2 WAN on my SG-1100

bobbybdennis

I do not know much about networking, but this is what I have going on.

I own a sg-1100. I have in the WAN my fiber in my LAN - gaming pc and in my OPT - spectrum. I'll be on the internet and then everything disconnects for about 10-20 seconds before coming back online. I have everything as default settings, because I have 2 ISPs connected to the SG-1100 do i need to have any other specific settings put on due to the 2 ISPs? Any help with this would be great.

If i need to upload any logs just let me know i'll be paying attention close to this thread.

I did follow this video (

)  and i would say it "works" but it does disconnect constantly and come back up. Hopefully someone knows of a simple fix for me. 

26 minutes ago, bobbybdennis said:

I do not know much about networking, but this is what I have going on.

I own a sg-1100. I have in the WAN my fiber in my LAN - gaming pc and in my OPT - spectrum. I'll be on the internet and then everything disconnects for about 10-20 seconds before coming back online. I have everything as default settings, because I have 2 ISPs connected to the SG-1100 do i need to have any other specific settings put on due to the 2 ISPs? Any help with this would be great.

If i need to upload any logs just let me know i'll be paying attention close to this thread.

I did follow this video (

)  and i would say it "works" but it does disconnect constantly and come back up. Hopefully someone knows of a simple fix for me. 

Why do you have multiple IP's?

And yes.... OPT is NOT configured to be WAN. I forget how that comes default, but I am pretty sure OPT is treated as a vlan... i am not sure what the default policies are, but if they are open........ your affectively without a firewall, and, well, thats a really bad day. Hopefully your not pwned.

What is the point of this setup, why have you decided to set it up like this? How are you connecting your other devices to the internet since you don't have a switch?

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

3 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

Why do you have multiple IP's?

And yes.... OPT is NOT configured to be WAN. I forget how that comes default, but I am pretty sure OPT is treated as a vlan... i am not sure what the default policies are, but if they are open........ your affectively without a firewall, and, well, thats a really bad day. Hopefully your not pwned.

What is the point of this setup, why have you decided to set it up like this? How are you connecting your other devices to the internet since you don't have a switch?

I have multiple because I get one for free.

OPT has been changed over to be WAN2 (spectrum). I want them both because I want to be able to just switch over to spectrum on the fly by disabling my fiber when using the spectrum app on my PC to unlock all movie channels you have to be on a spectrum network. In the LAN port i have a gig switch that is doing what it needs to. The routers are plugged itno the switch and are doing just fine until the connection gets disrupted for the 5-10 seconds as stated before. The point of the setup isn't really important honestly, it's more of if someone else has ran into this before and knew a solution of possibly the PFsense box is messed up ( which ido not think is the case) I know in then post I said I don't have much experience with this but I do have plenty with networking not related to PFsense in specific.

3 minutes ago, bobbybdennis said:

I have multiple because I get one for free.

OPT has been changed over to be WAN2 (spectrum). I want them both because I want to be able to just switch over to spectrum on the fly by disabling my fiber when using the spectrum app on my PC to unlock all movie channels you have to be on a spectrum network. In the LAN port i have a gig switch that is doing what it needs to. The routers are plugged itno the switch and are doing just fine until the connection gets disrupted for the 5-10 seconds as stated before. The point of the setup isn't really important honestly, it's more of if someone else has ran into this before and knew a solution of possibly the PFsense box is messed up ( which ido not think is the case) I know in then post I said I don't have much experience with this but I do have plenty with networking not related to PFsense in specific.

The reason for the setup is important, because it gives us insight into how to best help....

In this case, split tunneling could be very useful for instance, so the traffic going to spectrum is sent over the spectrum pipe - no need to go unplug the fiber line. Or you could set up a "Spectrum" tag and easily toggle that and get traffic to flow through the spectrum pipe. Lots of ways to skin that cat besides unplugging things......

As far as why is it cutting out, that I am not sure. This setup is not something I have tried, so I am not sure what "gotchas" exist. I run pfsense, but I have not ran this. I would try (if you don't get good answers here) forums.lawrencesystems.com. They have some great networking folks as that is more their domain knowledge where LTT is more general and fast moving. When I need highly technical answers, I go there :).

