School Project

ham-is-matter

Hi Linus Tech Tips forum

Currently at school we are doing a project called the Follow Your Own Interest Project or FYOI. For my project I have chosen to research PC's and in particular what components make the best PC for different disciplines. So I was wondering if I could get one of your opinions on the best components for the following disciplines.

·         Gaming

·         Work/ everyday

·         Programming/ rendering

And, if you could also give your opinion on the overall best company.

Thanks very much

35 minutes ago, ham-is-matter said:

Hi Linus Tech Tips forum

Currently at school we are doing a project called the Follow Your Own Interest Project or FYOI. For my project I have chosen to research PC's and in particular what components make the best PC for different disciplines. So I was wondering if I could get one of your opinions on the best components for the following disciplines.

·         Gaming

·         Work/ everyday

Thanks very much

Since PC gaming has become pretty mainstream, most devs make their games pretty optomized for mid spec hardware. Think a 1060 or 2060 for 1080p. It pretty much just scales by resolution. For everyday computing, you likely don't need much. You could go with an older i5 or Athlon CPU and it'd work great for general browsing and such. As long as it's an APU, it'll do fine. For programming, you really just need to focus on your CPU, RAM, and SSD if you're just compiling. GPU power only comes into the picture if you need to do stuff like AI training or you're working on something that's designed to take advantage of a powerful GPU.

Quote or mention me or I won't be notified of your reply!

Main Rig: R7 3700x New!, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB, ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming New!, Corsair RGB 2x16GB 3200MHz New!, 512GB Crucial P5, 120GB Samsung SSD, 1TB Segate SSHD, 2TB Barracuda HDD

MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Max, 32GB RAM)

Links: My beautiful sketchy case | My website

38 minutes ago, ham-is-matter said:

Hi Linus Tech Tips forum

·         Gaming

·         Work/ everyday

Thanks very much

iam a student too !!

i can understand it here it is

Gaming (Mid-Tier Level)

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x

GPU: Rx6600xt/RTX 3060

Mother Board: MSI B550 M-PRO

RAM: ADATA XPG Spectrix Longdimm 2*8GB (3600mhz) (it is cheap in my country.)

Storage: WD SN-850 (1 TB) 

Case: Lian-Li Lancool Mesh 2

PSU: Corsair RM 750

Gaming(High End)

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x

GPU: Rx6800xt/RTX 3080

RAM: Corsair Vengence RGB RAM 2*16GB (3600mhz)

Storage: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 (8TB)

Mother board: MSI MAG B550 Gaming Edge Wifi

Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow

PSU: Corsair RM 850

Gaming(Maxed Out)

CPU: Ryzen 9 5950x

GPU: Rx6900xt(x2 with sli)/RTX 3090(x2 with sli)

RAM: The same as before

PSU: Seasonic 1000watt power supply (not sure what is the name)

Mother Board: ROG CROSSHAIR VIII

Storage: 3x Sabrent Rocket 4.0 (8TB)

Work/Everyday

CPU: Celeron/Athlon/Pentium/Ryzen 3/Core i3

GPU: iGPU

RAM: 2*4GB RAM 2400mhz

Storage: 500GB SATA SSD

Case: NZXT H210

Motherboard: Depends On CPU

PSU: 500watt PSU

I hope it is helpful

I am not a workstation guys so i don't know that

Pls Mark a solution as a solution, would be really helpful.

BTW pls correct me, iam really stoobid at times.

2 hours ago, ham-is-matter said:

Hi Linus Tech Tips forum

·         Gaming

·         Work/ everyday

Thanks very much

A lot to unpack here, so I'm trying to help. The best components are just a snapshot of the current market. There is no overall best company right now, and there probably never will be. Thats because everything is specialized and the best CPU manufacturer probably wont make the best RAM or Motherboard. With that in mind, here's a no budget and then some budget list of the best gaming components:

Gaming no budget:

CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X 16 Core, up to 4,9 GHz

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB (2x8GB) 5100MHz (Only 16GB cause it's so crazy fast)

Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VIII Formula

GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080Ti with Watercooling - yes there's the 3090 but the 3080ti is easier to cool and can therefore boost higher (at least most of the times)

SSD: WD Black SN850 or Samsung 980 Pro, both the fastest drives available. For Bulk storage you can get the Sabrent Rocket 8TB NVMe.

PSU and Case are personal choices, but probably a PSU over 1000w and a good airflow case or a case designed for watercooling.

