Enable XMP = Kernel-Power 41, Bug Code 0

Go to solution Solved by SupaKomputa,

Manually set the timings and voltage instead of XMP since you have different ram modules (c16 & c18).

Try a very loose timings like 19-25-25-45 and 1.35 volts or set it to the factory timing on the lowest one (trident cl18) 18-22-22-42 @ 1.35V.

If it doesn't work, adding the voltage gradually till 1.45, until stable.

I cannot recommend going over 1.45. 

If it doesn't work, go back to 1.35v and loose the timings.

Need some advice. I just built a new system with the below specs. 

CPU: 5600x
Mobo: Gigabyte b550i Aorus Pro Ax
SSD: 1TB Intel 665p 
RAM: 2x 8Gb Ballistix 3600 MHz (BL2K8G36C16U4B)/ 2x 8GB Trident Z RGB 3600 (F4-3600C18D-16GTZRX) (I've tried a whole bunch of different memory, actually)
PSU: Corsair SF750 
GPU: EVGA 3060ti xc
Case: Velka 7, aka 'The Toaster Oven'

Sadly, the new build would randomly crash and restart with the dreaded "Kernel-Power Event 41, Bug Code 0". After a bunch of testing, I narrowed it down to XMP. Regardless of which of the three Gigabyte approved Ram Kits I use, enabling xmp will cause this error. And before you ask, prior to deciding XMP was the culprit I tried

1.) New PSU

2.) Different GPU

3.) Different CPU

4.) Different RAM

5.) DDU uninstall and re-install of GPU Drivers

6.) New BIOS

7.) Disabling Fast Boot and other Windows settings

8.) Clean windows install.

9.) Thinking REALLY positive thoughts.

10.) Building outside of the "hotbox" case in case HWinfo wasn't catching a weird heat spike.

I'm pretty confident at this point, XMP is my issue.

So, now that I know that, what should I do? Would a mobo swap solve this? Manually doing the memory timings? Some other bit of tech wizardry that I don't know of?

Alternately, how much of a performance hit am I taking NOT enabling xmp?

Sorry for the wall of text. ANY advices is very appreciated.

-Ben

Kernel 41 is just a hard crash.

Probably need to bump up SoC and DRAM voltage a bit, even with XMP.

Up to 1.2v SoC and 1.5v dram.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

Manually set the timings and voltage instead of XMP since you have different ram modules (c16 & c18).

Try a very loose timings like 19-25-25-45 and 1.35 volts or set it to the factory timing on the lowest one (trident cl18) 18-22-22-42 @ 1.35V.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

20 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Oh. sorry. My, bad. I meant that I tried two separate kits, not that I'm mixing and matching. 

I'd prefer to use the Ballistix as the RGB doesn't do anything for this build given the perforated aluminum side panels.

If I were manually setting the timings for the Ballistix (Rated as 16-18-18-38 1.35v) should I just manually set it to that? I don't know a lot about memory overclocking, but that's what it appears that the BIOS tries to automatically do when I enable xmp.

50 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

Kernel 41 is just a hard crash.

Probably need to bump up SoC and DRAM voltage a bit, even with XMP.

Up to 1.2v SoC and 1.5v dram.

Okay. Let me try that. Having never manually set Memory timings before, it's possible if it doesn't work that I just screwed up, so I might post back with some screenshots if this doesn't do the trick.

Yeah you will be setting it just like the XMP, but if it doesn't work, try adding more voltage gradually 0.01.

I assume the mobo cannot run it at default 1.35v (this usually fixed with a newer bios update).

2 minutes ago, prescben said:

Okay. Let me try that. Having never manually set Memory timings before, it's possible if it doesn't work that I just screwed up, so I might post back with some screenshots if this doesn't do the trick.

If it doesn't work just reset the bios / unplug the battery and start over.

On some mobo it will try to run your settings on boot, when failed, it will revert to the default automatically.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

34 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

If it doesn't work just reset the bios / unplug the battery and start over.

On some mobo it will try to run your settings on boot, when failed, it will revert to the default automatically.

Actually, this is working so far. I can't promise that solved it, but every time I put the system underload before with xmp turned on it would crash after a few minutes, and it hasn't done that so far. But it's late, so I'll have to continue tomorrow.

Never mucked about with memory timings before, so probably wouldn't have tried unless someone pushed me to. So thanks for the push.

Goodluck, it would be wonderful if you can use both kit for 32gb, i'm sure you can do it.

Since it's an itx board, I'd need to swap to two 16gb sticks. I have a set of ripjaws v that are 2x 16gb, but they didn't play nice with ryzen last i tried them. That said, that was with last generations cpus. Might be interesting to try at some point, though.

But 16Gb should be fine for now. 

Calling this solved for now. Will re-open if the error suddenly reappears, but if that happens, I expect I could just tweak the manual timings/voltage.

Thanks all!