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

Also, wait. "The routers are plugged into the switch"....

What do you mean? You should only have 1 router.

2 Modems should feed into your pfsense box (which is your firewall appliance, and is also your router), 1 into OPT and 1 into WAN, with your LAN going out to your switch and all your devices plugging into the switch.

2 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

Also, wait. "The routers are plugged into the switch"....

What do you mean? You should only have 1 router.

2 Modems should feed into your pfsense box (which is your firewall appliance, and is also your router), 1 into OPT and 1 into WAN, with your LAN going out to your switch and all your devices plugging into the switch.

How i ahve it right now . WAN - fiber   OPT - spectrum - LAN switch - within switch router for spectrum + fiber  router.  everything is working just fine up until the fiber cuts off then switches over to spectrum then it works fine, it's probably some sort of collision happening within the IP addresses being the same somewhere.Just getting a bit late for me to keep straining my eyes over the same information, but I will take a look at that forum site you linked. Might just make the pfsense my firewall for my fiber internet then buy a wireless card for my gaming PC to just connect to spectrum when i wanna use that, figured i'd try learning a few things about PFsense $200 isn;t bad to learn new things i'll find a good use for it

2 minutes ago, bobbybdennis said:

How i ahve it right now . WAN - fiber   OPT - spectrum - LAN switch - within switch router for spectrum + fiber  router.  everything is working just fine up until the fiber cuts off then switches over to spectrum then it works fine, it's probably some sort of collision happening within the IP addresses being the same somewhere.Just getting a bit late for me to keep straining my eyes over the same information, but I will take a look at that forum site you linked. Might just make the pfsense my firewall for my fiber internet then buy a wireless card for my gaming PC to just connect to spectrum when i wanna use that, figured i'd try learning a few things about PFsense $200 isn;t bad to learn new things i'll find a good use for it

So your double NATed? If you using ISP routers and pfsense for routing… You are.

Id put the ISP modem/routers into DMZ or bridge mode and let pfsense do all firewall things, also eliminating being double NATed.

If your using the modem/routers not in DMZ/bridge mode, are they both default 192.168.1.1? If so, that could be an issue… if in DMZ/bridge this wouldn’t happen. Beyond that, I don’t know what IP’s could be colliding.

7 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

So your double NATed? If you using ISP routers and pfsense for routing… You are.

Id put the ISP modem/routers into DMZ or bridge mode and let pfsense do all firewall things, also eliminating being double NATed.

If your using the modem/routers not in DMZ/bridge mode, are they both default 192.168.1.1? If so, that could be an issue… if in DMZ/bridge this wouldn’t happen. Beyond that, I don’t know what IP’s could be colliding.

So I moved the Fiber to the OPT port and spectrum to WAN and fingers crossed everything is working. I have ipchicken open with a 5 second autorefresh running and we are at 50 interval  with everything working and not dropping off once yet.... not sure why it's deciding to work just fine now

5 minutes ago, bobbybdennis said:

So I moved the Fiber to the OPT port and spectrum to WAN and fingers crossed everything is working. I have ipchicken open with a 5 second autorefresh running and we are at 50 interval  with everything working and not dropping off once yet.... not sure why it's deciding to work just fine now

disregard, spectrum stayed up and fiber went off. Im just going to connect back to fiber and see if it is actually going offline that would be one coincidence 

36 minutes ago, bobbybdennis said:

disregard, spectrum stayed up and fiber went off. Im just going to connect back to fiber and see if it is actually going offline that would be one coincidence 

Are you using the ISP provided routers? If so, how are they configured? Are the IP’s being passed to your OPT and WAN local or public addresses?

