally invested in hasn't really seen much movement. Most of the mainstream covered stuff that I've seen feels very samey imo.

I'd like to give my vote for The Ascent, it came out of nowhere and is one of the most fun games I've played.

On 10/22/2021 at 2:56 AM, soundlogic said:

I think it just comes down to the fact that you can group all past games together but you tend to look at recent games year-by-year.

This, pretty much. It's not like every single year until a certain point in the past was an absolute masterpiece that pushed the industry forward anyway.

And even if it did, gaming industry as we know it today is, historically speaking, a very new field, meaning that there surely has to be a rush of new and wonderful and mind-blowing titles coming out almost one after another, but in the end, it comes down to the fact that games like Half-Life, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Warcraft, Deus Ex and lots of other old-timers were in a fresh field, a niche, even. Gradually games got more and more popular, more abundant, and it simply became more familiar, less novel and stretched itself across a larger period of time.

Money plays a role as gaming became way bigger of a business than it ever was, which lead to some companies making money in ways they probably couldn't pull off before, such as lootboxes, chopping a game into several less-than-worthwhile DLCs to sell you later, or simply using the improved technology and software to get their games done faster, with less effort, and still sell that under the guise of a new entry to the series.

Games are still great as whole. But some greater games can only come out once, kinda putting a shade on things to follow. That's what DOOM Eternal did to me in terms of fast-paced single-player FPS - it's not like I can't play other FPS games anymore or enjoy them, but I know that I will compare upcoming titles to DOOM Eternal because its combat was just that good for me and I want to see more titles following its formulas.