Gigabyte Vision 3080ti and AMD 5800X fans ramping constantly.

DasHHat
Go to solution Solved by DasHHat,

The CPU was faulty.

AMD sorted the warranty return. Took just over a week for it to get from UK, tested in europe and back again. Not bad really.

It now is 70C during games, 50-60 while youtube and browsing etc, 30-40 when left alone for a bit.

I'll continue to try and figure out the GPU fan ramp issues.

I have found that the GPU tries to spin up the fans when it hits 40% fan speed. However the actual lower limit of the fan having enough power to spin is around 44%, so it causes a big speed ramp when they do finally come on, then they drop in speed from 44 -> 39, then turn off. Then wait all the way up to 44, and start the process over again.

To counter this I have set the fans to 44% as a minimum so they're barely audible and on all the time to prevent the annoyng speed ramps every minute.

I could really do with some help in what's normal, I'm new to Ryzen and high end GPU's coming from a 3570K and a 970 then used 1080.

Cooler: NHD15. Case: Corsair 220T airflow (dust filter and side panel of case removed for now for max air)

Issues: 

CPU:
My 3570k would ramp fans when opening 10 tabs at once, but the 5800X seems to do so when doing just one, and doing very minor tasks elsewhere in the PC also causing speed ramps. I've set all my fan speed ramps to be very conservative and flat to try and limit these spikes, but I let the fans go faster beyond 70 for safety of the chip).

I'm new to AMD Ryzen and have heard that their single core temps are higher as they tend to load a single core rather than spread it, which could be leading to my temp spikes?

CPU is going from idling at 50-55C to hitting 70-75C when doing minor tasks. The 3570K would idle in the 30's and only hit 80's under extreme overclocking with this cooler.

(something I noted was the circular logo on the corner of my Ryzen chip was quite raised, could this be causing contact issues to the heatsink? I've included pics of it and you can see where on the cooler where it was. Is this normal on ryzen chips?)

GPU: 
This has plagued me since my 1080. On chrome, whenever a video is playing the fans will start turning on and off constantly as it hits whatever temp is it's fan-start temp and goes up and below it every 20 seconds or so. It's incredibly frustrating to be sat next to. I've tried firefox and chrome in incognito mode to remove extensions but nothing works. (disabling HW acceleartion obviously does, but this remvoes the ability to watch HDR content on chrome)

I was hoping the heft of a 3080ti would mean it didnt have to work very hard to play YT videos and hence not need to cool itself, but no. Whether the fans are set to come on at 50C or 70C, it will hit that temp and then bounce up and down.

I'm not watching a video now as I type this, but the 3080ti's fans are turning on and off at 55C while the rest of the PC sits idle.

This is not a GPU specific issue though, the 1080 also did this, but the 3080ti is worse, the 1080 would cool down after a video, the 3080ti does not.

Board temps range from 45 to 60 so the internal case temp is fine, as these issues aren't allevated with the case fans on full blast trying to push air over the GPU.

I have included screenshots of the GPU when idle then watching videos, you can see the tachometer spikes as the fans turn on briefly whether it's idle or not. Task manager during videos showing it's chrome and when idle, both have the fans turning off and on to some degree.

(sorry if this needs to be elsewhere, as it's a bunch of differnt issues that sort of revolve around fans I thought this place best)

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

I think its just a warm CPU.. I have a 5600X and the fans don't ramp at all in this system unless I set them to idle at 50-55% 😄 

My 5900X makes my fans ramp too.. I removed 3 system fans to try and get the noise under control. They are still pretty rowdy but the system is tolerable most of the time. But to be fair I limited PBO boost to 5100 or else they would be just a little more intense with it boosting to 5150.. 3 out of my 5 fans rev to 2500-3000 RPM, and the other 2 rev to 18-1900 RPM so things get a bit intense at the tippy top if ya know what I mean.. Lots-o-motor noise. Lots of air moving too. My GPU spits out some solid heat too.. it actually effects other components in my system.. not used to that.. that sort of thing happened to other people, not me 😄

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

my  1080 has this problem too. i asked around and all said it was normal thow i never had this problem before, any way my gpu ramps up at like 35 it cools and drop to 34 and ramps down and repeats ... so now i need a custom fan curve to fix it. not a big deal but if i forget to run msi afterburner then its annoying. dont no if that's your problem but that's what mine was.

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

Thanks for the responses.

Does anybody with a Ryzen chip have experience with the raised logo in the corner potentially affecting contact with the cooler?

I might start a thread just on that in the CPU forum.

