Windows 11 icon location?

Nexxus
Go to solution Solved by Nexxus,

So answered my own question, will offer a reply to anyone looking to do the same thing. 
First and foremost you will be messing with critcal Windows system files and folders. I take no responcibility if you mess Windows up.

First thing I did was download icon extract from https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/iconsext.html

Once downloaded run iconsext.exe and direct it to run in C:\Windows\System32\*.* I had check subfolders ticked, You may be able to get a more exact location to find system icons but I couldnt get it working

Let it run, may take a while scroll though once finished to find the icon you are looking for and save it somewhere. If you are using photoshop you will want the ico file format plugin which can be found here http://www.telegraphics.com.au/sw/product/ICOFormat read the readme on installing it. 

Edit all your icons... ideally you want to make once for each size. Save them all as .png

When you are finishing making your edited icons head over to https://redketchup.io/icon-editor this is a basic web editor that will allow you to combine various pngs into a single .ico file which you can then download and save where you like and then do the same old change icon thing you have probably done in your proporties menu.

I was looking for where windows stores its icon files (for the time being im looking for the downloads icon)  so I can alter some to keep with the theming of W11s default icons for certain things without it just being a folder icon.

A location to just...aquire a pack of the default icons would work too.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

So answered my own question, will offer a reply to anyone looking to do the same thing. 
First and foremost you will be messing with critcal Windows system files and folders. I take no responcibility if you mess Windows up.

First thing I did was download icon extract from https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/iconsext.html

Once downloaded run iconsext.exe and direct it to run in C:\Windows\System32\*.* I had check subfolders ticked, You may be able to get a more exact location to find system icons but I couldnt get it working

Let it run, may take a while scroll though once finished to find the icon you are looking for and save it somewhere. If you are using photoshop you will want the ico file format plugin which can be found here http://www.telegraphics.com.au/sw/product/ICOFormat read the readme on installing it. 

Edit all your icons... ideally you want to make once for each size. Save them all as .png

When you are finishing making your edited icons head over to https://redketchup.io/icon-editor this is a basic web editor that will allow you to combine various pngs into a single .ico file which you can then download and save where you like and then do the same old change icon thing you have probably done in your proporties menu.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

You don't have all the icons, technically speaking from the tool you linked. This is because it is a 32-bit app, and so Windows routes everything to C:\Windows\SysWoW64\

15 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

You don't have all the icons, technically speaking from the tool you linked. This is because it is a 32-bit app, and so Windows routes everything to C:\Windows\SysWoW64\

? There is a 64 bit version. May have a valid point with C:\Windows\SysWoW64\ though googling I was struggling to find a decent souce for finding locations. system32 seemed to be coming up a lot so I went with it and found what I needed.

System Specs

49 minutes ago, Nexxus said:

? There is a 64 bit version. May have a valid point with C:\Windows\SysWoW64\ though googling I was struggling to find a decent souce for finding locations. system32 seemed to be coming up a lot so I went with it and found what I needed.

NirSoft IconsExtract is 32-bit application. And it states:

IconsExtract can only extract icons from 32-bit executable files. It cannot extract icons from 16-bit files.

It was made in a time where 64-bit wasn't really a thing. But it falls in the same bucket. 

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

NirSoft IconsExtract is 32-bit application. And it states:

It was made in a time where 64-bit wasn't really a thing. But it falls in the same bucket. 

I did a durp. was looking at Resouce Extract when I saw the 64bit appliation, Seems it can largely do the same thing, perhaps a better way to go about it 

System Specs