PSU making buzzing noises even with fan off and shutting down

M0SIE

I have a seasonic snow silent 1050w as the title says it buzzes when its under load especially when playing newer games and shuts my computer down any clue on what is happening?

12 minutes ago, M0SIE said:

I have a seasonic snow silent 1050w as the title says it buzzes when its under load especially when playing newer games and shuts my computer down any clue on what is happening?

If a psu starts shutting your computer down you know that thing is waiting to blow up, swap the psu as soon as you can

maybe the psu voltages go haywire for some reason, back when i was using generic oem psus for my p5q the 12v voltages got up to 14.2v and it does shutdown quite alot, not to mention the cpu vcore going nuts, i set vcore to 1.6, idles at 1.75c but under load it droops to the expected ~1.55v (llc off)

5 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

If a psu starts shutting your computer down you know that thing is waiting to blow up, swap the psu as soon as you can

maybe the psu voltages go haywire for some reason, back when i was using generic oem psus for my p5q the 12v voltages got up to 14.2v and it does shutdown quite alot, not to mention the cpu vcore going nuts, i set vcore to 1.6, idles at 1.75c but under load it droops to the expected ~1.55v (llc off)

I see i already bought a replacement just wanted to know why was there sound in the psu that was not from the fan

30 minutes ago, M0SIE said:

Yeah so that thing is defective. Good news tho it came with a loooong warranty period so can still send it back for rma and get a nice new one back.

4 hours ago, M0SIE said:

And.... What's the rest of the build?

What graphics card?

6 hours ago, M0SIE said:

shuts my computer down

Is it actual shutdown or restart ? If it's shutdown then can you power the PC back right away with the button on the case or not ? What are other PC parts ? Are you using cable extensions ?

6 hours ago, M0SIE said:

it buzzes when its under load especially when playing newer games

It's normal for older PSU.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

7 hours ago, --SID-- said:

What GPU do you have?

A Gigabyte Vision 3070

6 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

And.... What's the rest of the build?

What graphics card?

A Gigabyte Vision 3070 AsRock B550 Pro4 Ryzen 5 5600X 4x8gb corsair vengeance 3200Mhz

4 hours ago, Juular said:

Is it actual shutdown or restart ? If it's shutdown then can you power the PC back right away with the button on the case or not ? What are other PC parts ? Are you using cable extensions ?

It's normal for older PSU.

Not really a shut down it blacks out and i have to cut the power off to the pc for 30 seconds before i can turn it back on again, i used to have extensions took them out but the problems persisted 

18 minutes ago, M0SIE said:

A Gigabyte Vision 3070 AsRock B550 Pro4 Ryzen 5 5600X 4x8gb corsair vengeance 3200Mhz

Ah... yes... Worked fine with your previous build, didn't it?

That's a common issue with Seasonic made PSUs and Ampere cards.

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

Yeah exactly what i thought. I thought i going was crazy haha

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

Could you explain abit more to be i had no idea about this issue

2 hours ago, M0SIE said:

Could you explain abit more to be i had no idea about this issue

Old Seasonic Focus had the same problem with AMD Vega, they're very power hungry cards and introduce some noise back through sense wire to the PSU which causes the unexpected shutdown due to the flaw in PSU design. New nVidia Amperes are very similar in all that. Old Seasonic SnowSilent (and the new one too for that matter) apparently had the same issue, and in addition to that it's just an old unit overall. You can try to contact Seasonic about that if it still has live warranty.

32 minutes ago, Juular said:

Old Seasonic Focus had the same problem with AMD Vega, they're very power hungry cards and introduce some noise back through sense wire to the PSU which causes the unexpected shutdown due to the flaw in PSU design. New nVidia Amperes are very similar in all that. Old Seasonic SnowSilent (and the new one too for that matter) apparently had the same issue, and in addition to that it's just an old unit overall. You can try to contact Seasonic about that if it still has live warranty.

I see so its just a design flaw. sadly this was from cousin and he opened the unit up before destroying the sticker. 

12 hours ago, M0SIE said:

I see so its just a design flaw. sadly this was from cousin and he opened the unit up before destroying the sticker. 

Okay.  Then there's one thing you can try.  Locate the +12V sense and remove it.  You'll know it's the +12V sense because on the 24-pin, it will be the +12V with the double wires.  The thinner of the two wires is your sense wire.  Just cut it or pop it out.

7 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Okay.  Then there's one thing you can try.  Locate the +12V sense and remove it.  You'll know it's the +12V sense because on the 24-pin, it will be the +12V with the double wires.  The thinner of the two wires is your sense wire.  Just cut it or pop it out.

Do you have a picture refrence?

12 hours ago, M0SIE said:

Do you have a picture refrence?

atx-connector-20-24pin.jpeg

One of the pins on 24-pin motherboard connector would have two wires coming out, one of them would be thinner (higher AWG gauge), you follow that wire back to PSU side of the cable and pull that pin out. To do that you'll need to push two tabs on sides of the terminal from the connecting side, get some thin tools or pieces of metal or thinner paper clips, insert them between the terminal and plastic housing and pull the wire. All that obviously with the PSU disconnected from the mains but technically you're working only with the cable so it detaching altogether would be easier anyway.

microfit-housings-pins.jpg.a1e587b1b7f42317ca503a6d480f12d4.jpg

On 10/13/2021 at 7:20 AM, M0SIE said:

sounds like psu is failing