1 hour ago, LIGISTX said:

Are you using the ISP provided routers? If so, how are they configured? Are the IP’s being passed to your OPT and WAN local or public addresses?

spectrum is isp,  fiber is netgear, I think I'm going to configure my Netgear for 10.x.x.x and then sepctrum to 192.x.x.x  , maybe that will help fix somet rhings up ,  the  WAN / OPT are my publics being passed, I'm gonna call their support tmrw maybe they can help me without me having to pay their $399/yr service fee if not ill see what i can use the pfsense for within my network 

7 hours ago, bobbybdennis said:

spectrum is isp,  fiber is netgear, I think I'm going to configure my Netgear for 10.x.x.x and then sepctrum to 192.x.x.x  , maybe that will help fix somet rhings up ,  the  WAN / OPT are my publics being passed, I'm gonna call their support tmrw maybe they can help me without me having to pay their $399/yr service fee if not ill see what i can use the pfsense for within my network 

Check if you can put the two ISP routers into bridge mode. That means that whatever you plug into it's ethernet ports get the public ip and the router just acts as a media converter (coaxial, fiber, etc to ethernet). Then in pfsense you should have a public ip from both ISPs, once that is done, you can create rules to send some traffic to each ISP.

Since you want to use an app from spectrum to access media, I recommend you figure out which ip's it connects to and create a rule that sends traffic to those ip's via the spectrum line.

1 hour ago, mtz_federico said:

Check if you can put the two ISP routers into bridge mode. That means that whatever you plug into it's ethernet ports get the public ip and the router just acts as a media converter (coaxial, fiber, etc to ethernet). Then in pfsense you should have a public ip from both ISPs, once that is done, you can create rules to send some traffic to each ISP.

Since you want to use an app from spectrum to access media, I recommend you figure out which ip's it connects to and create a rule that sends traffic to those ip's via the spectrum line.

Exactly this. I just don’t know if OP has them configured to DMZ/bridge mode. Never got that answer. 

pfsense should be the only appliance on the network doing routing.

1 hour ago, LIGISTX said:

Exactly this. I just don’t know if OP has them configured to DMZ/bridge mode. Never got that answer. 

pfsense should be the only appliance on the network doing routing.

As of right now i have everything Factory reset. I'm gonna look for a step by step video or guide on setting up 2 wans on a pf sense. even if i have to manujally disable fiber to get kicked onto fiber, that's fine. I just don't want it kicking me off randomly is the big thing. 

3 hours ago, mtz_federico said:

tagging you too so you can see i answered, as far as doing bridge mode I am not sure how to do that I am going to look for a step by step guide for doing 2 wans into a pfsense, From what my buddy was saying he said it shoulnd't be more than configuring OPT as WAN2 and plugging it in and go 

5 minutes ago, bobbybdennis said:

it shoulnd't be more than configuring OPT as WAN2 and plugging it in and go

Yes, and then you only need to add rules for what traffic goes where or if it just acts as a backup connection (from a quick look, this is what the video shows).

If you can connect to the isp routers while they are also connected to pfsense (before putting them in bridge mode), check if the internet works for both of them when it stops working in pfsense.

16 minutes ago, bobbybdennis said:

as far as doing bridge mode I am not sure how to do that

If you could share your ISPs routers models, I could help you with some research.

23 minutes ago, bobbybdennis said:

as far as doing bridge mode I am not sure how to do that I am going to look for a step by step guide for doing 2 wans into a pfsense, From what my buddy was saying he said it shoulnd't be more than configuring OPT as WAN2 and plugging it in and go 

Bridge mode is step 1. Get them into bridge mode, and things may start working normally. 

I watched the video you originally posted, that was pretty solid and I think should work fine. Just have to make sure the ISP devices are in bridge or DMZ mode. 

2 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

Bridge mode is step 1. Get them into bridge mode, and things may start working normally. 

I watched the video you originally posted, that was pretty solid and I think should work fine. Just have to make sure the ISP devices are in bridge or DMZ mode. 

I'm thinking it is the fiber modem giving me the issue, I had Fiber into WAN and my gaming PC into LAN .  Was working  about 850 down 950 up  but then it randomly started just discconecting. I believe the modem doesn't like something with the PFsense, but  the spectrum modem works just fine with it . For now I have just bought a USB network adapter and when i wanna use spectrum i just connect to it and disable the fiber network. I just don't have the time i use to to be able to sit down for days troubleshooting lol  I do appreciate all your guys help and suggestions.