Gaming some budget:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X 8 Core, 4,7GHz

RAM: G.Skill or Crucial or Corsair Kits with 3600MHz, 16GB is enough but most people get 32GB.

Motherboard: Either some Asus/MSI/Gigabyte/ASRock board with the B550 chipset and over 110$ should do the job.

GPU: Probably the Nvidia RTX 3060Ti, AMD RX 6700XT or Nvidia RTX 3070

SSD: Some good Gen3 drive like the WD Black SN750, Samsung 970 Evo Plus, Crucial P5, Corsair MP510 or or or...

PSU and Case are also personal choices, but a PSU with/over 750w is recommended and a decentairflow case.

Work/ Everyday:

Thats an easy one, as most applications for work and everday tasks run in a browser or use server computing power, thats why a good 4 core or 6 core CPU will be enough, like the Ryzen 5 5600G or the Intel I5 11400. 16GB of Ram should be enough, a 500GB SATA SSD is enough and the IGPU of the processor is also sufficient for just displaying stuff. You can basically use almost any motherboard and also almost any PSU and Case, as all of the components probably wont have to work at limit.

Programming/ Rendering:

So for Programming you really don't need to much, but for rendering you do. Thats why this will be spezialized for Rendering.

CPU: AMD Threadripper 3990X 64 Core, up to 4,3 GHz

RAM: G.Skill or Crucial or Corsair kits with up to 256GB of RAM.

Motherboard: Some top of the line TRX40 board, from MSI, ASRock, Gigabyte or Asus.

GPU: Probably 2 NVidia 3090's in SLI, one should be enough though.

SSD: There are SATA SSD's with 16TB of Storage, that seems like a good fit. But that depends on the needs, some usecases need high capacity, some need high speed, you focus on either one.

PSU and Case are spezialized, so a 1000w + PSU is necessary and I think 1500w is recommended for one 3090 and the 3990X, so very power hungry. And with cases, you need big cases that have good cooling capabilites and enough room for all the components.

In conclusion: A PC can be very specialized, thats why it's a difficult task to do a "best-of-list" for. And also, in these fantasy lists, there is no budget. That is a real problem, as budget will limit or rather shape the PC the most. If you have no budget, you take the most expensive stuff with maybe unnecessary features, but if you can'*t get over a certain price, then you'll make decisions that'll heavily effect the performance of the PC. As for best company, even though AMD stands on top of some lists here (their GPU's are also competing with NVidia for top of the class), it is far from the best company. There is no such thing as a best company, as competition shapes and advances the market to new heights, recently seen in the uprise of AMD in 2017 with Ryzen and the slow development in the time before when Intel was basically a monopoly. Since AMD came along, there are now 8 Core, 12 Core and 16 Core consumer CPU's, as when Intel was ahead and no competition to be had, the development stagnated with mainly 4 core CPU's. Just as an example, why the thought of "best company" especially in the computing industry isn't a very sensible one.

3 hours ago, KKLawrence said:

A lot to unpack here, so I'm trying to help. The best components are just a snapshot of the current market. There is no overall best company right now, and there probably never will be. Thats because everything is specialized and the best CPU manufacturer probably wont make the best RAM or Motherboard. With that in mind, here's a no budget and then some budget list of the best gaming components:

Gaming no budget:

CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X 16 Core, up to 4,9 GHz

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB (2x8GB) 5100MHz (Only 16GB cause it's so crazy fast)

Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VIII Formula

GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080Ti with Watercooling - yes there's the 3090 but the 3080ti is easier to cool and can therefore boost higher (at least most of the times)

SSD: WD Black SN850 or Samsung 980 Pro, both the fastest drives available. For Bulk storage you can get the Sabrent Rocket 8TB NVMe.

PSU and Case are personal choices, but probably a PSU over 1000w and a good airflow case or a case designed for watercooling.

Gaming some budget:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X 8 Core, 4,7GHz

RAM: G.Skill or Crucial or Corsair Kits with 3600MHz, 16GB is enough but most people get 32GB.

Motherboard: Either some Asus/MSI/Gigabyte/ASRock board with the B550 chipset and over 110$ should do the job.

GPU: Probably the Nvidia RTX 3060Ti, AMD RX 6700XT or Nvidia RTX 3070

SSD: Some good Gen3 drive like the WD Black SN750, Samsung 970 Evo Plus, Crucial P5, Corsair MP510 or or or...

PSU and Case are also personal choices, but a PSU with/over 750w is recommended and a decentairflow case.

