Dual M.2 Recommendations

shinegull
Go to solution Solved by Cattrick,

I think there are two pros' for the Sabrent. A large write cache will make the drive keep up higher speeds for longer, good for heavy file transfer use. With 1800 TBW it will also last forever unless you thrash it with unreasonably large workloads per day. 

For gaming, size is fantastic. Price is completely insane and unjustifiable on every level. But eh, it's only money. 

I'm looking to upgrade my drives and thinking of going for a dual m.2 setup. I was originally thinking a 2Tb 980 Pro as main with a sabrent 8 tb as secondary. However, I've also heard a lot about how companies are changing small controllers or parts and making either not last as long or not running as fast. I dont know much about that. If it makes a difference. my main drive slot has 1 motherboard cooler and secondary does not, though I did get a m.2 passive cooler for it.

Looking for more options and recommendations please

I do have pcie 4.0 on my motherboard.

for the main drive speed is priority. for second drive. storage and reliability comes before speed, though id still like it to be fast

Are you running any sort of server like workloads that require you to regularly transfer massive files? If not gen4 is useless

980 pro is the fastest gen4 ssd i know of though 8tb sabrent ssd is just bad value, i think those things cost 1.6k which is stupid since you can literally buy 8tb of 980 pros for that price, maybe look for a 4tb ssd instead or just have 2 secondary drives

I think there are two pros' for the Sabrent. A large write cache will make the drive keep up higher speeds for longer, good for heavy file transfer use. With 1800 TBW it will also last forever unless you thrash it with unreasonably large workloads per day. 

For gaming, size is fantastic. Price is completely insane and unjustifiable on every level. But eh, it's only money. 

13 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Are you running any sort of server like workloads that require you to regularly transfer massive files? If not gen4 is useless

980 pro is the fastest gen4 ssd i know of though 8tb sabrent ssd is just bad value, i think those things cost 1.6k which is stupid since you can literally buy 8tb of 980 pros for that price, maybe look for a 4tb ssd instead or just have 2 secondary drives

i only have 2 m.2 slots afaik.

are there any other good options for 4tb to 8 tb drives?

3 hours ago, Cattrick said:

I did seem to have some trouble finding 8tb m.2 ssd (which is actually not that suprising considering the cost....) but i want to reduce the amount of times i need to dump my files into my NAS as well.