Adobe software on Linux?

i use windows to edit videos, audio and graphic design, i'm confident ONLY with the adobe software, is there a way to have it work on linux? is it reliable? this is the only stuff that's holding me to windows to be honest, i've seen steam works amazing with all games and i guess i can play windows games i download """""out of steam""""" with zero problems...

i've looked up on google and on official adobe forum it's said there's still no information or an idea about a linux porting of adobe software 😞 so i ask you guys that for sure know more about linux then me if there's a work around to at least try! i'd love to switch or even just make a dual boot drive to get used to linux before a full switch

Metalhead with a huge itch for PC gaming, video editing and audio recording, currently playing in a band and pwning n00bs in the summoners rift ;)

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Up to cs6 it is possible. But creative cloud broke it because the drm doesn't work on linux and there seem to be no plans to fix that.

F i guess i'm stuck with windows 😞 sad that Adobe is not working towards linux OS... but i guess it won't make enough money for them

Metalhead with a huge itch for PC gaming, video editing and audio recording, currently playing in a band and pwning n00bs in the summoners rift ;)

you'd have to move to Reslove for video editing and effects+audio,

For photo editing there are a few companies that have talked about making a linux port

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

The 3 main things keeping people to Windows instead of Linux are 1.) Anti-Cheat in games (going away now), 2.) Adobe software, and 3.) just not caring enough to burn a few weeks of productivity to get used to it. I remember hearing somewhere that there's a way to get this to work with a paid version of Wine, but I can't seem to find anything to back that up. Your best bet is to either keep Adobe software in a VM, keep a Windows partition around for just Adobe, or spend the time to learn some of the other Linux compatible tools like Kdenlive and Davinci Resolve for video editing and GIMP and Krita for Photo editing. 

1 hour ago, y0ur5h4d0w said:

F i guess i'm stuck with windows 😞 sad that Adobe is not working towards linux OS... but i guess it won't make enough money for them

Or MacOS.  They all work on that too. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just use MacOS.. you can do plenty of Linux'ey things on MacOS with homebrew or macports. (I'd imagine you can run all of KDE on it really..)

Adobe has never supported Linux and they never will.. With the exception of Flash. If I were you I'd try to transition away from them.. it's not a good thing to have your livelihood beholden to a single company.

"Only proprietary software vendors want proprietary software." - Dexter's Law

11 minutes ago, jde3 said:

Just use MacOS.. you can do plenty of Linux'ey things on MacOS with homebrew or macports. (I'd imagine you can run all of KDE on it really..)

Adobe has never supported Linux and they never will.. With the exception of Flash. If I were you I'd try to transition away from them.. it's not a good thing to have your livelihood beholden to a single company.

2 is better than 1 though 3 is better than 2. After 3 there starts to be diminishing returns, though 4 and 5 are good.  After 5 it gets smaller fast though

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 10/16/2021 at 1:00 AM, y0ur5h4d0w said:

Adobe doesn't even support case-sensitive filesystems on MacOS which is a complete joke.

On 10/22/2021 at 4:39 PM, NicolaiVdS said:

You can try WinApps linux its a tool that connects to a local rdp (in must cases a windows vm running on the same machine) and let you use windows apps

that's interesting! thanks, i'll give it a try 😄

every singe one ive tried so far works perfectly :

illustrator_2020  

illustrator_cc_2017  

photoshop_2020  

photoshop_cc  

photoshop_cc_2019  

photoshop_cc_64bit

Acrobat5

the reason for the _ in thenames is so i dont have to escape them , i have all adobe products installed i a single WINEPREFIX,

(wich is also a btrfs subvolume and a snapshot of a template prefix subvolume: as wineprefixes ted to get bigger and bigger in size i figured id use the power of cow to manage that)

m still figuring out a way to create lnk files in linux in a consistend automated way ,but for now i , just create the following symlinks whitin a prefix to get around the escaping hell of wine:

Program_Files => Program Files

the link is in teh same folder as the target only every space is replaced by _

for every folder and filename that i need within the prefix as entry point.

then i create a folder /exec at the root of the prefix and it holds bash scripts to launch the applications only the top 3 lines need to be adjusted to create a different launcher for another exe within the prefix , (or another the rest can be copied without care)

optional drop a folder .meta/icons/ with all icons of the exes at the root of the subv for the notifier :

the script in the exec folder looks like:

#is named photoshop_2020 (no .sh as i use the name for getting the matchin icon) , and can be run with ./photoshop_2020 (after a chmod +x)

#!/usr/bin/env bash
INST="Program_Files/Adobe/Adobe_Photoshop_2020/"
APPNAME="Adobe_Photoshop_2020"
EXE="Photoshop_2020.exe" 
# path to a .lnk can also be used
################################################################################################
########################  EDITING BELOW NOT NEEDED IN MOST CASES  ##############################
################################################################################################
BTRENV=$(cd "$(dirname "${BASH_SOURCE[0]}")/.." && pwd)
#echo $BTRENV
SCRNAME="$(basename "${BASH_SOURCE[0]}")"
#echo $SCRNAME
#APPPATH="$INST/$APPNAME/"
ICON=".meta/icons/$SCRNAME.png"
CACHE_PATH="/home/$USER/.cache/$APPNAME"
RESOURCES_PATH="$BTRENV/resources"
WINE_PREFIX="$BTRENV/"
#echo $APPPATH
#echo $ICON
#echo $CACHE_PATH
#echo $RESOURCES_PATH
#echo $WINE_PREFIX
notify-send "$APPNAME" "$EXE launched." -i "$BTRENV/$ICON"
export WINEPREFIX="$WINE_PREFIX"
wine64 "$BTRENV/drive_c/$INST$EXE"

Screenshot_20211026_002227.thumb.png.a7868a09d117403b53b1fc4268937956.pngScreenshot_20211021_075027.thumb.png.7a1c0d2cfeb812bd403a9c5678cc8496.pngScreenshot_20211026_002333.thumb.png.9fa876adc0301d992ef6629e32d809a8.pngScreenshot_20211026_002626.thumb.png.99b80c0a35f736319c0ebf114c0a8e8c.png

and as a note on the side got MS Office working aswel version 2010, 1016 , 2019 , not working yet: 365

aswell as Potplayer with X-Input, and Ableton Live 10 Suite.

currently working on the script thing to automate more and to work around the spaces and escaping problem using lnk files.

i just use Gimp , Kolourpaint and Kdenlive in linux for graphic design annd video editing. but you can use Inkscape ,Pinta  and Krita for graphic design. 

Here a beginer guide to Gimp for you

14 minutes ago, LBrocato said:

i just use Gimp , Kolourpaint and Kdenlive in linux for graphic design annd video editing. but you can use Inkscape ,Pinta  and Krita for graphic design. 

Here a beginer guide to Gimp for you

My memory is the big issue with gimp is the awful UI. (I was recently told that the term gui is outdated and I should stop using it) the actual functionality is really pretty good. this gives it a steeper learning curve, but steeper learning curves can have their advantages even if climbing the hill is harder.  As someone whos photoshop chops are wildly outdated, I would say if you’ve got to learn one, learn gimp.  It will take longer to learn, but it runs on more or less everything and it’s actually really hard to keep someone from using it instead.  One open USB port and boom.  If you can use gimp well and have the eye, you can do any job with a photoshop requirement that isn’t dependent on some plugin.