Laptop shuts off/ Freezes on plugging in

Nervous Potato

I have a Lenovo Legion Y530 and I’ve had this problem for months where when the laptops plugged in it’ll go off either immediately or in a few minutes/hours (it’s random). The laptop works fine on battery

Key points:

• After it shuts off, I cannot turn the laptop on again while it’s on power. Need to turn it on , on battery.
  • I usually connect it to an external monitor so when this incident occurs my laptop screen goes blank but my external remains on but it’s frozen. (Backlight of laptop screen remains on)
  •  A slight work around is to drain the battery for a while and then plug it in but even then it’s not a given that it’ll work after that
  • Fans and hard drive remain on when it does this.

I’ve included a video showing the issue (without anything plugged in. Just the adapter)

Things I’ve already tried:

Reinstalling all Graphics drivers

Trying different plug points (in different houses too!)

Reinstalling Windows

Thanks for any help in advance!

I can see numlock staying on, are you sure its not just turning of the screen?

Can you check your advanced power settings?
Maybe try FN+the right key for screen wake up?
Do you have any remote desktop software like teamviewer installed?

Also are you using the right charger?

Also do not use a notebook charger like that.
First connect the mains side only THEN connect the notebook side.
If the charger is broken you will kill your notebook immediately, and if its not the inrush into the charger may lead to unexpected results in the end.

And it very much looks as if your monitor is just being turned off.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

What do u mean by adapter in the last sentence? Also does this still happen when literally everything is unplugged?

What I want you to try is to use the windows store version of Spotify, play a song, plug in headphones, put on headphones, and then lock the computer. If the audio remains playing then you can continue to the next step. From here, log back into the computer and then plug in the power cord. Reply with what happened? I want to make sure that it isn't just shutting off the display input stream (power to the screen is still on hence the backlight).

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+120 core, +320 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 1TB Team MP33, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Gold. Razer peripherals. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (≈ a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600, Crucial MX500

My past and current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to Zen+ R5: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

1 hour ago, Nathanpete said:

What do u mean by adapter in the last sentence? Also does this still happen when literally everything is unplugged?

What I want you to try is to use the windows store version of Spotify, play a song, plug in headphones, put on headphones, and then lock the computer. If the audio remains playing then you can continue to the next step. From here, log back into the computer and then plug in the power cord. Reply with what happened? I want to make sure that it isn't just shutting off the display input stream (power to the screen is still on hence the backlight).

When I mean adapter I mean the power supply of the laptop. 

also I tried what you mentioned. Locked the laptop with win + L. Music continued.

I used the windows version of iTunes. My net was slow and couldn’t download spotify

anyways I’m very sure it not just the screen going off because like I mentioned : I have both my laptop screen and external monitor on. So when I’m gaming I usually have my laptop stats on the laptop monitor and gaming on the external.

When this issue occurs (sometimes it manifests after a while when gaming). My laptop screen goes off and my external monitor freezes. All audio stops (game and discord).

At this point I usually power the laptop down (holding the power button) and then try to power it back on. It does not even show a boot logo.

After this point I have to power it down again, unplug the power from the laptop and then boot it on battery power.

Even at this point if I connect the power back it’s gamble if the problem doesn’t occur. 90% of the time the problem occurs either immediately or after a few minutes

2 hours ago, HanZie82 said:

I can see numlock staying on, are you sure its not just turning of the screen?

Can you check your advanced power settings?
Maybe try FN+the right key for screen wake up?
Do you have any remote desktop software like teamviewer installed?

Also are you using the right charger?

Also do not use a notebook charger like that.
First connect the mains side only THEN connect the notebook side.
If the charger is broken you will kill your notebook immediately, and if its not the inrush into the charger may lead to unexpected results in the end.

And it very much looks as if your monitor is just being turned off.

I do not have team viewer installed. Only OBS. I’m very sure it’s not just the screen going off because my external monitor as well freezes at this point. When I’m gaming all audio stops as well.