17 hours ago, narrdarr said:

Which 3080 ti do you have?

gigabyte Vision OC 3080Ti

16 hours ago, freeagent said:

I think its just a warm CPU.. I have a 5600X and the fans don't ramp at all in this system unless I set them to idle at 50-55% 😄 

My 5900X makes my fans ramp too.. I removed 3 system fans to try and get the noise under control. They are still pretty rowdy but the system is tolerable most of the time. But to be fair I limited PBO boost to 5100 or else they would be just a little more intense with it boosting to 5150.. 3 out of my 5 fans rev to 2500-3000 RPM, and the other 2 rev to 18-1900 RPM so things get a bit intense at the tippy top if ya know what I mean.. Lots-o-motor noise. Lots of air moving too. My GPU spits out some solid heat too.. it actually effects other components in my system.. not used to that.. that sort of thing happened to other people, not me 😄

What sort of idle temps do you see? I'm never below 50C idle with 25-35C case temps and easy spikes to 70C making fans ramp.

15 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

my  1080 has this problem too. i asked around and all said it was normal thow i never had this problem before, any way my gpu ramps up at like 35 it cools and drop to 34 and ramps down and repeats ... so now i need a custom fan curve to fix it. not a big deal but if i forget to run msi afterburner then its annoying. dont no if that's your problem but that's what mine was.

Sad to hear others with 1080's have this too. However even with the fan curve raised so they dont start spinning till 60C, the GPU still gets there and starts turning the fans on and off. When I touch the back of the metal plate it's incredibly hot, even with absolutely no load from a cold boot.

20 minutes ago, DasHHat said:

What sort of idle temps do you see? I'm never below 50C idle with 25-35C case temps and easy spikes to 70C making fans ramp.

On my 5900X I see about 24-26c idle, and my gpu idles around 21-23 in a 20c space

11 minutes ago, freeagent said:

On my 5900X I see about 24-26c idle, and my gpu idles around 21-23 in a 20c space

Well it's safe to say there's something very wrong with my system then.

I had the GPU spinning up issue on windows 10, so I now have a completely clean windows 11 install with the same problems. I have no idea what to try anymore.

The GPU does not dissipate heat, even with the side panels off or with all case fans on full.

24 minutes ago, DasHHat said:

Well it's safe to say there's something very wrong with my system then.

I had the GPU spinning up issue on windows 10, so I now have a completely clean windows 11 install with the same problems. I have no idea what to try anymore.

The GPU does not dissipate heat, even with the side panels off or with all case fans on full.

What fans are you using? If they are 30-50cfm you might as well just stick your head in the case and blow on stuff yourself 😄

19 hours ago, DasHHat said:

Board temps range from 45 to 60 so the internal case temp is fine, as these issues aren't allevated with the case fans on full blast trying to push air over the GPU.

Are you talking about mobo temp? To me 45-60 is pretty darn warm, my mobo temp usually hovers around 20-21c, chipset temp usually around 30-31c until the GPU starts breathing all over it then she creeps up to about 37c on the chipset. 

1 hour ago, freeagent said:

What fans are you using? If they are 30-50cfm you might as well just stick your head in the case and blow on stuff yourself 😄

Are you talking about mobo temp? To me 45-60 is pretty darn warm, my mobo temp usually hovers around 20-21c, chipset temp usually around 30-31c until the GPU starts breathing all over it then she creeps up to about 37c on the chipset. 

Well these issues happen with the side panel off and fans on full. I've included screencaps of the pc that's been idle/logged off for an hour and then after minor chrome youtube use.
The bottom 2 are temp sensors, I've put temp1 on the intake and temp2 near the exhaust fan above the GPU.

This case has 3x SP120's intakes and 1x Arctic F12 PWM exhaust which are all up to 52CFM. 

CPU temps were never an issue even with a heavily OC'd 3770K, but witht he 5800X they're incredibly spiky, but I've always struggled with GPU temps and fans spinning up all the time. No matter what I do to try and blow air over either the 1080 or 3080ti, once they're up to their fan curve trip temp, be it 30C or 60C, they stay there and spin up and down constantly.

It seems really silly to have all my fans on max JUST to keep a completely unused GPU from spinning up its fans constantly and not cooling down after it's gotten hot from watching some videos.

I've just set everything to max now, and I'm not doing anything, and the GPU is sat at 56C, spinning its fans up and down as it doesn't dissipate any heat. Exhaust temps all the way back down at 31C and barely warm to feel. But the GPU STILL won't cool down.

image.png

image.png

4 hours ago, DasHHat said:

CPU temps were never an issue even with a heavily OC'd 3770K, but witht he 5800X they're incredibly spiky,

I came from a 3770K still running at 4600 1.3v That CPU is nothing compared to my 6 core Vermeer, let alone your 8 core. I can run Linpack Xtreme on that 3770K at 4400MHz with no fan on the heatsink out in the open..

