Bizarre internet issues using a phone as a hotspot.

kaylexmorgana

Before anyone says "use real internet", i can't. I moved to some third world red state and have no internet so i have to use my phone hot spot.

Here are the issues:

1.EVERY single day the hotspot(phone still works) dc at around 7-8PM. No other time. I did try this with a different phone as well and same issue. If i turn it off and back on close to that time it will not dc during then.

2. I have to use an enthernet cable from my ps5 into my pc which is the only way to get internet for it. However whenever i do this i keep having internet issues of just randomly not working. Sometimes i just turn "Sharing" off and back on and it works. then sometimes i turn IPv6 on or off(depending what it is at at the time) it will just start working again.

CPU: i9 19300k////GPU: RTX 4090////RAM: 64gb DDR5 5600mhz ////MOBO: Aorus z790 Elite////MONITORS: 3 LG 38" 3840x1600 WIDESCREEN MONITORS

41 minutes ago, kaylexmorgana said:

Here are the issues:

1.EVERY single day the hotspot(phone still works) dc at around 7-8PM. No other time. I did try this with a different phone as well and same issue. If i turn it off and back on close to that time it will not dc during then.

my home router does that on fridays at 11 pm. im not sure if thats related but it does that for some reason

Sounds like hotspot IP lease time expires, meaning devices get new local IP address every 24 hours. You can try setting static IP for the PC in network adapter settings.

22 minutes ago, RageTester said:

Sounds like hotspot IP lease time expires, meaning devices get new local IP address every 24 hours. You can try setting static IP for the PC in network adapter settings.

Hmm I'll do that when I wake up later.

Oh if it means anything, I used defaultcurhoplimit=65 in cmd to bypass the hotspot limit but I think it was the same without it.

Even when I connected my phone directly to my pc with USB for internet, I still had internet issues. 

CPU: i9 19300k////GPU: RTX 4090////RAM: 64gb DDR5 5600mhz ////MOBO: Aorus z790 Elite////MONITORS: 3 LG 38" 3840x1600 WIDESCREEN MONITORS

58 minutes ago, kaylexmorgana said:

Hmm I'll do that when I wake up later.

Oh if it means anything, I used defaultcurhoplimit=65 in cmd to bypass the hotspot limit but I think it was the same without it.

Even when I connected my phone directly to my pc with USB for internet, I still had internet issues. 

Honestly I think this sort of thing is to be expected with cell phone networks.

I was using Vodafone until recently in a proper 4G Router and I noticed my VPN would drop every single day and fail to reconnect (was running on a different device not the router itself).   The VPNs I had running over DSL and a different cell network almost always would reconnect fine and would not drop every day, maybe every week or so.

When I tried using phone tethering a while ago it was a lot worse, phones just aren't designed to be tethered for long periods.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Yep most likely something on the provider side they are doing and there isn't anything you can do about...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

8 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Yep most likely something on the provider side they are doing and there isn't anything you can do about...

8 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Honestly I think this sort of thing is to be expected with cell phone networks.

I was using Vodafone until recently in a proper 4G Router and I noticed my VPN would drop every single day and fail to reconnect (was running on a different device not the router itself).   The VPNs I had running over DSL and a different cell network almost always would reconnect fine and would not drop every day, maybe every week or so.

When I tried using phone tethering a while ago it was a lot worse, phones just aren't designed to be tethered for long periods.

That is what I was thinking. 

Just gotta hope the starlink satellite comes soon...