What is LMG doing to combat climate change?

GodAtum

A video card in a landfill might be 'better' for the environment than a video card in a working machine; it was still a wasteful process getting the thing manufactured and shipped but at least the card in the landfill isn't using electricity.

16 hours ago, DavidKalinowski said:

We're the Planeteers, you can be one too! Because saving our planet is the thing to do!

I used to get so mad at my parents for not recycling our stuff, didn't dawn on me that our town of 260 people in the middle of mid-Missouri did not have a recycling program. (granted I was like 7)

See i don`t have anything against people trying to save the planet, all i am saying that after i started working in the metal industries, i realised that what ever you do in your lifetime (how ever you are going to save the planet, drive an EV, go solar, don`t buy plastic etc) there is a company somewhere in the world that will pollute more then that in a week. 

Sad reality there are chemical processes and heavy industries that we simply don`t know how to do without some serious flaw, and if we are not to late now, until science actually resolves those issues how we can make stuff more ecologically we will be late up to then.

Sorry for a bit pessimistic view but it is what it is. 

4 hours ago, crazzp said:

I believe we can fix it both ways, from top to bottom AND from bottom to top, it's not exclusive. 
We can start by changing our demands, with that, the profit-hungry companies will change. 
What we can do to influence companies if there's a substantial number of people doing the same:
1. Go vegetarian/vegan or eat less meat - raising animals for food is a huge environment-harming activity 

2. Avoid fast fashion - Go for good quality stuff that will last instead of cheap clothing which you will throw away quickly. 
3. REDUCE comes before REUSE and RECYCLE (Linus advocates this ALL THE TIME) - Recycling also contributes to the environment so the best is to reduce your impact.

4. Drive less, advocate for better public transport. No idea what's with USA's love for cars. The refusal to build decent public transport system is confounding. Please don't use size as an excuse (China is just slightly smaller and they have amazing train system which are cheaper and more environment friendly than planes and cars).

If everyone were to practice these habits, companies will definitely have to change and there help in the environment. 

I get what you mean and a fair bit of people are doing it but the top is actively pushing against all of these so it doesn't damage their bottom line. I mean every time you see a movement about any of these shortly after you'll see more ads about for example new cars, try the new meat thing, buy a new phone after your last literally exploded,...

To get everyone to join in and for it to be effective for a looong time we need to just flat out stop that push against all that is helping so the people that are more easily influenced will also start following simple because that is not the easiest option.

6 hours ago, comander said:

So just stop producing/using... food... energy... transportation... basically everything that you like in life.

All of this can be produced in sufficient quantity with significantly lower emissions.

If you shut down a random 20 of those top 100 companies and put your name next to it, you'd have one or three billion people VERY upset. 

Nobody said they need to be shut down. They just need to be held responsible for the harm they do and forced to do better through regulation.

It also does NOTHING about methane which is A LOT more troublesome than people think. Yeah... there's multiple greenhouse gases out there. 

A lot of methane emissions come from factory farming, which is both unnecessary and due to corporate interests. You're literally making my point for me here.

But hey, I guess your solution of "just lay down and die" could work too...

We also probably need to start taxing imports from countries which are gross polluters...

Countries like the US you mean? Also, what do you think the outcome of this would be if you believe these emissions are just so damn necessary?

Much of the issue is inherently technological. We need better technology - yesterday. 

Bullshit. Unless by "better technology" you mean "magic", the core issue remains the amount of energy we use and the way we produce it.

At some level "going after the top 100 companies" means having PHENOMENAL advances in batteries, PHENOMENAL advanced in power generation (nuclear, solar, wind, hydro, etc.), PHENOMINAL advances in agriculture. 

It really doesn't, nuclear energy is plenty mature right now. It's not a perfect solution but I'll take it any day over inevitable climate doom. Call me back when you pull these "phenomenal" advancements out of your butt, in the meanwhile I'll keep advocating for solutions that work with the tech we have.

As for agriculture, we currently produce more than enough food for all humans with a wide margin (assuming fair distribution, which we don't have, but that is another issue). The largest threat to that is, guess what, climate change.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

18 hours ago, OneOfYas said:

It would be best to do nothing, the climate is going to change if we like it or not and sorry but the world don't revolve around humans.

Didn't China literally greened a desert?