1 hour ago, Nervous Potato said:

I do not have team viewer installed. Only OBS. I’m very sure it’s not just the screen going off because my external monitor as well freezes at this point. When I’m gaming all audio stops as well.

We had to make sure. As both are very different situations that require different means to solve. 😉

Are you able to measure temps? You said to have stats on secondary monitor (even tho notebook screen).
Does it get to hot maybe?

Are you able to test another adapter? Make sure the voltage is the same!
It might be the adapter is a bit old and cannot deliver the umpf the notebook needs and thus shuts off (in overcurrent protection)?

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

2 hours ago, HanZie82 said:

We had to make sure. As both are very different situations that require different means to solve. 😉

Are you able to measure temps? You said to have stats on secondary monitor (even tho notebook screen).
Does it get to hot maybe?

Are you able to test another adapter? Make sure the voltage is the same!
It might be the adapter is a bit old and cannot deliver the umpf the notebook needs and thus shuts off (in overcurrent protection)?

Umm temps have been odd. They used to be 95 degs C on the CPU and 70-75 C on the GPU (problem used still occur) but now I’m noticing the GPU go higher to 90 degs C as well.

Im unable to get my hands on another adapter. I’ll have to buy a new one which is a little expensive for me to buy right now.

• 2 months later...

Man i have EXACTLY the same issue here in my y530. The screen goes black when plugged in, but is absolutely Random, sometimes happens instantly and sometimes after few minutes. I noticed that keyboard lights and fans keep working, but the system completely freezes, as i can see by an external monitor. I was able to use it for 10 months without having any trouble, but in the last 2 months it started to happen again. I bought another AC adapter and unfortunately didnt work! I think it can be a “mechaninc/ electronic” problem on the motherboard, cause it happens also when in bios window. I tried to remove battery, RAM memory, HD, and couldnt fix it. Did you manage to find the solution? Mine started just 1 month past after warranty time was over, so i couldnt sent it back to lenovo, and i dont trust anyone here in my city to handle it, because most of them dont have knowledge to work in the motherboard or they are just scams.

• 2 months later...

Did anyone managed to get this issue solved?
this is quite weird, I have the same problem, but I could notice that the OS freezes and then the whole laptop turn off, I can only charge it while it is off and it charged really slow, I mean like 8 hours to get like 70% of charge, I've tried with another battery and charger and it did not worked,  I guess this is an issue with the motherboard and the charging circuits,

I tried different versions of Windows and linux, updated the firmware and driver, nothing worked for me :(

• 1 month later...

Me here have exactly same issues...

i've tried changing my RAM before. not worked.

even im typing this with unplugged charge. One of the possibilities might be on the mainboard(?)

i start to manage searching the new laptop like legion 5 instead of changing mainboard. 

On 1/3/2022 at 6:31 PM, Giggsrg said:

Man i have EXACTLY the same issue here in my y530. The screen goes black when plugged in, but is absolutely Random, sometimes happens instantly and sometimes after few minutes. I noticed that keyboard lights and fans keep working, but the system completely freezes, as i can see by an external monitor. I was able to use it for 10 months without having any trouble, but in the last 2 months it started to happen again. I bought another AC adapter and unfortunately didnt work! I think it can be a “mechaninc/ electronic” problem on the motherboard, cause it happens also when in bios window. I tried to remove battery, RAM memory, HD, and couldnt fix it. Did you manage to find the solution? Mine started just 1 month past after warranty time was over, so i couldnt sent it back to lenovo, and i dont trust anyone here in my city to handle it, because most of them dont have knowledge to work in the motherboard or they are just scams.

thanks for share, i also have the same thoughts to test others adaptor..

after some reasearch, i also got the same answers. It might be motherboard.. and it just the same like buying new laotop i suppose

i dont know if its help, i just found this on youtube

on the video, it has the same problem as we are

i havent try it yet

the