Laptop using both iGPU and dGPU with external monitor attached.

Go to solution Solved by Qyygle,

You may want to check the lenovo manuals to see if they say which display ports are connected to what. Sometimes, one of the display out connectors will connect directly to the dGPU rather than routing through the iGPU.

Aside from that, as long as you're running the actual laptop display too, the iGPU will be in use. As a test, you can try setting the display settings to output to the external monitor only, and seeing if the iGPU is still running. You can also do this with each of the outputs, to figure out if any of the display connectors route through the dGPU

Hi there,

My notebook is  thinkpad x1 extreme gen3(10750h+gtx1650ti,single 16GB dram, 4k hdr builtin screen) . There are 2 type-c ports and 1hdmi port, and a 4k monitor is connected with a typec to dp cable(or hdmi2.0 cable). If both built-in screen and external screen are set to 4k60hz, the 3D usage rate of the igpu(intel uhd 630) is close to 100%, and then there will be frame drops and lag. If both are set to 1080p 60hz, it's ok, after checked the task manager, I found that both igpu and dgpu are working. Obviously, the outpur is rendered by 1650ti, and finally output by igpu to the external screen. Now I wonder if there is a way to connect the dgpu 1650ti directly to an external screen without going through the igpu. After checking the bios, there is no option to switch gpu for the typec port or hdmi port, please help!

Thanks.

WXWorkCapture_1634276475655.png

In most laptops unfortunately they run through the integrated graphics regardless, only some laptops have a dedicated switch to handle moving from one to the other.  Alex covered it in a review video recently, but I cant remember which one it is at the moment

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

15 minutes ago, Tamesh16 said:

In most laptops unfortunately they run through the integrated graphics regardless, only some laptops have a dedicated switch to handle moving from one to the other.  Alex covered it in a review video recently, but I cant remember which one it is at the moment

Okay, is there any other way to solve the problem of frame dropping? I think the performance of intel uhd630 is too poor to support dual 4k 60hz monitor.😭

You may want to check the lenovo manuals to see if they say which display ports are connected to what. Sometimes, one of the display out connectors will connect directly to the dGPU rather than routing through the iGPU.

Aside from that, as long as you're running the actual laptop display too, the iGPU will be in use. As a test, you can try setting the display settings to output to the external monitor only, and seeing if the iGPU is still running. You can also do this with each of the outputs, to figure out if any of the display connectors route through the dGPU