Homelab: 4 or 5 bay ssd enclosure for DAS with RAID Capabilities?!

crzp

Hey everyone,

currently i'm running my homelab with proxmox on a gigabyte brix 4800u unit with an internal 500GB NVMe drive.

Everything's running fine and smoothly. This thing has more than enough power for what i want it to do and it sucks only ~10-11Watts from the wall.

Now, for storage i thought it would be easy to directly attach a few ssds (that are in an enclosure of some sort) via usb-c and be done with it.

As it turns out, i was wrong. 

There are so few options, and the information about these things is sparse, at best.

I am stuck at this point, as i cant decide what is good or bad for my use case,

and i was hoping for help from you guys.

What i want to do:

I have a few spare Crucial MX500 1TB SSDs and i want to use them to expand my storage on this little box.

I was thinking some 4 or 5 bay ssd enclosure, preferably with USB 3.2 Gen2 Type C to get the best possible bandwith the Brix supports.

I want to be able to use raid, probably raid-5.

If possible i would like it to be for 2.5" drives only, so that it is slim.

Now my question is:

What to buy and use? 

I saw stuff like the Sabrent Docking Station, for ~70€ (~81$)

up to things like ICY BOX External 4-Way USB-C Enclosure for around 190€ (~220$) (and i'm not really sure the 2.5" ssds would fit in there without additional brackets)

Suggestions, feedback, experiences with that kind of stuff, etc are very welcome.

PS:

Please excuse my poor english.

5 hours ago, crzp said:

I want to be able to use raid, probably raid-5.

Id do this with zfs in proxmox, not with the enclsoure, it will work better here.

And also all usb enclosure normally have a higher issues rate than internal sata, so just warning you.

Id probably go with the sabrent enclosure here, seems to be the best option here.

with the price of ssd enclosures these days, its probably cheaper to just grab an old dual or quad core off e-bay and use that with unraid or freenas or something. the expensive part will be getting decent speeds over the network since usb really is a bad interface for a VM storage space,  proxmox as i recall, will let you use NFS shares for datastores.  

other option is a sas expander that you can plug right into a controller on your server. those are pretty cheap.  

Thank you both for your answers 🤗

On 10/14/2021 at 10:45 PM, derr12 said:

with the price of ssd enclosures these days, its probably cheaper to just grab an old dual or quad core off e-bay and use that with unraid or freenas or something. the expensive part will be getting decent speeds over the network since usb really is a bad interface for a VM storage space,  proxmox as i recall, will let you use NFS shares for datastores.  

other option is a sas expander that you can plug right into a controller on your server. those are pretty cheap.  

Sadly i do not have any more space, nor do i want to have an extra machine running just for the storage.

Electricity is expensive in germany.

The vm-disks can run off of the internal nvme drive.
The extra storage was supposed to be mounted seperatly into the VMs, for example a data folder for nextcloud.

On 10/14/2021 at 5:40 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id do this with zfs in proxmox, not with the enclsoure, it will work better here.

And also all usb enclosure normally have a higher issues rate than internal sata, so just warning you.

My little home-server is a NUC-like PC, so there's not enough space for more then one internal ssd and thats where an enclosure would come in.

On 10/14/2021 at 5:40 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id probably go with the sabrent enclosure here, seems to be the best option here.

Thank you. 

I'll look around a few more days, but if nothing else pops up, i'll give it a go.

In that case i'll keep you guys updated on the progress.