Didn't we literally also chopped down dozens of forests for whatever human needs? What makes you think that humans can't affect the planet?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

4 hours ago, Moonzy said:

Didn't China literally greened a desert?

Didn't we literally also chopped down dozens of forests for whatever human needs? What makes you think that humans can't affect the planet?

We can't effect the planet because the planet will still be here even if we are extinct.

It don't matter, what matters is that humans cater for themselves no matter what like all other animals, no regard for anything else.

Welcome to delusion when a spec of dust thinks it can destroy an entire planet on it's own.

If you are so concerned, you would just kill yourself, it's the only way out. We are all human and there is no deliverance from ourselves.. it's all just a delusional mindset so we end up weaker and subservient to those who keep pushing this tripe. All based on fear, and what is the true fear? Oh humans not having a home... The Earth will be fine and will re-grow and won't miss us.

You also speak this from a place of wealth and abundance. 

You already have the basics.. you just make up things in your head not understanding that everything you have is because humans were predators and still are, even you, just a passive one trying to look like a saint.

Delusional.

Reckon those people without any of it are thinking the same things as you?

Vans UltraRange EXO SE

1 hour ago, OneOfYas said:

We can't effect the planet because the planet will still be here even if we are extinct.

It don't matter, what matters is that humans cater for themselves no matter what like all other animals, no regard for anything else.

Welcome to delusion when a spec of dust thinks it can destroy an entire planet on it's own.

If you are so concerned, you would just kill yourself, it's the only way out. We are all human and there is no deliverance from ourselves.. it's all just a delusional mindset so we end up weaker and subservient to those who keep pushing this tripe. All based on fear, and what is the true fear? Oh humans not having a home... The Earth will be fine and will re-grow and won't miss us.

You also speak this from a place of wealth and abundance. 

You already have the basics.. you just make up things in your head not understanding that everything you have is because humans were predators and still are, even you, just a passive one trying to look like a saint.

Delusional.

Reckon those people without any of it are thinking the same things as you?

Ok

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

4 hours ago, Moonzy said:

Ok

It's nothing new and has only come about in modern times when people got things that were "Capable" of measuring with accuracy.

You have to remember that people pushing something is not always real or even cohesive even if it does seem like a logical thing.

Weather has always been like this on Earth, the climate has been the steadiest ever for a long time which is not normal for Earth, we got very lucky.

It's odd how the extremes in weather were never touted as such not so long ago but all of a sudden with the debut of EVERYONE on the internet, suddenly the world is going to end and we should fear ourselves LOL.

It's happened before like SansVarnic mentioned but now even so more in your face as the internet is full of misinformation and anything can be peddled by anyone and be taken as fact. It don't have to be.

I could pretend that I am 6 foot 5 and I could take images of myself to "prove" it, except the angle is why I look so tall and lenses on phone cameras distort images, humans also have hard time perceiving accuracy with 2d space images vs the real world, there is so much information missing from the image.

Give us a break. 

Remember, did those people with accurate measures go back in time to prove the theory? or did they take measure from inaccurate tools from the past?

Should be the dead giveaway that it's bullshit.

Gatekeeping is a sad thing, but it has it's uses.. the internet requires rules. Or it is just a monopoly for the truly unruly who have an ounce of smartness and will destroy everyone in the process, the wild west.

I don't see Earth being effected on the internet do you? But it's messing human brains up.

Watch this.

Now watch the late comedian George Carlin about bullshit.

See bridges? Same concepts for human deception.

As for the OP, Linus is not the problem, Linus lives an honest life within the confines that this existence allows and it is fully shaped by humans and all of their idiosyncrasies. People at the top want to stay at the top whilst showing you a false image, I would never expect a product of society to change, because this society is the "norm".

Linus does not show a false image, he is not involved in climate change because hypocrisy is worse than valiant virtue signaling.

He has a wife, has a nice setup and a secure future ahead of him, he worked for it.

The OP misconstrues their own jealous nature as good when truly they are just as evil as those wanting to stay at the top.

Linus shows dignity, love and passion for what he does and those he comes across, a lot more good things than what anyone here can push forwards with words, This does not mean those types of people are not here, they certainly are not the loud mouths though.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"During this distraction we should be focused on the real battle inside of ourselves, and change our ways and be more compassionate to one another."

Vans UltraRange EXO SE

This debate on climate change has been as productive as it'll ever be. No point continuing. Thread locked.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450