4 hours ago, DasHHat said:

It seems really silly to have all my fans on max JUST to keep a completely unused GPU from spinning up its fans constantly and not cooling down after it's gotten hot from watching some videos.

52cfm is not much, even worse with no side panel on. It sounds like your system cant breathe.. Got RGB? That is probably chewing a ton of CPU cycles.

in one of the pics is shows cpu at 61c and the cpu rpm at 596...that way to low

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

11 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

in one of the pics is shows cpu at 61c and the cpu rpm at 596...that way to low

It's the same with fans on max with side of case open.

11 hours ago, freeagent said:

I came from a 3770K still running at 4600 1.3v That CPU is nothing compared to my 6 core Vermeer, let alone your 8 core. I can run Linpack Xtreme on that 3770K at 4400MHz with no fan on the heatsink out in the open..

52cfm is not much, even worse with no side panel on. It sounds like your system cant breathe.. Got RGB? That is probably chewing a ton of CPU cycles.

3x 52cfm fans is ample, the curtains billowing behind my pc from the exhaust at only 30C them is testament to that. This case is the specific "airflow" version that's gamers nexus gave very high marks for airflow and cooling with it's stock fans. I've even removed the hard drive bay so the bottom fan can blow into the case, giving the GPU 2 fans blowing directly on it. And at max settings they can barely keep it from turning its fans on while it sits idle.

With the fans set to 50% this case kept their 6700K and GTX 1080 50-60C in torture tests, with CPU temps just a few degrees off the "best" cases.

Their torture test results are similar to my idle, with the exact same setup. So something is definitely wrong.

I know iCUE is pretty resource heavy, but it doesn't make a difference with it installed or not in my testing. The 5800X is more than powerful enough to deal with it anyway. It spikes regardless of rgb and idles in the 50's. I'm contacting AMD for an RMA and I'm going to try booting into linux and see if the gpu still burns up. It is absolutely ridiculous to have this level of noise sat next to me just to keep the gpu below 55C while it does nothing. the backplate is boiling all the time.

Most likely fan speeds on cpu cooler wont have a large effect on temps. So just set the max rpm for 75C to something like 900. The curve you have in place is pretty much the most annoying one as it goes up and down constantly with tiny changes on temp for no apparent reason. You can also always disable the passive mode for gpu and make it run fans at low rpm on idle too.

30 minutes ago, DasHHat said:

This case is the specific "airflow" version that's gamers nexus gave very high marks for airflow and cooling with it's stock fans.

He gave mine low marks yet it seems to crush the average joes setup..

Anywhoo sounds like you’ve done what you can with what you have. Is it particularly warm in your space?

42 minutes ago, freeagent said:

He gave mine low marks yet it seems to crush the average joes setup..

Anywhoo sounds like you’ve done what you can with what you have. Is it particularly warm in your space?

I'm in the UK. So, no xD

1 hour ago, DasHHat said:

I'm in the UK. So, no xD

can we get a pic of the pc? just to rule things out? i would set a gpu fan curve with msi afterburner.

this is my gpu fan curve.

looks like your using the low fan rpm with the d15 like i am i would probably remove it.

my gpu temp.png

temps.png

Edited by thrasher_565

Maybe you could try reapplying your thermal paste on both CPU and GPU, or underclock it

1 hour ago, error275 said:

Maybe you could try reapplying your thermal paste on both CPU and GPU, or underclock it

I already have reapplied on the CPU, it's how I found the logo left an indent and could be lifting, 

I stole a 3080 (non ti) from work and I'm going to see if it has the same issues.

I have a R7 3800X and I have the same issue with my idle temps. I don't have a problem with graphics card, just the CPU.

• 1 month later...

The CPU was faulty.

AMD sorted the warranty return. Took just over a week for it to get from UK, tested in europe and back again. Not bad really.

It now is 70C during games, 50-60 while youtube and browsing etc, 30-40 when left alone for a bit.

I'll continue to try and figure out the GPU fan ramp issues.

I have found that the GPU tries to spin up the fans when it hits 40% fan speed. However the actual lower limit of the fan having enough power to spin is around 44%, so it causes a big speed ramp when they do finally come on, then they drop in speed from 44 -> 39, then turn off. Then wait all the way up to 44, and start the process over again.

To counter this I have set the fans to 44% as a minimum so they're barely audible and on all the time to prevent the annoyng speed ramps every minute.