Work/ Everyday:

Thats an easy one, as most applications for work and everday tasks run in a browser or use server computing power, thats why a good 4 core or 6 core CPU will be enough, like the Ryzen 5 5600G or the Intel I5 11400. 16GB of Ram should be enough, a 500GB SATA SSD is enough and the IGPU of the processor is also sufficient for just displaying stuff. You can basically use almost any motherboard and also almost any PSU and Case, as all of the components probably wont have to work at limit.

Programming/ Rendering:

So for Programming you really don't need to much, but for rendering you do. Thats why this will be spezialized for Rendering.

CPU: AMD Threadripper 3990X 64 Core, up to 4,3 GHz

RAM: G.Skill or Crucial or Corsair kits with up to 256GB of RAM.

Motherboard: Some top of the line TRX40 board, from MSI, ASRock, Gigabyte or Asus.

GPU: Probably 2 NVidia 3090's in SLI, one should be enough though.

SSD: There are SATA SSD's with 16TB of Storage, that seems like a good fit. But that depends on the needs, some usecases need high capacity, some need high speed, you focus on either one.

PSU and Case are spezialized, so a 1000w + PSU is necessary and I think 1500w is recommended for one 3090 and the 3990X, so very power hungry. And with cases, you need big cases that have good cooling capabilites and enough room for all the components.

In conclusion: A PC can be very specialized, thats why it's a difficult task to do a "best-of-list" for. And also, in these fantasy lists, there is no budget. That is a real problem, as budget will limit or rather shape the PC the most. If you have no budget, you take the most expensive stuff with maybe unnecessary features, but if you can'*t get over a certain price, then you'll make decisions that'll heavily effect the performance of the PC. As for best company, even though AMD stands on top of some lists here (their GPU's are also competing with NVidia for top of the class), it is far from the best company. There is no such thing as a best company, as competition shapes and advances the market to new heights, recently seen in the uprise of AMD in 2017 with Ryzen and the slow development in the time before when Intel was basically a monopoly. Since AMD came along, there are now 8 Core, 12 Core and 16 Core consumer CPU's, as when Intel was ahead and no competition to be had, the development stagnated with mainly 4 core CPU's. Just as an example, why the thought of "best company" especially in the computing industry isn't a very sensible one.

Thank you so much this has helped me out so much

5 hours ago, my name is guru iam tech said:

iam a student too !!

i can understand it here it is

Gaming (Mid-Tier Level)

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x

GPU: Rx6600xt/RTX 3060

Mother Board: MSI B550 M-PRO

RAM: ADATA XPG Spectrix Longdimm 2*8GB (3600mhz) (it is cheap in my country.)

Storage: WD SN-850 (1 TB) 

Case: Lian-Li Lancool Mesh 2

PSU: Corsair RM 750

Gaming(High End)

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x

GPU: Rx6800xt/RTX 3080

RAM: Corsair Vengence RGB RAM 2*16GB (3600mhz)

Storage: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 (8TB)

Mother board: MSI MAG B550 Gaming Edge Wifi

PSU: Corsair RM 850

Gaming(Maxed Out)

CPU: Ryzen 9 5950x

GPU: Rx6900xt(x2 with sli)/RTX 3090(x2 with sli)

RAM: The same as before

PSU: Seasonic 1000watt power supply (not sure what is the name)

Mother Board: ROG CROSSHAIR VIII

Storage: 3x Sabrent Rocket 4.0 (8TB)

Work/Everyday

CPU: Celeron/Athlon/Pentium/Ryzen 3/Core i3

GPU: iGPU

RAM: 2*4GB RAM 2400mhz

Storage: 500GB SATA SSD

Case: NZXT H210

Motherboard: Depends On CPU

PSU: 500watt PSU

I hope it is helpful

I am not a workstation guys so i don't know that

Thank you guys so much this helps heaps

5 hours ago, ImAlsoRan said:

Since PC gaming has become pretty mainstream, most devs make their games pretty optomized for mid spec hardware. Think a 1060 or 2060 for 1080p. It pretty much just scales by resolution. For everyday computing, you likely don't need much. You could go with an older i5 or Athlon CPU and it'd work great for general browsing and such. As long as it's an APU, it'll do fine. For programming, you really just need to focus on your CPU, RAM, and SSD if you're just compiling. GPU power only comes into the picture if you need to do stuff like AI training or you're working on something that's designed to take advantage of a powerful GPU.

Thank you heaps