Soft thermal pads or putty

Damyanoff

Greetings, forum!

I am new here since I always try to find info on the net, but registered because I couldnt find anything, that is exacly my case this time.

I recently purchased an old R9 290x, wich suits my needs and considering the fact that new GPU costs an arm and a leg these days.

I have a custom loop and the R9 290x is with a water block - EK FC 290x v2.

The problem is that the memory dies are not on a even plane and the ones that are on the center of the PCB are lower than the rest. Considering the tight clearances of the water block the center memory chips dont contact the block with regular 0.5mm pads(recommend by EK). The pads are Arctic Cooling 6w/mk. They fill nicely the outer memory chips but not the center ones, wich reguire 1mm pads to make contact. That tho prevents the other chips to make contact. 

So the question is - can you recommend 1mm very soft pads or thermal putty? I live in EU and the only source of exotic items is true eBay and AliExpress.

I found a thermal putty of some sort, that i can get - K5 PRO, but there are mixed reviews on the net.

Thanks in advance!

No one? Meanwhile I searched here and there and couldn't find anything softer than the Arctic pads. They are shore 25-00. I wrote to EK, but they just give me aome pads from their store, wich are substantially harder - Shore A - 05. I am starting to think that these classifications are just irrelevant.

• 1 year later...

Follow up - 1 year with thermal putty with no issues. I haven't disassembled the video card, to see if its dried up, but its working without problem.